Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #1

New Horizons Owners Club
Our Costs to Travel for Six Months.

The following is an accounting of our cost while traveling 11,275 miles last year. We spent 174 total nights out. We stay in nice parks with Woodall's ratings of four stars or better. We full time in a New Horizon travel trailer which we tow with a Chevy Duramax Diesel four door long wheel base truck, GCWR of 21,000 pounds. Full traveling weight is 20,500 pounds.

Statistics:

145 nights in RV parks, total cost $4,407, per night $30.40
29 nights boondocking, including 22 nights at Walmart
Generator Gasoline, 80 gallons, total cost $287.90, Cost per gallon $3.60
Diesel for truck, 896 gallons, Cost $3450.00, Cost per gallon $3.85
Propane, 26.20 gallons, Cost $86.40, Cost per gallon $3.30
Groceries, Total cost $6,416.89, (4,918 at Walmart Includes prescriptions)
Restaurants, $1871.41
Total Misc, $1945.65 (Tours, Tee Shirts, etc)
Cash $478.33 (God only knows)
Truck Maintenance, $1,454.13 Tires, New Batteries, Routine Service

Total expenses $21,574, per day $124.00

Our rig:

chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
HI,
Your listing looks about right, but then I look at what people have reported as an average of $2500 a month and your total daily looks high. it must be the tours, Tee Shirts, and etc., that don't get reported by the "other one." Hee hee!

I'm going to have to go back now and check to see what I spent, but it will not be all inclusive. We find it very difficult to keep the receipts and/or add the misc., stuff in.

Thanks.

It's a starting point.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #3

We have been full-time for a little over a year & I, like you, thought it would be interesting to see just "how much" it actually costs us. We full-timed over 10yrs ago in 1999 with a 5er & I also kept track of expenses ( thought it would be interesting to see how much more expensive it had become).

Anyway, it is now considerably easier to "keep track" since I now have a free iPhone "app" that calculates & organizes every expense. I also keep track of more things.... (1) Insurance - Health, Auto/RV, Home (2) Utilities - Cellular & Satellite TV (3) Personal Stuff- Clothing, etc.

Our costs 10yrs ago were around $125 p/day and in 2011 they are pushing $169-170 p/day. Just our costs... I am sure you could do it for less as we throw in quite a few expensive rounds of golf, etc, & we also keep track of everyone of those expensive Starbucks latte's!

Cheers
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #4

The last few years we have traveled on about $2000 per month average, because that's all we had available. Where I see the significant difference in your budget versus ours is the groceries/dining out area, and we don't include the one time maintenance items you did.
alageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I estimate a dollar a mile for our long trips and that works out reasonably close. We rarely eat out but do spend a few dollars on gifts for grandkids.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
Our total doesn't include our communications expenses or insurance. Our cell phones and Verizon Air Card run about $200 per month and insurance for the trailer and truck are about $2000.00 per year.

We don't budget, if we want to do something or buy something, then we do it.

This year we will be traveling with a caravan for about six weeks. I'm sure this will be more expensive than just wondering around like we have in the past.

Our old rig next to our new rig. We started in the Casita and graduated to the New Horizon in late 2008.

chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alageezer View Post
The last few years we have traveled on about $2000 per month average, because that's all we had available.
Maybe I should clarify this just a bit. We had this amount available to spend on the road after all the other household bills, ie house, auto, insurance etc have been paid.

We operated on a budget out of necessity. but that will change this year because the available funds have increased drastically.
alageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #8

Jack1234, which app do you use? I use "travel wallet free" and like it very much. My expenses for our 2500 mile trip this winter came to &1.00 per mile. This is the number I use when figuring an approximate cost for a trip and it is always close actual expenses.
dbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeck View Post
Jack1234, which app do you use? I use "travel wallet free" and like it very much. My expenses for our 2500 mile trip this winter came to &1.00. This is the number I use when figuring an approximate cost for a trip and it is always close actual expenses.
? ^^
Old 02-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I always like to keep a running tab on where our money goes, you would be amazed at how much can be piddled away if one doesn't keep track. We aren't fulltimers yet, but I think keeping tabs of expenses is a good thing to get in the habit of doing.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeck View Post
Jack1234, which app do you use? I use "travel wallet free" and like it very much. My expenses for our 2500 mile trip this winter came to &1.00 per mile. This is the number I use when figuring an approximate cost for a trip and it is always close actual expenses.
We use ExpenSense....I did not do a lot of research before I chose this "app" & there are some things I would like to change or improve, yet on the whole, it has allowed me to create my own categories & summaries which has allowed us to track expenses pretty easily and with accuracy.

Not sure I understand your $1.00 p/mile formula. We did around 15K last year & our costs were closer to $4.00 p/mile.

Cheers
Old 02-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #12

In all fairness...can you include: meds, food, telephone, insurance etc etc??

Those are expenses you'd have if staying at home or weekend camping....yes? no?
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
In all fairness...can you include: meds, food, telephone, insurance etc etc??

Those are expenses you'd have if staying at home or weekend camping....yes? no?
'

Correct ...I'm not weekend camping....my RV is my home. If I pay for it... it is an expense.

Cheers
Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Chaunclm
They only expense that I do not include in our expenses is food and Meds. If you stayed home for those 174 days you still have that expense.
The biggest expense is RV parks, to help lower this expense we use Coast to Coast or Passport America to lower that expense. We use C t C enough to recoup our cost of $2,000 in 8 months. Biggest savings RV Park rate was $65.00+ tax we paid $10.00
When we go out on a trip it will last anywhere from 7-10 months.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel