Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #1

Open or close roof vents for winter in snowy Colorado?

Our roof vents have the maxx vent covers and the ramble vent covers. We kept them open all summer with no problems with rain etc.

To keep air circulating I would love to keep them open all winter while the RV is in storage. Does anyone have experience doing this in a snowy climate? Any problems with this plan? Should I only keep them open an inch or so or is fully open OK? Or is it advised to shut them tight.

We are first year RV owners.

Thanks!
Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
CD

I would think fine blowing snow (which I am sure you get) could be a problem with vent open or closed. If it got in on the closed vent, where would the water go when it melted. No, I haven't experienced it, but I know fine blowing snow can get into just about everything.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
IMHO you should be able to just ''crack'' your crank up vent. Turn it maybe half a turn where the ''vent cap'' is up enough to let air circulate but not up enough to actually let snow in without having to go ''up hill'' over the inside edge this of course with the understand that you do have ''Max Airs'' over the complete outfit. Also, it is assumed that you have everything that will freeze out of the coach and it winterized with anti freeze. It gets cold in Colorado..... (been there, done that)
With the ''vent cap'' just ''cracked'' it would give you circulation to keep the coach ''fresh'' inside.

Lots of luck and remember this advise is worth exactly what you are paying for it..... NOTHING....
Of course if it works well for you ,,,,,, you can give me ten cents the next time you see me so you wont look cheap......lol....

Be safe and dont forget to THANK A VET FOR YOUR FREEDOM THIS NOV 11....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #4

My mother owned a condo in a snowy region that had roof vents that were allowing wind blown snow to enter the vent and spot her ceiling.

The "fix" was to cut a piece of residential furnace filter slightly larger than the opening and wedging it into the opening ... no more snow blowing in the vent ... and it allowed air to flow both directions

Perhaps that would work for you too.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #5

I store my hunting trailer up in Gunnison and leave the vents open just slightly
for storage and have never had any snow get in.Vent covers as you have.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #6

We left our vents open just slightly. I have maxxair covers on them. Yes, we did get some light snow blowing into them. One vent is in the bathroom and the other is in the cabover of our Class C. In our case, there was nothing that could be damaged by snow melt. If you are concerned about possible snow melt then the furnace filter (matted material type) would probably work for you.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks for all the replies. We may try the furnace filters just to be safe. Not sure how I'll get my husband to get on the roof and put them in as he is for closing it up tight and I think the air circulation will be beneficial.

Thanks again!
Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #8

Michelle, I too opt for the open vents. If you have the Maxair vents, you should be fine just cracking them open enough for air to move. They don't have to be open very much for air to move. I let ours open all winter, however ours has a cover on, so no worries.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote