Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #1

Oregon Coast ???

DH and I have decided to go the Oregon Coast for holidays leaving on the afternoon of Aug 13Th.
It is last minute as we weren't sure if we should "chance" it with our next to new 5er.
I have a zillion questions so please be patient with me :-)

We are leaving from Edmonton Alberta Canada and really not sure of the best route. Tossing things around but haven't ever being there we really are going in "circles"

We have no idea of any do and don'ts, must see's and stay away froms.

Worried about the highways as we hear all winter about the slides on the coast..scary stuff..

We would really love some advice on this and campsites. Would love to stay at some really scenic sites but we are 35' with 3 slides and no reservations. We thought maybe we shouldn't go because we may not get a campsite then what would we do ??.....yikes !
Anyone been over the Sandpoint Bridge lately ???

Randy and I love nature. We have very short season here so need to use our time wisely :-)

I am looking forward to any assistance as well as hints and tips you all may have to offer.

Thanking you in advance.
Jo
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Jo
You have chosen the best time of the year to travel Wash. and Ore. The rain is pretty much over with, everything is green, I noticed today the rivers are back in thier banks, and life is good.
There are over 400+ camping parks both private and public, The State parks tend to load up pretty quickly on the weekends, if you travel on Fridays you will see guys in suits tearing off thier ties as they go down the highway.
My wife and I tend to travel during the week Tuesday thru Thursday, because everyone that works are at work and not in front of me.
In as much as what roads; it's a crap shoot. Highway 1 (The Coast Highway) is very narrow and right on the edge of the cliffs in a lot of places, I have a 34 foot Class A and will not travel highway 1. Highway 101 is great because it paralles the coast slightly inland, and in palces you can see the ocean, but it tends to wander.
Interstate 5 is full of potholes in California, and in a number of places goes directly through the downtown areas, which are to be avoided during rush hour.
Honestly I could go on for pages but thats the general idea, most of the city's have chamber of commerce web pages that can lead you to places you will never forget.
Enjoy your trip and if you find yourself going through Portland/Vancouver, give us an e-mail the day before and we will buy you a meal. (simigrandpa@gmail.com)
Larry and Rita
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #3

OK, so here we go. YMMV.
I would get to Vancouver, BC and then come into the US headed for Anacortes, WA, Port Townsend, Port Angeles, around the Olympic loop to Sol Duc Hot Springs, the Ho Rain Forest and continuing S. on 101 to Astoria, OR. Not sure of your final destination but you can pretty much follow 101 S. as far as you would like and you will just keep saying "oh, we need to stay here" over and over again. If you make it to Brookings, OR you have come to Nirvana for crab lovers!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I highly recommend Winchester Bay RV Resort at Salmon Harbor Marina in Winchester Bay, Oregon . Beautiful location, right on the water.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Edmonton Alberta to Oregon coast

I've traveled to Edmonton Alberta from the Oregon coast several times. I believe the most direct and scenic route is to cross the border from Kingsgate B.C. to Eastport ID (no lines) then proceed on US 95 to Coeur d' Alene ID. Then I90 and I84 to Portland OR and HWY18 to Lincoln City on the Oregon coast.

The earlier post about avoiding HWY1 is confusing Northern California with Oregon. The coast HWY in Oregon is 101. The Southern 200 miles or so of 101 had been recently repaved when I traveled in the spring and was very smooth compared to 101 in California.

Have a great trip.
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We just did that trip in May and entered Wa at Peace Portal because of a business meeting in Van BC. If you can avoid Peace Portal by all means do so. We followed 101 south around the Olympia Peninsula. We didn't get all the way down the Oregon coast because of previous appointments back in BC so it was kind of a scouting trip for us and we will definately do this trip again at a time when we can enjoy the great scenery more. We had no trouble with campsites as far as finding some but from what we heard it can be a lot busier in the summer months. We are a 38' Class A DP and hauling a 23' toy trailer and had no issues with 101 at all. It is narrow and winding but they give you lots of pull outs to allow people to pass you. It is against the law to have more than 5 vehicles behind you so they want you to use the pullouts to stop and allow everyone to pass.
Enjoy your trip!!!!

CHEERS
Old 08-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #7

All of the Oregon Coast is pretty cool. We like Harris Beach a lot. If you get up to Washington, Port Townsend, on the Olympic peninsula is great. We stayed at Fort Worden State Park. Some of their campsites are right by the water.

Enjoy your trip.

Hack
--//--
ehhackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #8

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

As your plans get clear try to make reservations at some of the State parks in Oregon. Start in Astoria at Ft Stevens State Park which is near the Columbia River and on the Ocean. Then work your way down to Brookings and Harris Beach State Park. There are wonderful State Parks and private RV parks in between. 35" with 3 slides should not be a problem. Hwy 101 is mostly 2 lane, but I have no problem with 43' and a toad. Have fun and keep us updated.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
The best kind of trip. Start in a direction and pick your stays enroute. No battling of reservation dates and no rushing through an interesting area.

You may not have all the upscale features of the perfect campsite, but you will have fun and be more relaxed.

Oregon is worth several trips....
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #10

Oregon Coast 101 can handle you well. The highway 1 referred above, is not in Oregon, that is a Ca project and you didn't mention going there. Good advice for c.g and there are plenty of them. Do use the pullouts if the traffic behind gets more than 5 cars behind you. They do get impatient and try to pass in horrible places idiots use. It is very popular routing this time of year. Over 300 miles of coast of Oregon on this road. Very serviceable roadway.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:39 AM   #11

Make sure you stop at an information center and pickup the
Oregon Coast Travel Guide. It is free and gives a mile by mile guide of
the coast. Ask for it if you can't find it, it is must have if your
doing the entire coast. It is in the line of the Alaskan Milepost. It
does a great job of highlighting the must sees.

Bob
Old 08-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #12

Be sure see the sea lion caves. Very interesting.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Made the Oregon coast trip quite a few times, never made reservations, may not have stopped at the exact campsite we planned on, but there are always more, just a few miles done the road.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Tillamook Cheese Factory, Tillamook, Oregon.
Large parking lots for RV's, free tour and samples and some killer ice cream!
I second Salmon Harbor in Winchester Bay....we stay there each visit to the coast and branch out from there.
BarkAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote