Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Opinions of these Service Contract Providers

I have decided to purchase a Vehicle Service Contract (VSC). Some call it an extended warranty.

I have narrowed it down to 3 choices, if I am missing one you feel is worthy please comment.

I would love to hear from those of you that have had either positive of negative experiences with these companies.

The short list:
EasyCare - TotalCare - 4 years /48,000 miles / $500.00 deductible - $2,885.00 they only offer inclusionary polices so that is a downside

GoodSam - 4 years / 48,000 miles / $500.00 deductible - $3500.00
they only offer inclusionary polices so that is a downside

CSI Allegiance, backed by General Fidelity - 7 years / 100,000 miles / $50.00 deductible - $4351.00 includes coverage for consequential damages
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGE Reimbursement is provided in the event of a Breakdown of a Covered Part due to the failure of a non-covered part or a Breakdown of a non-covered part due to the failure of a Covered Part.

I think the Consequential Damage coverage and the fact that this policy is exclusionary are both big pluses.

Thanks

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If I were going to buy one (and I won't ever again) I'd get the CSI Allegiance for the reasons you cited.

That $4,351 can repair a lot of things that might go wrong. One of which is that company goes belly up as lots have, leaving you with nothing.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You should be able to wheel and deal on the prices also. In the few times I've bought extended service plans for vehicles, I've never paid what they initially quoted. Even got up and walked out the door with the sales person right behind until they lowered the price to what I felt comfortable with. I'm sure you know, but read the fine print very carefully as they will look for ANY loophole to avoid paying a claim.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee
I have decided to purchase a Vehicle Service Contract (VSC). Some call it an extended warranty.

I have narrowed it down to 3 choices, if I am missing one you feel is worthy please comment.

I would love to hear from those of you that have had either positive of negative experiences with these companies.

The short list:
EasyCare - TotalCare - 4 years /48,000 miles / $500.00 deductible - $2,885.00 they only offer inclusionary polices so that is a downside

GoodSam - 4 years / 48,000 miles / $500.00 deductible - $3500.00
they only offer inclusionary polices so that is a downside

CSI Allegiance, backed by General Fidelity - 7 years / 100,000 miles / $50.00 deductible - $4351.00 includes coverage for consequential damages
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGE – Reimbursement is provided in the event of a Breakdown of a Covered Part due to the failure of a non-covered part or a Breakdown of a non-covered part due to the failure of a Covered Part.

I think the Consequential Damage coverage and the fact that this policy is exclusionary are both big pluses.

Thanks
Try GoRVwarranty.com. Just got a 7 year for much less than Good Sam. Nice people also!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I can't compare the "value" of each since the prices will vary greatly but we've been very happy with our Easy Care 7 year policy on our new DP. They've handled all claims without blinking an eye.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm in the same situation on an "extended" service contract due to the new RV. For the most part I'm down to choosing between the Good Sam policy that they refer to it as an insurance policy. The rep tried to explain the diff between an insurance policy and a warranty policy, but got to admit that I did not understand it. The GS policy is $3000 with a $100 deductable for 4 years or the Extra Ride Policy for $3900 plus with $100 deductible for $4000 for 5 years with a $100 deductible. I had the ER on the Tiffin. Even though it was their so called "Platnium" policy, which is supposed to be their best, it did not cover the replacement of the drivers side seat belt when it went south or the labor of chasing down why nearly all the front end electrical accessories went down due to a loose connection under the dash. I need to make a decision pretty soon so that I'm covered on any breakdowns or malfunctions.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #7

I just received a good quote from ACC. I am currently with Good Sam but I will not renew. The ACC plan also includes a tire warranty. I have to read the fine print but I can already tell that this is a better plan than GS
Old 11-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater View Post
I have to read the fine print but I can already tell that this is a better plan than GS
Therein lies the "secret" with a service policy!! Read and UNDERSTAND the fine print before signing on the dotted line. Most of the people who are dissatisfied with them don't understand the coverage.

Most will have a disclaimer about "if a covered part is damaged by a non covered part then neither is covered"

Also, be sure you do the required maintenance: One poster had a transmission failure, the policy required him to do certain maintenance. They asked for his service records and found that the owner had missed an engine oil change by 750 miles. On the basis of this they denied coverage. He did get his money back for the policy though when the company cancelled his policy.

Another person had an underhood fire, the shorted out wire that caused te resulting fire was covered, but none of the resulting damage was.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

Another person had an underhood fire, the shorted out wire that caused te resulting fire was covered, but none of the resulting damage was.
I sure agree about reading and understanding the contracts but I don't think I would look to my extended warranty/service contract to repair fire damage. Isn't that covered by the comprehensive part of the coach insurance?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

Most will have a disclaimer about "if a covered part is damaged by a non covered part then neither is covered"
This is why I am leaning towards the CSI Allegiance policy. It has the consequential damages piece. Cost for 7 years is only an additional $145.00.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing that we did before we purchased a service contract on our pickup was to talk to 3 different service writers at verious dealerships to find out what companys were the easiest to deal with, we found out that the one we were going to sign with would not cover about 1/3 of the rigs brought in, we did sign with GMC and got the price knocked down almost $1000.00 at the time of signing. We made out real good and within 20 mo's had made our money back, than on we were home free... although that dosent lend to our choice of a truck......
Old 12-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #12

I just received a quote from wholesalewarranties.net
They proposed a 4 year, 48K mile contract by Star RV, Diamond coverage including wheel and tire coverage for $4400.

Anyone familiar with them?
Old 12-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I worked for over 20 years in a vehicle dealership. The ext warranty dept was a very good profit center. Consumer reports will tell you, not to purchase an extended warranty. They also say if you feel you must for peace of mind, ONLY buy the manufacturers offering.
Do any MH manufacturers offer one?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
johnnyringo,

I have an extended warranty through Interstate which includes Star RV as one of their brand names. It is the Diamond version. I've used it several times. This year, they have paid for a new alternator, replaced HWH jacks, new wiper motor and some other repairs. They have honored the policy everytime without any fuss, including labor. No deductible.

In the long run, I don't know if I'll recover the cost, but it sure makes traveling less stressful knowing that repairs will be covered.

W8RLM - Bob

Tags
service