Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #29

Just a reminder, in MN and possibly other states, it is a misdemeanor.

"Open Bottle is a misdemeanor crime, punishable by up to 90 days in jail and/or a $1,000 fine." See https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169A.35

Plan on at least an expensive inconvenience. And maybe increased insurance premium.

Each chooses their own level of risk.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

What can I say? I like to live on the edge.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Yes. Most LEOs would let it go.

I have a cooler in the storage bay for travel days that says I wont have an issue with a grumpy LEO.

I know some folks that get grumpy with a LEO just for being pulled over.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW
Living Life on the Edge - A Tale of Adventure and Intrigue by SarahW

When the mild mannered Sarah ripped the label of the mattress, her world was forever changed.

New York Times Best Seller List.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Right on - a little common sense goes a long way.

Been RVing for more than 50 years and most often had at least a few beer and some wine in my RV. And this is totally legal in many, perhaps most, places and I have never heard of any RVer being cited for just carrying opened alcohol containers in thier living quarters.

I do not intend to change my habits. So to each his/her own. Do whatever you are comfortable with.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Well, kind of along the same lines....In the PA. State Parks, as you check in, they ask " Do you have any alcoholic beverages in your RV"? I kind of remember them asking this the last 3 seasons.
I have red plastic solo cups, spill proof cups can and long neck bottle insulated rubber cozies when outdoors. When ever challenged, I respond with "Why do you ask?" [moderator edit]
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
The OP simply had a curious question. I appreciate him asking and the resulting conversation. The only dumb question is the one not asked.
I agree. Thanks for saying so. Sometimes a "delete my weird message" button would be handy.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

When the mild mannered Sarah ripped the label of the mattress, her world was forever changed.

Someday I plan to tug on Superman's cape and spit into the wind. That will be in Chapter 12. Chapter 11, "Getting Bailed Out After Run-in With LEO Searching Motorhome and Other Open Container Adventures."
Old 01-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #37

I live in MN too. I have to say to be completely legal you would not have it in the cab of the vehicle in any way. It would have to be in a outside /non accessible compartment. I would not risk it myself. They are sticklers on this sort of thing. You may meet the right PO that doesn't care, or you may not. Do you really want to get hung up for weeks while your court date is being made and then spend money on a lawyer. Keep it in a outside compartment is the easiest way.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you have a 5er, there is no problem, all the good stuff is in the living quarters, and they need a search warrant to get in the door.
Now going across the borders, that is a different story.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #39

Check the Minnesota law's definition of "possession". If there are no passengers in the living area of the RV and the open but capped liter of booze is in a galley cabinet I doubt it would be a violation.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

Only illegal if you don't eat that tag....it says only to be removed by consumer.... wink wink.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
If you have a 5er, there is no problem, all the good stuff is in the living quarters, and they need a search warrant to get in the door.
Now going across the borders, that is a different story.
Frank
Obviously since we are talking about open containers while driving the main door would be closed. But, I had a friend who was at a public park once and the police walked right in his rig. When he asked them how they could do that they said because it was only the screen door he had shut that is not considered a real door and anytime the door is open on anything they have the right to walk in without a warrant.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have been searched entering Canada and back into the US. both times they were very intimidating which I think is their schtick to see if you panic. The US agents confiscated my Wife's oranges and limes last Summer.

Last Summer we came back into the US at Baudette, Mn. and we were the only vehicle in sight. Three came storming out and went through the coach. One told me to open all the compartments. I complied even when he said, "enough".

I really think they had nothing else to do that day, and needed to justify their jobs. There were also two females in the booth. That made five agents sitting there with nothing to do.

We were searched once by the US just because we were driving our Airstream 345 and the agent said he just wanted to see inside.

We were also stopped in Norfolk, Va going into a tunnel because the agents wanted to see the coach.

In all cases there were open bottles of hooch in the cupboard. Nothing said.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote