Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Looks like I'm the odd-ball. We buy a cheap LP grill from WalMart about every 8-10 years, they corrode away, we buy another for $29.99 and begin the cycle again. We're on our 3rd one now. If one keeps them cleaned up occasionally, don't store them wet, they seem to last a very long time. Oddly enough, the burgers, brats, steaks, etc taste just as good as what I fix on my big LP grill at home that cost $500 new.
Nope your not the only odd-ball. I have the $30 charcoal grill from Wal-Mart too and really enjoy firing it up with the hickory soaked wood chips to add to the flavor. If it wasn't so cold outside right now I would be grilling now

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #44

Weber Q120 here...5 years old and still going strong. Modified it to use with the trailer's low pressure quick connect so unless the rig runs out of propane, I'm always good to go. Easy to do with the Q series, remove the regulator and add the quick connect fitting in its place. I also put a quick connect fitting on the regulator and can "quick connect" the regulator back on and use a 1 lb can if I want to take the grill with us on a picnic away from the campsite.

Cooks well, heats evenly and cleans up well. The only thing it was missing was a thermometer. I got a generic thermometer, drilled a hole in the top and now I've got a thermometer for those things that need to "simmer" for a while at a given temperature.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
Weber Q120 here...5 years old and still going strong. Modified it to use with the trailer's low pressure quick connect so unless the rig runs out of propane, I'm always good to go. Easy to do with the Q series, remove the regulator and add the quick connect fitting in its place. I also put a quick connect fitting on the regulator and can "quick connect" the regulator back on and use a 1 lb can if I want to take the grill with us on a picnic away from the campsite.

Cooks well, heats evenly and cleans up well. The only thing it was missing was a thermometer. I got a generic thermometer, drilled a hole in the top and now I've got a thermometer for those things that need to "simmer" for a while at a given temperature.
Where did you get the quick connect fitting for the regulator fitting? I had the hardest time finding the right way to make everything work. I still can't hook into the trailers' quick connect.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #46

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Yep. Weber Q100. You can get smaller cheap stuff but they rust out quickly. (Done that)

Same here, they are great!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #47

The low pressure fittings used by the RV industry are the MB Sturgis 250 series. I get all of my fittings from:

1/4" Model 250 Quick Connects - Quick Connects & Plugs

I had some fittings floating around the shop from some other projects and I used them to extend the male on the grill for additional clearance for the regulator that quick connects back onto that stub.

They also sell the hoses, I've got 1x4', 2x10' and 2x12', for my Weber and my Campfire-In-A-Can and they have the "dust caps" for both the female and male fittings if you want them. Just make sure that you get the "low pressure" 250 series. The quick connects, unless side-by-side, all "look" the same, but, there are minute differences to keep you from using the wrong type on the wrong application.

Here's what the adapted grill looks like:

and here is what the lid looks like with the thermometer installed:

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you like your steaks rare or medium rare then I recommend the Char-broil 2Go X200 Infra-red grill. I just bought one after looking forever for a grill hot enough to cook the meat fast with a good charing and leave the inside rare. It gets to 600 degrees quickly and did the steaks perfectly. I will likely use it at home for steaks instead of my patio grill. It's well built and looks good. Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 - Model 12401734 - Grill2GoŽ - Gas Grills - Grills

Good luck,
Dave
Old 03-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
We just bought a cheaper than Webber walmart brand that folds and fits nicely in the basement. DH hooked into the main propane tank so when we want to grill, we just hook up, turn a valve and cook. We feel more comfortable with that set up than with separate tank. We have a line that allows us to grill well away from awning and MH.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #50

Weber seems to be the choice of many. I have probably gone through at least 3 other brands ( one even stainless steel ) and all failed in short time. The Weber came with a nice fold up stand thats very solid and I went with the new 20 pound propane tank made of poly and is 50% lighter than steel tanks and you can see the propane level.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #51
KIX

Very nice grills here:

The Rasmussen & Solaire Store
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davel View Post
If you like your steaks rare or medium rare then I recommend the Char-broil 2Go X200 Infra-red grill. I just bought one after looking forever for a grill hot enough to cook the meat fast with a good charing and leave the inside rare. It gets to 600 degrees quickly and did the steaks perfectly. I will likely use it at home for steaks instead of my patio grill. It's well built and looks good. Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 - Model 12401734 - Grill2GoŽ - Gas Grills - Grills

Good luck,
Dave
We've got the Coleman Roadtrip and are pretty pleased with it going on 3 years now. Have considered upgrading, but wasn't sure which way to go until I just now saw the Char-Broil that Dave pointed out. Our home grill is a Char-Broil Big Red, 4 burner, also infrared. I've never had or seen any grill that cooks better than this beast. I'm book marking the page to the Grill2Go. Thanks Dave!
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WOW, what a great list of different type of grill. I didn't ask but thanks to all for the great information.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post

The Margaritaville grill is what I had in mind. There was a similar one called a Freedom grill. Can't find either of these in stock anywhere. Anyone have an idea where to get a new one?
The Margaritaville Grill was made by Freedom. Freedom went out of business. I was able to find a new one on eBay..,,keep looking they do occasionally show up. Just found a Freedom cover and the extension hose that converts to a 20 gallon tank on Amazon. The grill does a nice job and swings out to use.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #55
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Looking at propane grills I can store easily (lightweight and small) and cook for 4 or more on. Anyone in love (or hate) with theirs and want to share information on it? Don't want charcoal or electric.
For me, its a Weber Q all the way. Ours is a 200 series and I like it better than my $1400 Vermont Castings BBQ at home. Fast, even cooking!

If you do a search at the top, you will find a whole host of replies to your question.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #56

Wife and I balked at the price of the Weber Q100 for the RV. After we got it, she liked it so much we bought one for the house also.