Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 keystone View Post
Need thought's about awning light's, rope, or those little trinket like ball's, what do you like, or is unique, rope light's: is LED better?
What about lighting under the camper (TT) frame or body?
Also on the ground around the camper or the patio area?
Any pro's and con's or preference's on using?
WHY????

I am sorry and I will probably offend some people by this statement; but to me it looks trashy and cheap. Why do people put up "Dingle Berries on their awnings? Just my opinion! I have even moved sites in a campground to get away from the extra lighting some people put up.

When we sit outside at night, I like to see the firelight from the wood fire and the stars overhead, nothing else. If you need the extra light to see where you are going use a flashlight and aim it down to the ground.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #16

DW likes a little light under the awning for "ambiance". She has some that look like grape clusters that give off just enough light to keep me from tripping over furniture and such (most of the time). I attach them to the valance of the awning fabric with just a few quick release clips so the awing can be retracted quickly and easily.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #17

I have an aluminum domed work light. It lights plenty good nuff for outdoor cooking and such, and goes to wherever needed. The high-tech on/off switch allows for great star gazing.
If I need more light, the scare lights are great for short term use.
The rigs lit like a carousel pretty much wreck the ambiance of camping.
Just my view from the saddle

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put a LED strip under the coach on the passenger side only. Not a fan of bright lights at night, and the LED strip allows me to see the ground in the patio area about 4 feet away from the coach without blinding me or others. The ones I bought can be dimmed to suit my needs.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
WHY????

I am sorry and I will probably offend some people by this statement; but to me it looks trashy and cheap. Why do people put up "Dingle Berries on their awnings? Just my opinion! I have even moved sites in a campground to get away from the extra lighting some people put up.

When we sit outside at night, I like to see the firelight from the wood fire and the stars overhead, nothing else. If you need the extra light to see where you are going use a flashlight and aim it down to the ground.
Well I definitely got one question answered and not just by u, their are plenty other's on your boat, I understand and respect your thought's, u answered my last ? though.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
I put a LED strip under the coach on the passenger side only. Not a fan of bright lights at night, and the LED strip allows me to see the ground in the patio area about 4 feet away from the coach without blinding me or others. The ones I bought can be dimmed to suit my needs.
Have they held up pretty well with the stone's gravel and wet road's pelting them?
Old 04-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
i go camping to get away from all the lights and enjoy the stars. why people have to bring the city with them is beyond me.
Okay, thank's
Old 04-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I like the ability to have lights when needed, but I'm not big with lighting up the entire campsite. The way you camp also determines what you need. When we were younger, had a smaller rig, and spent most of our time outside with the kids while on trips, we needed more exterior light to play games. Back then the motor home was smaller and really only used for sleeping.....no TV.

Now that we're older, we tend to either visit inside or sit around the fire for awhile and go in. I still like having lighting though. I added LED's under the coach on both sides. They're mounted to the frame and angled down and out toward the sides of the coach. They have both a dimmer and a timer. When turned all the way up, they produce some pretty good lighting. When dimmed to half power, they provide great ambiance and enough light to safely move around, without ruining sitting under the stars, since the light is under you.

My son-in-law took the same LED strip (16' on Amazon for about $20.00) and mounted it under his awning against the trailer. It's dimmable and provides great lighting for safety or game playing with the grandkids.

Don't let the "light police" scare you off on here. Everyone camps differently and has different needs. If you need light outside, install them and turn them on. The only thing we should ALL be doing is making sure we turn them off when we go in.
The one's you mounted to the frame are they holding up well with the element's hitting them when in transit?
Old 04-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
X2 Never liked them and would not install anything out side to dampen the campfire and stars. We enjoy camping.
Okay, thank's
Old 04-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2 years and still going strong. I didn't trust the adhesive strip to mount them. Saw a blog called Outside our Bubble where the owner put a strip of epoxy down, let it set up for awhile and then pushed the strip in to the epoxy. He did it more for the bling around the entire bottom of the coach. I just ran a 16 foot strip for the reasons I stated earlier.

They make a tube you can put the LED strip in to protect it. I bought mine on Amazon for like $25.00 and figured I could replace them every couple years if need be. Just checked their operation today getting the coach ready for my first trip this season and they came right on.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #25

Outside trinket lights? No thank you, we boondock most of the time and to us they made you look like a tinhorn newbie.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
Note to self: never name a thread "opinions on..." if what you really want are product recommendations to meet YOUR NEEDS. Wow!
Old 04-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Last park we were at, a group of us sat at a picnic table playing a dice game, under one of our awnings.

Tough to do without light !!
Old 04-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a simple propane lantern, dimmable, that we use when we want enough light to do things at night - play cards, games, etc. Very tiny, but puts out as much light as we need. I don't have to worry about permanent installation or forgetting to turn them off. We also have a door light that provides quite a bit of light. I admit I don't use hardly any light in the summer, but late fall, winter, and early spring we do since the days are so short. I don't necessarily want to go inside at 5:00 pm because it is completely dark!

UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, lights