Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ouch I got mail

Ok all you want to be full timers who travel three or four months at a time.
What do you do about mail if you have no one to pick it up. Post office will
only hold for 30 days.
Still learning
Caldwell

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldwell View Post
Ok all you want to be full timers who travel three or four months at a time.
What do you do about mail if you have no one to pick it up. Post office will
only hold for 30 days.
Still learning
Caldwell
We travel 1/2 year continuous every year and tried a couple of different methods until we found one that works for us. One thing we learned was to involve the USPS as little as possible, unless you do not care if things get messed up.

The first thing to do is convert the important stuff like bills, bank statements, etc. to digital so that mail is not sent to you. There is however, for us, a certain amount of important stuff that must be sent by mail. We rent a box at a UPS store and have the mail temporarily forwarded by USPS to the UPS box address. When we want our mail we email or call the UPS store and they send it to us where and when we want it - most of the time to the campground we are staying at.

I am never comfortable depending on neighbors/relatives to do this for us. I am a bit touchy about privacy. One year we had a neighbor picking up our mail. She had an emergency family situation and had to leave suddenly, leaving our mail in a lurch.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
KIX

We do it the same a jzick except that we use the FMCA mail forwarding service. They also forward when and where you request it. You have to be a member of FMCA to use the service.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #4

We get all bills online except doctors. Our address is at a family members house. All mail is screened, most tossed. If a Dr bill, the account and amount is texted to me, and the bill is paid via Bill Pay at credit union.
The very rare need for actual mail is via Fedex etc to our RV resorts.
Simple. Effective

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I would like to do mine same as Jzick and Kix are doing. However, my local post office says they will only forward the mail to a PO box for 30 days also. Any advice?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
my local post office says they will only forward the mail to a PO box for 30 days also.
Some part of this equation is missing. From the official USPS web site regarding mail forwarding "You can use the service temporarily for 15 days up to 1 year*". If you are talking about other than first class, then there is a limit on how long it is forwarded - kind of nice really, because you only get junk for a short time when mail is forwarded.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We have USPS forward to our daughter's house, which they will do "temporarily" for up to 6 months (first class) and (30 days (other classes). That works fine, since nearly all our important "mail" comes electronically. Mostly we get just medical bills at our home address.

You can also use a mail-forwarding service for a very modest fee. FMCA or Escapees clubs, or the UPS Store, to name just a few.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #8

We moved our mailing address to a local UPS store. They will hold all your mail for a year. When we're we just stop at the store once a week to pick up our mail. The people know and call my wife by name (me not so much,lol), very friendly.

We just call them up and have them send us all or some (they'll even go through it with you on the phone) to the RV park or shop we're at.

We're on the road 6-9 months at a time. It is cheap solution to annoying problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
We have USPS forward to our daughter's house, which they will do "temporarily" for up to 6 months (first class) and (30 days (other classes).
Yep, and you can start/stop/change it online at USPS.com. The online option will charge you a nuisance fee of $1 by CC that supposedly assures them you are you. We forward to son's house over the holidays. I set the forward order to expire 10 days before we plan to be home, then go online a month before we plan to return and set a hold order for the 10 day gap.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
This is an extract from the USPS webpage.

