Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #57

On the quick connect adaptor do you not run a regulator? I have given up on running my weber off the big tanks as the regulator shuts down from low pressure. I have gone back to screw on tanks never a problem now. Or do you t off the regulator on the rv?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #58

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use an Extend A Stay tee before the regulator. It came with a 12 foot hose that screws to the regulator on my Coleman. I had a problem once when it was really cold out so the liquid was having a hard time boiling off into a gas. Other than that, never a problem

Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #59

I have a Traeger pellet grill at home that we love. Ours is the Texas model, purchased the Junior model for my folks, then attached the legs with wingnuts so they'd be easy to remove. That model would fit in the basement storage. They currently have a RoadTrip they carry in their 5th wheel. I see now Traeger has a portable (PTG) model for camping/tailgating. The unfortunate thing is it doesn't have quite the grilling area as some gas grills. Once you cook on a pellet grill you probably wouldn't use gas again. No flare-ups. We use ours at home to cook bacon for breakfast...saves cleanup in the house, smoked turkey, steaks, and even frozen pizza. Clean-up is easy with a foil lined drip pan. As for gas grills, I'm with the previous poster and have a cheap Wal-Mart grill we carry our 5th wheel. It's $35 and will burn things just as good as any other gas grill, I hate babysitting a gas grill, and by not using it very often, usually end up having things to done for my taste. I am hoping to purchase the portable Traeger when we start camping again this summer.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #60

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had the coleman for 9 years and still love it, when I was looking it had the most btu's in its class, it can cook steaks fast, and still cook pancakes they didnt have infared back then or not as popular.
Good luck on your hunt
Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Can't argue Coleman Road Trip over Weber. If I ever wear out my Coleman I'll try the Weber. I have a big Weber at home and like it very much.

However on two occassions I have inadvertently broken my Coleman Road Trip. My dog did the first one; snapped off the fitting for the regulator. I called to get the part which was not made any longer. Coleman sent me a complete new stove to replace a four year old one. So I used the new one for three years and wound up melting the handle, my fault. So I called to get the part and Coleman sent me an entire new stove again. My experience is Coleman is a good company and they stand by their products.

I have never called Weber because I have never messed up my Weber stove.

Hard to beat the Weber RV models, but the Road Trip is no slouch IMHO.

Road Trip allows the changing of the grills to accomodate griddling, grilling and just useign a pot or pan on the stove. Nice feature.

True enough however this is just grilling not BBQ.
I posted earlier stating my disappointment with the Roadtrip. Since reading your post, I contacted Coleman. No burner parts available for my Model. All they said was sorry, the grill can't be repaired. This was one of their high end Paul JR. designs with thermometer, some chrome trim (now rusted). It is too bad I have to dumpster it, I really liked it, but my service experience was not at all similar to yours. It's Weber Q time for me.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I must have balked for close to two years before spending the money for the Weber Q100, then nearly pitched it the first time I used it. Finally figured out that I didn't wait long enough for it to heat up properly and I was having feed problems with a hose on the Marshall extend a stay. I had joined two 10' hoses to get a bit of distance between it and the grill. Now, wouldn't trade for it. For charchol, I carry a Wally World $9.99 sheet metal grill. Wish I could find a cast aluminum or iron version the size of the Wally World one.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #63

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Does the Weber get filled with water like the Coleman to prevent flare-ups? How do people clean the grease out when it is half water half grease? I pour the water out carefully and then use paper towels on the grease but maybe there is a better way. I don't like to wait until I get home though, then it sits until the dogs eat it.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #64

Hi

I have a little weber 220 and its been the best small BBQ I have ever had. It doesn't fill full of water, but don't really get flare ups, can cook 4 steaks no problem. I use a Coleman distribution T with a lantern on top. One hose going to the BBQ and the other going to a Coleman propane
Stove. I also use the little 1lb disposable tanks if we are just parked a night or 2 and don't need the lantern. I Also have the little adaptor to refill the 1lb bottles from a 20 or 30 pound tank.. Can fill them 5, or 10 times before they are ready for the garbage. YES I know they say not refillable on them but if you do it the right way and do a leak test after they work great. The little adaptor is about $15, you don't get them as full as they a were when new but they run the BBQ a few hours. And when I'm back home I take the burner out of it, and use my pressure washer to clean it up.
Dale M
Old 03-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #65

The only time I had a serious flare up on my little weber was the very first time I cooked ribs. Did not realize there was so very much grease in them. Not a pretty thing but definitely a learning experience.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #66

National RV Owners Club
Just on a whim I did a google search for flare up proof grill. Right at the top of the list was Holland Grills. I've never seen anyone mention Hollands as a good choice, but they seem to be a pretty good choice also.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #67

WE had a gas Holland grill, it was awesome, did our turkeys in there every Christmas - sold it with the house as it was hooked up to the gas line. Highly recommend them, but don't know if they have propane sets small enough to travel with, ours was pretty big.
You can cook a pie and a chicken at the same time and the flavours don't transfer.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #68

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
WE had a gas Holland grill, it was awesome, did our turkeys in there every Christmas - sold it with the house as it was hooked up to the gas line. Highly recommend them, but don't know if they have propane sets small enough to travel with, ours was pretty big.
You can cook a pie and a chicken at the same time and the flavours don't transfer.
They've got one called the companion shown below. Looks like it might be compact enough.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #69

Ford Super Duty Owner
Removed the regulator from the grill and installed a T for the grill AFTER the regulator on the MH. Works great!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought the Coleman Roadtrip LTE. I modified it to eliminate the regulator and connect directly to the MH main tank. The problem I had with other grills using the small bottles is that so many have the control knob built into the regulator. The Coleman has two independent burners and the controls on the front.

So far, so good.

NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote