Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #71

Been thinking about putting a strip of LED lights on the trailer just below the Awning, and also in each door well to illuminate the steps. will wire them into the outside lights so only on when needed. I too like seeing the night sky, and would only use them when necessary. I need to find some 3M double sided water-proof tape to install them. any recommendations on where to purchase and the type/model number of the tape?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxgunscott View Post
Been thinking about putting a strip of LED lights on the trailer just below the Awning, and also in each door well to illuminate the steps. will wire them into the outside lights so only on when needed. I too like seeing the night sky, and would only use them when necessary. I need to find some 3M double sided water-proof tape to install them. any recommendations on where to purchase and the type/model number of the tape?
You can get it at any auto parts store. It's use for the trim on autos
Old 04-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #73

What you can do

Everyone seems so negative. If you are against them, tune out now. Geeze.

I installed them under my awning so I could have a little more light for those dinners or board gaming nights outside. And they can be dimmed or turned off. They are inexpensive, simple to install and even have a remote control.

Here is what I used and did:

What I purchased:
Controller ($2.52) - Robot Check
Warm white lights ($7.05) - Robot Check
- or - Brighter whiter lights ($9.99) http://smile.amazon.com/Triangle-Bul...7FBDTRYPAY562J

I connected it to the 12V power in the light under the canopy. The lights are waterproof and have a peel and stick back so I put them up under the edge of the canopy. The remote has a 10 level dimmer and yes, "effects" If you are so inclined. We just use them on a medium setting to add some light under the canopy when necessary.
mstdenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #74

Amazon has the LED strip lights and they have peel and stick backing on them.
mstdenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #75

Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Others will disagree with me but I am not a fan of exterior accent lights. When I'm camping I prefer looking at the stars or a campfire.
You sound like my nephew. His girlfriend has every wall covered with pictures and stuff. He said to me what is wrong with just a plain wall. Safe travels to you.
Culpkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #76

We have a strip lighting built into awning. Plus the light outside the door. That's plenty. We bought the colored balls and hooks for our last RV and my husband never put them up, not once! Still in the boxes.
PattyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:04 PM   #77

I normally don't like having the outside light. I also frequently boondock for weeks at a time, so don't need the extra battery drain. That said, we often camp with friends and all eat dinner outdoors after dark. Awning lights are very nice for that. Also, in some areas the varmints are fierce and can tend to get up under the engine compartment and chew up the wiring. One of the best remedies I have seen is LED lights under the coach around the front end which discourages the little buggers. I am also planning on adding LED strips on my steps to replace the anemic step light that is standard with power steps. The LEDs cut my power consumption and provide better lighting for coming in late at night. Everyone has their own needs and preferences.
thartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #78

I had similar concerns. After noticing how dark certain rest areas, parking lots, and truck stops can be, I added additional led lighting underneath our rig I bought a kit designed to light the bed of a pick up, having eight small led clusters and a timer relay. I tied into the weak factory light on the retractable step and fed thru the timer. Now, every time the entry door is opened, from the front licence plate around to half way down the side, including the steps, is well lit. Ever park, open the door and step into a puddle or Chuck hole? A twisted ankle or soggy shoe does not a happy trip make. I also wired two 12" led fog lights under the front corners, facing diagonally to the sides. They are wired individually into the directionals. Why? I don't know about you, but when I an turning at night, the area outside of the beams of my headlights is very dark, and I like to know what is there so that I can manuver properly. Also serves as good notice to those around or next to me of my intent to change lanes. People don't seem to be so courteous these days on the road, so extra help or warning is always welcomed.
As far as awning lighting, I bought a 34" led flashlight from harbour freight. It has two settings, barely visible and weak. Rather than throw it away, we hang it by its books from the awning when we eat or are playing games to provide the needed light. God didn't grace me with night vision so unfortunately additional lighting is required. Yes, an LED strip is in my future under the awning, just not sure if it will be against the rig or mounted to the awning itself. Never mind the haters. You aren't doing this to please them. You are doing this for safety and to make your family happy. Enjoy!!
Kevin
Freightrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightrain View Post
. Yes, an LED strip is in my future under the awning, just not sure if it will be against the rig or mounted to the awning itself.

Kevin

I found lights against the rig works better. When you are sitting outside the light is behind you, lighting your book or whatever you're doing. When we had lights on the awning itself I often found the light was in my eyes and making it hard to see passed the awning.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oh, look at me!

We like peace and dark. enough with all the light. Please.

Its kinda like music everywhere... no need. Gods creation is sight and sounds.

Sticks4748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:10 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our darkness does not infringe on your space please don't infringe on ours.
Sticks4748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #82

Good points all. Individual situation is key in my mind. We're full-timers. Our rig is 72' long (43' diesel pusher towing a 29' enclosed car (and motorcycle) hauler. This rig draws its own critics. Tough - my rig for my LIFEstyle (we ain't "camping").
Sometimes we need to squeeze into a site where we hang out a bit at one or both ends. I drape rope lights over my front mirrors and trailer tail during hours of comings and goings. Not too bright but obvious and only on when necessary.
Nice thing about being mobile - if you don't like your neighbor, for ANY reason, move. I have yet to move for that reason. If you're really hard over on ANY issue, my view is you should probably consider your own acreage with no neighbors. IMHO.
Keep smiling, kids - lights or no lights!
gjurrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:54 AM   #83

Holy smokes! Some of you act like we're decorating our RV's like the Griswold did his house at Christmas. It's just an LED strip that has adjustable brightness. If I need to see something outside my RV or spend time outside and need to see, I will use my lights. It's not like I'm using flood lights.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Holy smokes! Some of you act like we're decorating our RV's like the Griswold did his house at Christmas. It's just an LED strip that has adjustable brightness. If I need to see something outside my RV or spend time outside and need to see, I will use my lights. It's not like I'm using flood lights.

I agree, we use whatever lights we need when we need light, but we never leave any lights on when we are inside or away, other than the entry door for visitors and our return.

I prefer some lights under the awning along the body. We have a simple light string for under the awning and half dozen electric "old style lanterns) which we place where ever they are needed. We find that festive and attractive enough, and pretty much free of the Christmas display style that we don't want.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, lights