Taking a long vacation? Or an out-of-town assignment? Make sure you don’t miss any bills or other important mail. For a weekly fee, we’ll hold your mail, package it up, and reship it to you each week by Priority MailŪ.
Here's how Premium Forwarding Service (PFSŪ) works...
  • Pay $15.00 to enroll in the service and $15.25 for each week you have your mail reshipped.
  • Most mail is bundled and sent to you every Wednesday via Priority Mail, our 2- to 3-day service. Any Express MailŪ is automatically rerouted directly to you.
  • Priority Mail items are reshipped right away or included in your weekly shipment as long as their delivery wouldn't be delayed.
  • First-Class MailŪ mailpieces that don't fit in the weekly shipment are rerouted separately at no extra cost.
  • PFS is a temporary service that can be used from 15 days up to 1 year.
Some packages will arrive at the temporary address with postage due...
  • Standard MailŪ pieces are included in a weekly shipment if they fit. Otherwise, they’re shipped postage due at the 1 lb. Parcel PostŪ price.
  • Parcel Post, Bound Printed Matter, Media MailŪ, and Library Mail pieces aren’t included in Premium Forwarding Service shipments. They are shipped postage due with the service originally used to send them.
To sign up, go to PFS Online™ or stop by your local Post Office with two forms of ID and evidence of residence at the primary address.
If you sign up online, you pay for the service with a credit card. The $15.00 enrollment fee must be paid when you sign up, but weekly installment fees of $15.25 are processed as recurring payments. Your first recurring payment is processed on the start date and, thereafter, recurring payments are processed each Wednesday until your requested end date. The PFS Online option is not currently available for PO Box addresses. Please note that you may only make changes to a PFS Online order if your initial request was submitted online.

Now, $15 a week is $260 a year, or $65 a month. I think this is too high, when other forwarding services are much less.

So, I again restate my question. I restate my question. I would like to do mine the same as Jzick and Kix are doing. However, my local post office says they will only forward the mail to a PO box for 30 days also. Any advice?

Am I missing something? I only want my mail held or forwarded, it makes no difference. I will be traveling for 3 months. All my important mail is done electronically. But I don't want a bunch of mail in my mailbox informing the burglers that I'm not home.

And advice?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Am I missing something? I only want my mail held or forwarded, it makes no difference.
"Official" USPS policy is to only hold mail for 30 days - some very rural postmasters will bend that policy I have been told. If you are dealing with more than 30 days you have to forward it somewhere, and if you cannot find a friend or relative to deal with it you are going to have to pay for a service somewhere. We tried the USPS premium forwarding one year. What a disaster. No flexibility. Mistakes galore, and trying to find a human to fix the mess was awful. Regular mail forwarding, either temporary or permanent, is free.

We have a PO Box, a UPS box, and stick and brick addresses in more than one state. We routinely forward mail temporarily from one to another (and lots of times longer than 30 days from the PO Box) without issues. As long as the rent is paid on the box, I do not believe the PO cares if it sits empty.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #12

Interesting to read your comments on this subject.
In our part of the globe, we do not have the option of forwarding because any government mail such as Dr Lic or Veh Lic renewal (health care etc) cannot be forwarded.
If there is a forward at the Post Office they MUST return it.
We tried the forwarding to a UPS box last winter and come spring when it was time for new veh registration etc. we got a bit of a surprise. I drove around for a month before it doned on me that my registration had expired.
Now we are not sure what to do. If there are any Canadians looking at this thread, I would be interested in what others are doing.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I would like to do mine same as Jzick and Kix are doing. However, my local post office says they will only forward the mail to a PO box for 30 days also. Any advice?
I think there may be some confusion of terms when you spoke to the USPS people. What we here call "Forwarding" is what the USPS calls a temporary Change of Address. At the USPS link below, click on "Change of Address - Learn More" and read about the Temporary option - it is good for 6 months of First Class mail and costs just $1 when set up online and free if at a post office. You can have your mail rerouted to any valid address served by the USPS. If your local Postmaster says otherwise, direct him to the USPS web site or his superiors.

https://www.usps.com/manage/manage-your-mail.htm

"Hold" is a different thing and limited as you stated. "Forwarding" means to them their Premium Forwarding Service, which is priced way out of line.

A Change of Address is not even handled by the local post office anymore - the Regional Mail Sorting facility intercepts the mail, puts the revised address sticker on it and sends it to the appropriate destination post office without your local PO ever seeing it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We get all bills online except doctors. Our address is at a family members house. All mail is screened, most tossed. If a Dr bill, the account and amount is texted to me, and the bill is paid via Bill Pay at credit union.
The very rare need for actual mail is via Fedex etc to our RV resorts.
Simple. Effective
I stand by my statement above. Simple. Effective. Free.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote