Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Note, you don't need to be military or ex-military for penfed... Just FYI.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #16

Just recently renewed my Costco membership, and found that their Amex CC gives me a 3% discount (rebate) on all gas purchases (that's 12 cents on $4 diesel), applied to balance, and no limit. I took it. Also has rebates on other purchases.

GL Arnold
Old 06-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #17

Citgo ? isn't that the country that hates America?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use GAS BUDDY app. and it saves me at least 20 cents a gallon an addition to the 5% the Discover card can give you on fuel.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Note, you don't need to be military or ex-military for penfed... Just FYI.
I just recently learned this. I gatta dig out my 'hardly used' MasterCard to make their $5 minimum deposit as they don't accept my 'cash back' Discover card.
GWinger
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I use GAS BUDDY app. and it saves me at least 20 cents a gallon an addition to the 5% the Discover card can give you on fuel.
The GAS BUDDY app is very useful as is the Discover cards 5% cash back,... which will end soon though.
The Fed Pen CU card gives 5% cash back 'all the time' for those pay at the pump purchases.
GWinger
Old 06-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWinger View Post
The GAS BUDDY app is very useful as is the Discover cards 5% cash back,... which will end soon though.
The Fed Pen CU card gives 5% cash back 'all the time' for those pay at the pump purchases.
GWinger
Your right about the Discover Card.. They use the 5% as a promotional tool periodicly. I really need to get the Fed Pen card. Thanks for getting me off the dime.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Your right about the Discover Card.. They use the 5% as a promotional tool periodicly. I really need to get the Fed Pen card. Thanks for getting me off the dime.
Chuck,
I finally got 'off the dime' and applied for a Fed Pen card. Fount their website a bit confusing. I 'think' I applied for the right card. They have different ones available. Some only give you 'points', apparently for flight miles and some give the % cash-back on fuel purchased 'at-the-pump'.
If I get the wrong one, I'll have to give them a call,... maybe should have done that anyway. We'll see.
GWinger
Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
The card referenced changed recently. I took the "points" card, which is 5 "points" for fuel purchases. I chose this one as the non-fuel points are better than the cash card and the points are worth around .01 (one cent) each. They can be redeemed for gift cards and gift cards sold, if you want to go that way.

Platinum rewards
  • Earn 5 points per dollar spent on gas purchases*
  • Earn 3 points per dollar spent on supermarket purchases*
  • Earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases*
Versus:
PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards

• 5% cash back on gas purchases**
  • 0.25% cash back on other purchases**

Note, Penfed has a reputation for having a pretty high bar in terms of required credit rating, just fyi...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 AM   #24

In my case the 'credit rating' is not a problem. Not that I'm loaded with money, just paid my bills on time all our lives. A good credit rating seems to come with 'paying your bills' rather than having lots of money.

As far as the Pen Fed cards, I think I'd rather have the % back on a monthly basic instead of building up "points". Rules can change (and often do) and for what ever reason, points can be 'lost'. If you receive a 'credit', it's like money in the bank.
What I don't know is, do the discounts earned for that months purchases show up as a credit on that months statement or the next months? Could a card holder that knows pipe in?
Thanks GWinger
Old 06-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWinger View Post
In my case the 'credit rating' is not a problem. Not that I'm loaded with money, just paid my bills on time all our lives. A good credit rating seems to come with 'paying your bills' rather than having lots of money.

As far as the Pen Fed cards, I think I'd rather have the % back on a monthly basic instead of building up "points". Rules can change (and often do) and for what ever reason, points can be 'lost'. If you receive a 'credit', it's like money in the bank.
What I don't know is, do the discounts earned for that months purchases show up as a credit on that months statement or the next months? Could a card holder that knows pipe in?
Thanks GWinger

GWinger

The 5% discount from Pen Fed shows up on the billing for the present month. I believe the billing closes, and statements sent, on the 10th of the month. I have been using the card for a little over a year.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting topic - thanks !

While I too used the good sam promo of "up to 12 cents per galon" savings to get the pilot/flying j card and love the convenience of air/diesel/and def pumps right there... don't like a few things about it:
1) NO receipt at the pump, so you are not sure WHAT they will charge you per gallon when iot's all said and done.
2) I've found that (at least locally) the flying j's were up to 15 cents MORE per gallon for diesel than other stations....

so I'm open to suggestion....
Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
GWinger

The 5% discount from Pen Fed shows up on the billing for the present month. I believe the billing closes, and statements sent, on the 10th of the month. I have been using the card for a little over a year.
dieselclacker,
Thanks for your input, that's what I was looking for. When buying diesel fuel on cross country trips that's gatta add up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Interesting topic - thanks !

While I too used the good sam promo of "up to 12 cents per galon" savings to get the pilot/flying j card and love the convenience of air/diesel/and def pumps right there... don't like a few things about it:
1) NO receipt at the pump, so you are not sure WHAT they will charge you per gallon when iot's all said and done.
2) I've found that (at least locally) the flying j's were up to 15 cents MORE per gallon for diesel than other stations....

so I'm open to suggestion....
JohnBoyToo,
My suggestion would be to get a Pen Fed card. For 'me', FJ/P has just been a PAIN. More often than NOT, the discounts (for what ever reason) just weren't there. They always had some excuse or other. (not coperate, different FJ or whatever) It's just too difficult to keep in mind, or even to check some kinda list, to even try to make FJ/P worth going to.
Not to mention their prices are usually higher than their competition. There are those on this site that can work it to their advantage and tell others to "go to post #1 to complain directly to FJ...".
For ME, it's just NOT worth it. Easier to go where your business is appreciated.
GWinger
Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
GWinger,

I agree completely. PenFed and GasBuddy or MSNgas.

Some say that FJ-Pilot have more space for manuevering, have DEF or propane which may be worth it to them.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel