Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

What happens when it runs out after 3 hours? Does the heater just shut itself off?
Yes.
BTW, if it is set on"low" it will heat for about 6 hrs on a 1# bottle.
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #16

We have been using the Big Buddy with a pancake bottle and hose for over 4 years. I use it in the mornings (6a or so) to heat the 5er up and use the main heater during the night set to 60. I've use the 20# bottle a lot also. Our Challenger is not tight enough to require an open window but I do open one about 1/2 in. This is in southern AZ so we do not normally need it during the day unless it gets really cold.

Can't wait to get the 5er fixed (had an accident) and head south.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #17

Apparently there is a way to refill those 1 pound cylinders fuller by removing the vent plug. I have never done this and I'm not recommending it. It is just something I've come across.

How to refill disposable propane cylinders
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
Is the 20# bottle the 5 gal one. I have 2 of those. I guess I should get the hose and filter.
I was thinking about tapping into the stove with a valve and a T fitting for the hose. Then I would not need the filter, as the pressure is regulated to the stove.
I could just hook into the fitting whenever I want to use the Mr Heater.
mr300ce
Yes, the 20# bottle is the 5 gal one.

A "so called 5 gal." propane tank holds 20#, (4.76 gal.), of propane.
If you have your empty 20# tank refilled you will actually get 20# of propane.
However, the 20# "exchange tanks", you see at Walmart, Home Depot, etc.,..... come with only 15# of propane!
(If you don't believe that read the label).
Unfortunately, that means you can only get 40-45 hrs. of heat from a Buddy Heater set to high, (not the 60 hrs you will get from 20#).

Also, a Buddy Heater has a built in regulator and only works on unregulated, (full tank), pressure, (unless it is modified..a no-no IMO).

The recommended filter is only a filter, (it does not regulate the pressure of the LP).
A filter is necessary if you use a tank/bottle and a hose, (not with the 1# bottles).

BTW, if you don't use the recommended filter the heater will get gummed up to the point it will not work....(don't ask me how I know).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
Apparently there is a way to refill those 1 pound cylinders fuller by removing the vent plug. I have never done this and I'm not recommending it. It is just something I've come across.

How to refill disposable propane cylinders
If you use needle-nose pliers to pull up the pin of the relief valve in the 1# bottle to relieve the pressure, (and if the 1# bottle is upright), you will get the bottle full, (if you don't it will not take a full lb. of propane).
When the pin is released, (let go), it will reseal.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #20

I just bought one of those heaters 4000 to 7000 btu for $69 on sale sat at fleet farm to use in my fish house and deer stand nice heaters gives off alot of heat and very quiet
Fkrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Heater came today. Only took 2 days from Amazon. I hooked a 1 lb bottle up, and it worked really great. When the bottle fill adaptor comes, I will try to fill an empty one and see how it goes. If it works OK, I will use them (I already have several). If it more trouble than I like, then I will get the hose and filter, and use the 20 lb (I have 2 of those and a buddy hose setup already).
Old 01-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

What happens when it runs out after 3 hours? Does the heater just shut itself off?
Runs out of gas, you get cold and wake up.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Runs out of gas, you get cold and wake up.
......and the bottles are ice cold too.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #24

Dickinson P-12000 boat heater installed in motorhome

This heater is vented, so you don't have to worry about oxygen depletion, carbon monoxide or condensation inside the coach. It uses less than 2/10 of an amp 12v, so it is good for long-term use when boondocking. I don't think I could sleep very well with an unvented heater running all night. I would be worried about being killed. With the Dickinson you can let it run full blast and sleep soundly. It is expensive, almost $800, but as a boondocker I am willing to pay the price to get what works best.

Input is 12000 BTU, Output is claimed to be over 9000 BTU. We have a 34' motorhome. I installed curtains right behind the drivers seat that close off the drivers area and prevents a good amout of heat loss through the front windows. I have double pane windows, but have not insulted yet with reflectix. I am in the process of that now.

The heater keeps the coach 20 - 25 deg above outside temperature. I think insulating the windows and shower skylight will probably give me another 5 deg or so.

I installed it on a plywood backboard with side shields to protect the curtain. I positioned it right behind the drivers seat, raised up a little bit to clear the arm of the sofa when the slide is retracted.

It is connected to the low pressure line at the coaches propane tank. I ran a hose from there underneath the coach and it enters the coach right underneath the heater.

I like it. I recommend it for serious boondockers.

John
JohnJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater