Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-21-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
Outdoor tv

If you use a tv outside, what do you have? We are thinking it would be great to have something we could bring outside for hockey playoffs, NASCAR, baseball pennant races. We've looked at tvs made for the outdoors, but they are a bit out of the budget right now.

Lilrhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
Excel Owners Club
Just what I want to hear a bunch of hockey fans shouting and yelling in the campsite next to me.

John & Rita
2014 Excel Winslow 31IKE
2013 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax 4X4 dually
Jhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most new made factory exterior TV's are mounted inside a weatherproof box...but for our first year Outlaw the factory took a much simpler approach.

Inside a bin door (bin doors lift up on a gas strut) near the center of the awning covered area is a bracket that holds a 2 piece/removable TV mount.
Two of the TV's inside the RV (a 17" and a 26") are installed on this mount, so either can be carried outside as desired..

The compartment has power and cable connection. The TV is returned to the interior when not in use, preventing damage inside the bin.

This TV mount is in a lower position than most new exterior TV's and we have found that makes for less impact on neighbors who may not want to share our TV experience...important 'cuz the post above is not an out of the ordinary reaction

We have also thought that another QM-100f base could simply be mounted on the RV's exterior wall for a higher viewing position.

Just one way to do it.
Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
Thanks Scarab - we were wondering if bringing one of the inside TVs out would work. Last summer, there were several nights where the neighbours and we wanted to stay out by the fire, but also to see the playoff game rather than rely on the radio coverage.
Lilrhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
Mine came with the old tube style I changed it out for a 40 inch 1080p led fits perfect in my bay it was cheap on Black Friday.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
I have a 22" LED TV in the bedroom that I can easily remove and take outside. It has a male/female type mount, I bought a second mount just like this and mounted it on an extendable arm in one of the basement compartments that already had a cable connection and 120 volt outlet. I can take the TV out and hook it up and when I'm done just take it back inside.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
I used a Mor-Ryde slideing mount I put in one of the basement doors. Mounted a 32" Samsung and a soundbar. Works Great
2014 Excursion 35B
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
I had one of the old TV's and took it out with the wood unit it was enclosed in and installed a small fridge and a 22" TV on a swing arm. The TV is always on the side of the fridge and if we want it we swing it out beside or in front of fridge. We hardly look at the TV outside but if we want to it's there. We use the fridge way more than TV
Roger & Lynne
2006 Mandalay 40 F 2232 400 ISL Allison 3000
2007 Toyota Camry SE Toad 4 down
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
In the past, we have taken a small TV outside, kept the volume way down, and watched a football game. As a general rule we don't do that and selected a MH that did not have the outside TV as an option. Many campsites are very close together.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #10
Originally Posted by Jhav View Post
Just what I want to hear a bunch of hockey fans shouting and yelling in the campsite next to me.
Or hitting each other with those hockey sticks.
TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:41 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
You don't need a TV made for the outdoors unless you want to watch it in the rain. Any TV will do. As suggested, try and convert a TV you have now to use the same quick release mount. Often when you wall mount a TV, you need to remove the pedestal base. If you have the old base you can use that or buy a new one and save the base for outdoor use. There are a ton of ways to mount one in a bay too.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #12
You could also buy a headset to go along with the TV.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote