Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Opinions of Sleep Number Bed

Hi Folks, thinking of replacing the mattress in our 2006 HR Navigator. What are your opinions of Sleep Number, Casper, Reverie, memory foam etc. DE has bad hip and current mattress, while nice, is just too hard for her. Are the sleep numbers beds made for RVs? Didn't find anything on line.

sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
We had a water bed in our house for the first 20 years of marriage and loved it. When it finally went bad, we bought another very high quality water bed. With all the baffles and tougher vinyl, it was like a rock. We then tried an air bed, not a Sleep Number, but an equivalent. It seemed okay for about a year and then it seemed our backs were sore every morning.

We finally bought a high end pillow top mattress that we love. In our last coach, we tired the Costco topper mattress atop the mattress that came with the coach and then eventually changed it to a pillow top like our house. When we got our new coach, it came with a Sleep Number bed. We tried it for several months and just didn't like it. Finally, we bought another pillow top and sleep like a baby.

The moral of the story.....try to match what you sleep on at home and enjoy. Many love the Sleep Number bed, but it just didn't work for us. You have to take into consideration your own issues, such as a bad back, side or stomach sleeper, etc. I sleep on my side and anything too firm makes my shoulders ache.

You can ask for a hundred opinions here, but no one can tell you what will work for you.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We've had Sleep Number beds in the house and RV for about 15 years. The one in the house is a king size with separate controls for each side. We love it!

The one in the RV is a queen size with separate controls. I'm fine with it, but Annette has always complained that she rolls to one side! I really think it's just that the queen is more narrow and she's getting too far toward the center where there is a piece of foam rubber between the two air chambers resulting in a low place between them.

As Don said, they're not for everyone! One good thing about the Sleep Number is the 30-day money-back guarantee! You will have plenty of time to find out if it's for you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we just replaced our bed with a sleep number m7 with the gel foam top.
compared to the old bed....hands down wonderful,
i have back issues and it works for me, and is providing a much less painful nights rest.
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
Thanks for your input. We are still doing research and as you all mentioned everyone has different needs. Diane has a bad hip so she needs some softness....I can sleep on a rock lol.
Jerry & Diane Kovar
2006 HR Navigator 43pbq
2015 Jeep Wrangler/Blue Ox Avanta
Old 02-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #6
Well, we have a queen sleep number in the motorhome and love it. We have a king size pillow top high end mattress at home and I hate it.

Like has already been said each to his/her own.

My only problem with the sleep number bed in the coach is it does get BIG when going to higher elevations. Gotta remember to deflate it a bit before going over the Rockies or it will look like a blimp under the blankets!
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
Sleep on one in the house. Took several months to get use to it but I like it now and would buy another.
2014 Excursion 35B
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #8
Lol the guy at the sleep number shop warned us that you must deflate it a bit as to travel to high altitudes.
Jerry & Diane Kovar
2006 HR Navigator 43pbq
2015 Jeep Wrangler/Blue Ox Avanta
Old 02-28-2016, 05:39 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep! Either you love em or hate them. I took mine out and replaced it with a custom foam mattress. I took the sleep number right to the Salvation Army. My sister in law loves her sleep number. Not for me.
07 Meridian 34H 350 Cat
2010 Subaru Forester Tow
Home Port is Kingman,Az
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #10
My wife is disabled and spends a lot of time in bed. I often sit with her and watch tv / use the computer. I found the sleep number beds are not comfortable to sit on. The memory foam ones are much better.
2000 Dutch Star 3891;Dodge Neon Toad.
JohnHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:11 PM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
Modified our Coach to fit the king size Sleep Number in it. Traveled through Santa Fe last summer and had no issues with it. Maybe we sleep at too low a number for altitude to bother it. I wouldn't be without it. It's the best sleep for me and the DW.
Steve n' Tammy with Ella Mae the "Shippet" in a 2003 Fleetwood Bounder 32' on a Ford F53 Chassis and a V-10 gasser pulling a 2013 Ford Edge on a EZE Tow Dolly
c92vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #12

Opinions of Sleep Number Bed

We have a 7 year old fullsize king (not RV size) Sleepnumber. At first it was very close to perfect. Then we added 2.5 inches of memory foam. More than perfect! We both have spine issues and this beauty totally fits the purpose.
It automatically vents if over pressurized.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #13
We purchased the Casper mattress for the house last December and love it. We had the sleep number for several years and after replacing two remotes and the topper part of the mattress wearing out we went for the Casper. This is one nice mattress. 100 night free trial and if you aren't satisfied they will pick it up and pay for return shipping.
Bruce & Sarah, 2016 Keystone Sprinter 319MKS, 2016 Ram 2500HD 6.4L, 1997 Ranger Rebel I/B Jet Bass Boat (not at the same time)
St. Charles, MO.
bttravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #14
We have the sleep number king at home, and would never own any other brand I like a hard bed and the DW likes a soft bed, but if I like I can change mine or she hers. We have a friend that has it in their RV and love it, in fact after trying theirs out that is the reason we bought one for the house, .
We will have one in the TT before long too.

Every Meal is a Picnic and every Day a Holiday
nineoaks2004 is offline   Reply With Quote