Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2016, 07:25 AM   #85

We have all had someone pull in beside us that made it appear the circus had come to town. Personally I think the golden rule is all you need to go by. An unsubtle person will always be unsubtle, of course. That said, the question is about lights.

My Cruiser Air 5th wheel came with white led strip under the awning which is a nice touch and is actually less annoying to other campsites than a super bright Coleman lantern (or two) IMO. Putting a strip high on the unit itself would not be any more intrusive with the awning out. No one outside your campsite will have to look directly into your lights.

For fun I added a strip of multi color leds under the passenger side with an an rf remote. It will do individual colors, fade from one color to another (which is quite subtle) or flash from one to another (which would likely bring on epileptic seizures-I doubt it will ever be used).

You can buy the whole kit with multi color or white leds or buy separate components from Amazon or Ebay, etc.. Check around because prices vary. For very little more money than the bare led strip, you can get a strip embedded in clear plastic that is not only waterproof but really tough. You could probably damage it with a hammer but I can't imagine road debris harming it. You just need to solder connections,seal the ends and fasten it securely.

Its a really fun project. I like them so well, I'm installing white ones in my house in dark closets and the basement. The cost is very reasonable too, especially if you buy direct from China on Ebay! Oh, and be subtle and thoughtful with them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #86

Big, Bright, Blinking different colors and strobes complete the package. I will supply sun glasses to my neighbors, if they ask. I tell my friends not to worry about what site I'm on, just look for the glow in the sky.

Yes I have outside LED lights. One strip under the coach and one strip on the awning rail. I generally keep them turned down. Just bright enough so you can see where you are putting your feet. with a brown color awning, it also absorbs some of the light.

I did have them fired up one evening to maximum effect. Of course, it was Christmas in July at the camp ground we were in, and everybody had them fired up.

People need to stop being so judgmental!! Next they will be saying anything but what they camp in is the wrong choice, and you should only do it this way, and your camp should be set up like this.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:59 AM   #87

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
I agree, we use whatever lights we need when we need light, but we never leave any lights on when we are inside or away, other than the entry door for visitors and our return.

I prefer some lights under the awning along the body. We have a simple light string for under the awning and half dozen electric "old style lanterns) which we place where ever they are needed. We find that festive and attractive enough, and pretty much free of the Christmas display style that we don't want.
I agree also, lights along the body under the awning makes it easier to see out and the awning shields some of the light from other camp sites.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #88

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When camping I run a red rope light along the passenger side on the ground, and across the front of our coach, hanging under the windshield from each mirror.
It is lit as long as our site has electricity.
Tacky you say? Too bright you say?
Apparently you have never had the 'fun' of spending 45 minutes looking for your rv after dark with no park lighting in a park with rows and rows of campers. I have and let me assure you, it was not fun, especially when the DW has to go pee-RIGHT NOW!
So, rope lights for us, red color because it does not affect you night vision, draped over the front so we can find our RV.
Sorry if it offends you. I'm sure if I look hard enough I can find something you do that offends me. Can't we all just get along?
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #89

When we used to camp for a month in the Smokie Mountains, we were able to leave our awning down all the time. I had custom lights built from Walmart flower pots and they were beautiful. Now I haven't used them in years because we retract the awning every night (electric). It would be a pain to use them so our outside light suffices. Every now and then some yahoo parks near us and uses bright lights that stay on all night. Not conducive to camping.
bionicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #90

Courtesy

We run solar lights around the doorway and steps which can be seen but are not bright enough to shine directly into another campsite. If we want to light our table we use lanterns. We've camped near others who run their Rv floodlights from dusk to dawn, also in a park where a large party camped together and ran floodlights on tripods facing all directions all night and my feeling is that if you feel you need a lot of lights for security or to party after dark, you should probably be in a resort that is lighted so running your lights doesn't bother other people. If you worry about security of bikes, chairs, etc., lock them up, but lights that shine brightly enough to be in people's faces or illuminate other campsites should go out during quiet hours. It's courtesy! Use flashlights!
tleemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #91

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks4748 View Post
We like peace and dark. enough with all the light. Please.

Its kinda like music everywhere... no need. Gods creation is sight and sounds.

Could not said it any better
We have went out a fire..........just to see the star's better
Old 04-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #92
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks let's knock off the personal and snarky comments and stay on topic.

Just a friendly reminder that our rules apply to all areas of our site and that includes online posts and PMs.

Thanks!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightrain View Post
I had similar concerns. After noticing how dark certain rest areas, parking lots, and truck stops can be, I added additional led lighting underneath our rig I bought a kit designed to light the bed of a pick up, having eight small led clusters and a timer relay. I tied into the weak factory light on the retractable step and fed thru the timer. Now, every time the entry door is opened, from the front licence plate around to half way down the side, including the steps, is well lit. Ever park, open the door and step into a puddle or Chuck hole? A twisted ankle or soggy shoe does not a happy trip make. I also wired two 12" led fog lights under the front corners, facing diagonally to the sides. They are wired individually into the directionals. Why? I don't know about you, but when I an turning at night, the area outside of the beams of my headlights is very dark, and I like to know what is there so that I can manuver properly. Also serves as good notice to those around or next to me of my intent to change lanes. People don't seem to be so courteous these days on the road, so extra help or warning is always welcomed.
As far as awning lighting, I bought a 34" led flashlight from harbour freight. It has two settings, barely visible and weak. Rather than throw it away, we hang it by its books from the awning when we eat or are playing games to provide the needed light. God didn't grace me with night vision so unfortunately additional lighting is required. Yes, an LED strip is in my future under the awning, just not sure if it will be against the rig or mounted to the awning itself. Never mind the haters. You aren't doing this to please them. You are doing this for safety and to make your family happy. Enjoy!!
Kevin
Well said, Kevin! Just like I bought a motorcycle for myself, not for what others think I should have. Always nay sayers out there. God bless, stay safe, be thoughtful, do the next right thing. Hard to go wrong.
gjurrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #94
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Folks let's knock off the personal and snarky comments and stay on topic.

Just a friendly reminder that our rules apply to all areas of our site and that includes online posts and PMs.

Thanks!

Thanks Dirk! I'm surprised at all the rude remarks made in this thread! Not at all representative of the image we're trying to promote on IRV2!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #95

I am not afraid of light. I have some. I am also not afraid of being courteous. I try to do that too.

I find it interesting how so many have posted how I should camp this way, or I should only do this or that.

I have lights, I expressed that above and earlier, and I sometimes use them, and sometimes not. I have found that what suits my needs and mood one day may not fit the next day, and that is just me deciding for me. I cannot imagine how people who do not know me, know anything about me, know anything about my life, can be so sure what I should or should not do.

1. Be respectful of others

2. Have fun

3. Relax. Live and let live. If your neighbor has a problem, help him out. If he has a lifestyle different than yours, learn about it. You might learn something. If you cannot, or choose not to, that is okay too. Just do not expect everyone else to treat you with respect if you cannot respect another to make choices that are right for them...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #96

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I may take a stab at a readers digest version of this thread.

1. I like them.
2. I can't stand them.

Anything I missed?😀
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #97

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
If I may take a stab at a readers digest version of this thread.

1. I like them.
2. I can't stand them.

Anything I missed?😀

Yes,
3 I like them used in some places but not others.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Others will disagree with me but I am not a fan of exterior accent lights. When I'm camping I prefer looking at the stars or a campfire.

2x.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, lights