Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree that it seems to be unethical behavior and should be reported. But you should have had things in writing, and understood exactly how the process would work. I've sold a motorcycle on consignment at my local dealer. They get a fixed fee for displaying and merchandising the unit. Then a percentage of the sale price. When a buyer came along and made an offer, the sales manager called me and told me what the offer was and what I would net from the deal. All open and above board. It was a good experience. And I ended up netting the same $ as what I had been trying to sell it for myself for 9 months.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #30

John got screwed plain and simple. Bull to the talk about dealer overhead like lights and parking etc.. That stuff is all part of he/them whatever choosing to be in business. Sure John trusted them, that was his mistake, but any one of us would be pretty P O'd if we got taken for it not the full $7500, at the $1500 they told him he would clear. To me it sounds like just another episode of the "Slime Ball RV Dealer World Turns" soap opera we're so familiar with. This industry gives the used car dealers and salesmen a gold star in comparison.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Also someone mentioned perhaps the dealer put money into it... awnings, etc. A dealer wouldn't do this for a consignment unit. They are 'as is'.
Not necessarily true. As I said, the RV that I purchased WAS on the lot on consignment (otherwise, the original owner would not have been contacted to approve the deal/my offer). Since the owner's "take" was my offering price, minus the $7000 that the dealer put into it, minus the dealer's commission, the owner got the final say. But that arrangement was obviously made up front, likely in writing, when the owner brought the rig in to sell.

A good friend just sold his toyhauler trailer at the same dealership, on consignment. His, however, was quite new, and in pristine condition, so the dealer's arrangement with him was simply a set dollar amount, anything over was the dealer's profit.

Again, it depends on the age and condition of the RV; an older RV is unlikely to sell at dealership lot prices unless certain items have been upgraded/replaced (tires, batteries, weather-beaten awnings, etc). Many dealers won't waste time trying to sell a rig that has any existing "issues", so the repairs are made, and the costs absorbed into the deal somewhere. My selling dealer didn't want my older RV ('88 Jamboree Class C) as trade-in or consignment; he simply felt it would be too hard to sell at any profit. I sold it privately instead (on Craigslist).
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Not necessarily true. As I said, the RV that I purchased WAS on the lot on consignment (otherwise, the original owner would not have been contacted to approve the deal/my offer). Since the owner's "take" was my offering price, minus the $7000 that the dealer put into it, minus the dealer's commission, the owner got the final say. But that arrangement was obviously made up front, likely in writing, when the owner brought the rig in to sell.

A good friend just sold his toyhauler trailer at the same dealership, on consignment. His, however, was quite new, and in pristine condition, so the dealer's arrangement with him was simply a set dollar amount, anything over was the dealer's profit.

Again, it depends on the age and condition of the RV; an older RV is unlikely to sell at dealership lot prices unless certain items have been upgraded/replaced (tires, batteries, weather-beaten awnings, etc). Many dealers won't waste time trying to sell a rig that has any existing "issues", so the repairs are made, and the costs absorbed into the deal somewhere. My selling dealer didn't want my older RV ('88 Jamboree Class C) as trade-in or consignment; he simply felt it would be too hard to sell at any profit. I sold it privately instead (on Craigslist).
The motorhome didn't have anything done it,it was a good clean unit.
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wasn't suggesting otherwise, but even tires and batteries are often replaced on a 21 year old RV in order to make it an easier sell. And no offense, but we all have a much rosier opinion of our RVs than others may have.

In any case, it appears that you should have gotten the consignment conditions in writing.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #34

We traded in our Class C this past October. The dealer gave us $33000 for our 2008 31 foot with 13,400 miles on it. They have it for sale on their web site for 44,000 and here we are in February with it still on their lot. I saved by not having to keep it insured and did not have to winterize or do my yearly inspection, excise tax, nor put 6 new tires on it. I keep watching their web site because I want to see how long it will take them to sell it. I would think someone will offer them 25% off asking price. It does seem that your dealer made out well and I feel bad for the person who purchased it since you had payed 8,000.
mrrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #35

in the end...

- you accepted the deal
- the purchaser approved the deal
- the dealer made money

why is there any more discussion?
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:38 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Our story on selling our Motorhome

I don't think people understand how much money is made on the sale of a RV. Sure there are expenses but they are all about sell high ! The person who bought it at asking price isn't unusual. It happens more than one would think. I had a friend who spent time in the industry and felt 20-30% paid close to full price with little negotiation. You wouldn't believe the profit in a new high end coach even after 25-30% off ! The fact that they tried and did squeeze a additional 1500 out of the consigner doesn't surprise me . Sales is a dog eat dog business I hate.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:22 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I sold my last MH on Craigslist. It was old (1988) and weathered, but although everything worked, the dealer (where I bought my replacement) didn't want it. No problem; I put it up for $3000 (NADA valued it at $3500), it sold quickly. Within 24 hrs I found it on Craiglist for $4500. I don't care what the buyer got for it; more power to him, and I got what I asked for it. BUT, it was still in my driveway (he hadn't picked it up yet) when I saw his CL ad. THAT was annoying.

Tags
motorhome