Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #1

Our 5th Wheel has become Our Lifeboat

Well, things have calmed down & the water has drained so I thought I would share our experience and good fortune as Hurricane Harvey flood survivors. We left our home in Lumberon, Texas on August 28th before water got into the house. We stayed with friends across town while our home was inaccessible for six days until the water went down. Luckily, we decided to take my truck & my wife's car with us & both vehicles are fine. Our neighbors parked their cars in our driveway when they left because our driveway is higher than theirs. Those three vehicles were flooded and totaled.
The really good news is that our 5th wheel was in the shop at Sherrod RV Center in Silsbee, Texas for some minor repair and maintenance. Not only was our rig high and dry, but it was also inside the shop. We are able to live right here at our house in the rig which is under a big 16'x48' RV port that we've had for years. The high water marks on the buildings and fences indicate that water would have been up to the trailer's floor if it had been at the house.
I just wanted to share our blessings and good fortune with our fellow RVers. Some people choose full time RVing while others have it thrust upon them. Under the circumstances, it's not bad at all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
That is good news indeed. Sorry about the damage to the S&B. But, you have a roof and that’s good. Let the rebuilding begin.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Glad you and your family were safe from the flooding of Harvey! Homes can be rebuilt and new "stuff" purchased. Lives can not be replaced! I had my diesel pusher motorhome fuel tank full and generator engine oil/filters changed should the Katy, TX area lose electrical power which has happened in past major storms. Fortunately the power stayed on! I presume your home flooded as the Neches River overflowed its banks. And yes RVs of all kinds are good, temporary homes when needed! My prayer is my motorhome is always just a "family toy" !

Good luck with rebuilding your home!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:47 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Great news Mudflat! I am glad that you were able to preserve your lives, vehicles, and 5W. Sorry for the damage to your home and those of your neighbors. As a Katrina survivor, I know what it is like trying to get your life back in order. Take advantage of the support available (food, water, supplies, and volunteer labor). Live in the moment, take it one day at a time, and do what you can as you can. Help each other. One day you will look around and things will be normal (almost) again. It is a great advantage to be able to live in your RV during the clean-up.

Regards,

John
johns1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
great news,
its sad you have house damage, but on the bright side,
yall are alive and can be near during the rebuild.

heres, to yall being back to normal in a speedy way
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel