Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-04-2016, 11:39 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 14,455
Blog Entries: 1
Opinions on awning lights, ground lights, etc.

I mentioned my aluminum dish light. Folks like to play cards in good light.
75 watts. Snack, libation, or whatever, without glitz lights.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1459831013.718374.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	123180
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1459831082.200652.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	123181
It can be clamped anywhere.
I don't think lighting should be complex or expensive.
Do what you want with lights. I like simple yet effective.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
__________________

__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbradley View Post
I did an adhesive LED strip light just under the awning and hooked it into the switch for the outside light. I did a write up on how it was installed Link
Thank's that was good reading and a help.
__________________

__________________
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa_Claus View Post
Note to self: never name a thread "opinions on..." if what you really want are product recommendations to meet YOUR NEEDS. Wow!
Hey, my grandkid's want to know if your really Santa Claus
__________________
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #46
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 keystone View Post
Need thought's about awning light's, rope, or those little trinket like ball's, what do you like, or is unique, rope light's: is LED better?
What about lighting under the camper (TT) frame or body?
Also on the ground around the camper or the patio area?
Any pro's and con's or preference's on using?
04 keystone
IMO awning light's, rope lights, or those little trinket like ball lights are just one more way to irritate neighboring campers, (which is something I try not to do).
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Raining Star's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 736
My opinion (remember you asked for it) is that fixed exterior lights should be prohibited in national parks, national forests and other wildlife areas. I and others come to such locations for the natural beauty, not to look at my neighbors cheesy Christmas lights ruining the view for miles. Use a lantern in such locations when campfire, moonlight and starlight aren't enough, and turn it off as soon as you're done.

If you are in an independent RV park with parking lot style campsites and overhead lighting, do whatever you want. You certainly can't ruin the view much in most of those places. Some of these multi color displays are actually an improvement to the drab concrete and bare bulb ambiance of many RV parks.
__________________
Joseph and Sandy
Arizona Sunbirds

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
04 keystone
IMO awning light's, rope lights, or those little trinket like ball lights are just one more way to irritate neighboring campers, (which is something I try not to do).
Mel
'96 Safari
Yes I did, no problem, just wish I'd get more opinion's on which is liked better rope lite's or stick, do the one's mounted under or on the frame hold up to the element's, answer's to something other than they are annoying, irritating, dumb, you get what I'm saying too?
__________________
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:41 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
69Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Valdosta, Ga
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 keystone View Post
Yes I did, no problem, just wish I'd get more opinion's on which is liked better rope lite's or stick, do the one's mounted under or on the frame hold up to the element's, answer's to something other than they are annoying, irritating, dumb, you get what I'm saying too?
I installed the LED strips under the awning (on the wall) and ran the power wire through the wall. On my previous TT I installed it on the awning tube, which was good, but every time I rolled the awning up I'd have to disconnect the wiring. I like it better on the awning tube, but ease of use is better on the wall hard wired.


You might just want to wait until the next time you go camping and walk around to see the different types and decide which you like best.
__________________
1998 Southwind Storm 34S
2015 Ford Focus Hatchback SE
Retired Air Force 1981-2006
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:18 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bartlesville Oklahoma
Posts: 1,222
Redneck bling. http://www.earthween.com/ideas/images/worklight1.jpg


Being conservative and a might frugal I use a clip on light when needed. After all it is difficult to play cards out side by flashlight under the awning. I have 60 watt bulb (yellow bug type) I can also use the same light work on the outside of MH when needing more light to see what I am working on. I can plug it into a motion detector so it will come on when stepping outside the MH at night.

Sorry but can not answer your other questions. I try using the KISS system and use the things I already have and put the extra $$ in the gas tank
__________________
1996 Damon DayBreak 454 P37 Chassis
Lifemember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #51
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 keystone View Post
Need thought's about awning light's, rope, or those little trinket like ball's, what do you like, or is unique, rope light's: is LED better?
What about lighting under the camper (TT) frame or body?
Also on the ground around the camper or the patio area?
Any pro's and con's or preference's on using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 keystone View Post
just wish I'd get more opinion's on which is liked better rope lite's or stick, do the one's mounted under or on the frame hold up to the element's, answer's to something other than they are annoying, irritating, dumb, you get what I'm saying too?
04 keystone
I do get what you're saying.
However if you don't want negative thoughts/opinions it's best to state that with your questions.
Mel
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
My opinion (remember you asked for it) is that fixed exterior lights should be prohibited in national parks, national forests and other wildlife areas. I and others come to such locations for the natural beauty, not to look at my neighbors cheesy Christmas lights ruining the view for miles. Use a lantern in such locations when campfire, moonlight and starlight aren't enough, and turn it off as soon as you're done.

If you are in an independent RV park with parking lot style campsites and overhead lighting, do whatever you want. You certainly can't ruin the view much in most of those places. Some of these multi color displays are actually an improvement to the drab concrete and bare bulb ambiance of many RV parks.
We could go a step further and ban any camping with structures or vehicles over 7' high because that would be blocking my view, which is why I am camping. Or, we could ban any camping with tents more than 3' high and get even better views. It is amazing to me how people wish to enforce their view of how to camp on others. Take responsibility and find the camping place that suits your requirements rather than imposing your requirements on others. Sorry for the slight hijack but I am just giving my opinion.
RichH
__________________
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Raining Star's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguablanco View Post
We could go a step further and ban any camping with structures or vehicles over 7' high because that would be blocking my view, which is why I am camping. Or, we could ban any camping with tents more than 3' high and get even better views. It is amazing to me how people wish to enforce their view of how to camp on others. Take responsibility and find the camping place that suits your requirements rather than imposing your requirements on others. Sorry for the slight hijack but I am just giving my opinion.
RichH

You seem to have missed the part where someone asked for opinions, which I offered. I don't believe I initiated any legislation restricting anyone from doing anything.

You gotta wonder why somebody would take exception to people discussing the posted topic in a discussion group. Talk about telling others how to live their life by your own values. Physician heal thyself and all that.
__________________
Joseph and Sandy
Arizona Sunbirds

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #54
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,326
Now, now boys, lets play nice!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:16 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
mojoracing's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: northern IL
Posts: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 keystone View Post
Hey, my grandkid's want to know if your really Santa Claus
The real Santa claus would make everyone feel welcome.
__________________
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:26 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
mojoracing's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: northern IL
Posts: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
My opinion (remember you asked for it) is that fixed exterior lights should be prohibited in national parks, national forests and other wildlife areas. I and others come to such locations for the natural beauty, not to look at my neighbors cheesy Christmas lights ruining the view for miles. Use a lantern in such locations when campfire, moonlight and starlight aren't enough, and turn it off as soon as you're done.

If you are in an independent RV park with parking lot style campsites and overhead lighting, do whatever you want. You certainly can't ruin the view much in most of those places. Some of these multi color displays are actually an improvement to the drab concrete and bare bulb ambiance of many RV parks.
Why would you want to outlaw what someone else wants just because it differs with your idea of camping? I will never understand the thought process of wanting to ban something just because it doesnt align with your thoughts or beliefs which are obviously more important than others. Live and let live.
__________________

__________________
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning, lights



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Source for door latches, drawer guides, etc., etc. Scooter MH-General Discussions & Problems 2 10-28-2014 09:09 PM
PAQ, PST, ETC, ETC? What do the letters mean judy3972 Monaco Owner's Forum 8 12-04-2013 05:08 AM
Texas bigger, better etc etc Clifftall Just Conversation 30 05-22-2012 11:41 PM
Dead batteries, etc., etc. CHIPPYSGT Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 11 02-27-2006 06:17 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.