Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2011, 02:57 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I put on a red top in my holiday rambler couple of months ago. So far very happy with it. The starting battery that was in the RV would start it but if you turned motor off to get gas and had to restart the motor I had problems. Now starts everytime. Very happy I think I paid 200 out the door for it
My 2 cents...steve

srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Could it help a battery with a shorted cell and how much Epson Salt do I use?
Won't help with a shorted cell.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #31

I'll keep if for a core if I ever need a new one. I'm never it real cold country and find that my Dodge CTD starts just fine with one battery.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by srzak View Post
I put on a red top in my holiday rambler couple of months ago. So far very happy with it. The starting battery that was in the RV would start it but if you turned motor off to get gas and had to restart the motor I had problems. Now starts everytime. Very happy I think I paid 200 out the door for it
My 2 cents...steve

Interesting, likely true, and also meaningless.

Yes, it has the cranking amps to start you engine

This does not mean it has the amp hours to run your furnace all night. Though NORMALLY the two are indeed related. Optimas seem to have a higher cranking amps to capacity rating than other types. Likely due to the plate design.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #33

Original owner had put two yellow top optimas in as house batteries 2x 12v in parallel and red top chassis battery. Haven't used motor home off shore power in our ownership so can't attest to their worthiness as reliable house cells. Although will agree let the red top cranker go dead and you have an expensive paper weight!!

Luckily was under the 3 year warranty so all good, just got an ultra trick L start to keep it maintained, will see how well it stays charged and alive.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #34

BatteryMinder claims that if it doesn't read below a certain voltage, their device may be able to resurrect it. The bad one I have reads 10.5 volts and I don't think there is any hope for it. I've banged on it and slammed it into the driveway and that bad cell still won't take a charge. Anybody want/need a 10.5V battery?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #35

Several previous posts have said what I am going to say, but I havenít seen any that indicate they are as happy with Optima batteries as I am nor any that indicate the poster owns as many Optima batteries as I do. I own eight Optima batteries. All of them are deep cycle, yellow top or blue top.

None of my Optima batteries are recent purchases. The newest ones (blue tops) were bought in November 2001. The oldest (yellow tops) are from 1997. All of them are still in service. I have no experience with new Optima batteries, so itís possible that the quality has declined and the newer ones donít hold up the way mine have.

IF you are buying the deep cycle batteries (with a LIGHT GRAY case) the only difference between the yellow top and blue top batteries is the terminal configuration. Both have standard automotive post terminals. The blue tops have threaded studs and no side terminals, while the yellow tops have side terminals and no threaded studs. My blue tops came with stainless steel nuts and washers for those terminals.

Optima batteries with a DARK GRAY case are NOT deep cycle batteries. Some blue tops are not deep cycle and have a dark gray case. I think the model numbers that start with "D" are deep cycle, but I donít know that for a fact.

Hereís a link to a good video on the subject. This information is from Optima.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/techtips.php

I always try to avoid discharging my batteries more than necessary, and when I do I charge them as soon as I can. I have, however, had a couple of occasions when I ran a pair of them down to about 10% charge or less. They would no longer light the gas furnace on my RV. When I got home, I charged those batteries with a charger, and they are still working.

I donít really know whether it makes a difference or not, but I use the desulphation mode on my charger periodically on all my batteries. Iím sure that my use of a real, three stage battery charger does help battery life. I donít depend on my RVís converter/charger to keep my batteries in good shape.

So far, I have gotten ten years and more from each of my Optima batteries, although the earliest ones are now starting to show their age. I will probably have to replace them in a year or so.

There are lots of folks here who dislike Optima batteries, and they probably have the experiences to back up that opinion. My experience is that they are excellent, long lasting batteries when treated well.

Ė Loren
Old 11-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #36

From what I understand, a sealed gel cell is still a lead-acid battery and thus qualifies for the use of a de-sulfating/charger/minder. Since I bought a BatteryMinderģ 2-4-8 Amp charger/maintainer, I have a spare 1 Amp BM that I now hook to my sandrail with an Optima 12V.

Loren, what brand of 3 stage charger do you use.