Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Outside electrical outlet non-gcfi

Our MH has an outside electrical outlet however it isn't GCFI. Which is odd to me since the bathroom and kitchen have GCFI's. I'd like to change it out for a GCFI, but I'd like to put it on my DH's honeydo list.

How difficult would it be for someone to replace it themselves? Also need to replace the bathroom one as it pops when it is used. Our owners manual makes it sound like we shouldn't try to replace it ourselves. Dh has tons of experience replacing and installing home outlets and GCIF outlets how different would it be for the MH? I'd prefer him to do it, but not at the chance that he might damage our MH.
momoflots21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may find the outside outlet is on the same circuit as the bath or kitchen or both. If so it would be redundant to place one outside. I have a regular outlet (RV type) outside same with my stick house---the GFCI's are inside on the same circuit. Unless the GFCI outlet is different, in shape or some other manner in a 1995 MH then it is no problem to replace one----the new goes in just the same as the old that you remove. Black to Black, White to White and so on. It is not uncommon for them to get more sensitive as they grow older.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
The outside outlet runs off of one of your GFI's. Probably the bathroom.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the electricity turned off--of course.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Hit the "test" button on the kitchen and/or bathroom GFI and see if the outside outlet still has power. If it does, you'll need to wire one in. Don't forget to hit "reset" when you are done.
MrIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
You may find the outside outlet is on the same circuit as the bath or kitchen or both. If so it would be redundant to place one outside. I have a regular outlet (RV type) outside same with my stick house---the GFCI's are inside on the same circuit. Unless the GFCI outlet is different, in shape or some other manner in a 1995 MH then it is no problem to replace one----the new goes in just the same as the old that you remove. Black to Black, White to White and so on. It is not uncommon for them to get more sensitive as they grow older.
Ditto. I would suspect that your outside switch is protected by one of your inside GCFI switches although it appears to be a regular outlet. At any rate, replacing outlets with GCFI in a MH should be a snap.

BTW, putting the year, make and model of your rig in your signature line can help others help you without them having to go to your profile to get the information.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #7

If the outside outlet receives power from a GFI on the inside then you are protected and do not need to have another GFI outside.

If you want to find the circuit it is on then plug a radio or a light in your outside power and trip your GFI inside the MH to see which one controls the power outside.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #8

I would be willing to bet that if you checked, the outside receptacle is hooked to a GFCI receptacle inside the rig and is protected by that.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The outside outlet is GFCI, Likely the one in the bathroom powers both it and the kitchen. (However it could be the other one)

IF your RV is new enough to have GFCI outelts, then the code requires it for the outside.. However the oulet itself need not be a GFCI unit..

Breaker box======GFCI-Outelet======GFCI-Protected-outelet====GFCI Protected outelet

And so on I have One GFCI in my rig but FIVE outlets are GFCI Protected, You trip the one and all five go dead.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow, thanks for all the great information! Sure is appreciated!!

Going to go try to set up a signature
momoflots21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical