Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #1

Opinions on awning lights, ground lights, etc.

Need thought's about awning light's, rope, or those little trinket like ball's, what do you like, or is unique, rope light's: is LED better?
What about lighting under the camper (TT) frame or body?
Also on the ground around the camper or the patio area?
Any pro's and con's or preference's on using?

By the way we are waiting on delivery of a 2017 Crossroad's Super Lite Sunset Bunk House model, 3 slide's, island kitchen, outside kitchen. I excited, been kicking the idea around for 2 summer's and finally pulled the trigger grandkid's will be extatic, we haven't told them yet.
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Others will disagree with me but I am not a fan of exterior accent lights. When I'm camping I prefer looking at the stars or a campfire.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Others will disagree with me but I am not a fan of exterior accent lights. When I'm camping I prefer looking at the stars or a campfire.
Same here but my wife likes them for some reason, she thinks it looks cool. So far I've been able to convince her that it would be a pain everytime we bring in the awning, which is anytime we are away from the MH.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #4

I can understand that, I like the God created wonder's myself, but that's why they are on a switch, to keep everyone happy.
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 keystone View Post
Need thought's about awning light's, rope, or those little trinket like ball's, what do you like, or is unique, rope light's: is LED better?
What about lighting under the camper (TT) frame or body?
Also on the ground around the camper or the patio area?
Any pro's and con's or preference's on using?

By the way we are waiting on delivery of a 2017 Crossroad's Super Lite Sunset Bunk House model, 3 slide's, island kitchen, outside kitchen. I excited, been kicking the idea around for 2 summer's and finally pulled the trigger grandkid's will be extatic, we haven't told them yet.

I did this a few months ago!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/got-m...ed-227755.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #6

i go camping to get away from all the lights and enjoy the stars. why people have to bring the city with them is beyond me.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

Joe I just looked at your thread! That looks great and you did a fine job. I'm going to use your thread as a reference for my LED tinkering when I get around to it. Thank you for that!

By the way, I'm curious as to what kind of electronics repair you did. Anything specifically, or just about everything? Did you work for Peavey? If a risk of throwing this thread off topic, feel free to PM me if you want.

Best regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:02 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I like the ability to have lights when needed, but I'm not big with lighting up the entire campsite. The way you camp also determines what you need. When we were younger, had a smaller rig, and spent most of our time outside with the kids while on trips, we needed more exterior light to play games. Back then the motor home was smaller and really only used for sleeping.....no TV.

Now that we're older, we tend to either visit inside or sit around the fire for awhile and go in. I still like having lighting though. I added LED's under the coach on both sides. They're mounted to the frame and angled down and out toward the sides of the coach. They have both a dimmer and a timer. When turned all the way up, they produce some pretty good lighting. When dimmed to half power, they provide great ambiance and enough light to safely move around, without ruining sitting under the stars, since the light is under you.

My son-in-law took the same LED strip (16' on Amazon for about $20.00) and mounted it under his awning against the trailer. It's dimmable and provides great lighting for safety or game playing with the grandkids.

Don't let the "light police" scare you off on here. Everyone camps differently and has different needs. If you need light outside, install them and turn them on. The only thing we should ALL be doing is making sure we turn them off when we go in.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:27 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I admit I'm like some here. I like to be able to see the stars and sit around a fire. Saying that I've also found our present rig to need More outside lighting. I have three strips to go under each step and would like to add some like Don has done. Just too many Dr's appts for the DW right now along with all the yard work at the stick house.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
X2 Never liked them and would not install anything out side to dampen the campfire and stars. We enjoy camping.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:33 AM   #11

Some people take it to extreme. I've seen some camp sites that have enough lights out you'd think you were in Vegas at night.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #12
IC2

Moderation is fine!!
I have a gadget I built to turn the clearance lights on if we have to go out. I've used it exactly once. I've seen a couple where the owner has put the clearance lights on a blinker - and that is pure tacky IMO. I may add a length of LEDs under each side of the 5er to help in set up or a final nightly walk around with the pups, but not to leave on. There is one family that show up yearly at our seasonal CG that seems to need a parking lot set of lights to babble loudly for 15 hours a day in front of a roaring campfire - so we just go home.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #13

Some people have a need in their lives to be gaudy and loud. (and in this case, bright)

Other people do not have this need.

Most of us fall somewhere in the middle.

I have some LEDs that I added and are switched just inside the MH door. I don't leave them on, generally, when away from the MH, but my personal rule of thumb is that I have them all set to not shine outside of my campsite.

Some may be visible from outside, but not directed outside, if that makes sense. The fairly bright ones outside under the awning are easily controlled by the angle of the awning, so if I want enough light to play board games with the kids on the table outside, I can keep it inside the campsite by lowering the outer edge of the awning. The rest are much more muted and face the ground.

I believe that how and how much we present to others is also a window into who we are.

Some people are just more humble than others. Most often, their exterior lighting (and music) reflect just that.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
My DW bought two strings of lantern lights 12 years ago.

They are still in the original boxes.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, lights