Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #15
Entegra Owners Club
I fretted about this before buying my 45 footer and now I would never go back to anything smaller. My buddy has a same brand, year and model coach and we both agree that mine handles better. Must be the longer wheelbase. We really enjoy the extra space and carrying capacity. Yes, there are a few places where we won't fit but I think you would have to be well below 40' before that was not an issue.

Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #16
I wouldn't have a single rear axle 40-footer. The restricted payload and increased wind effects are the main reasons why. 40+ footers may find difficulties in staying in some CGs, primarily east coast state parks. We have driven our 45-footer in most states, Canada and Alaska and have always found a capable CG. A 45-footer does take more real estate to turn, but it just requires more caution.

Some can be very content in a Sprinter chassis based RV, others can't ever have enough space. The first thing you need to determine is how much space to you need. This will determine the minimum length and number of slides.

99 Country Coach
Prevost XL 45 Conversion
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Christy sums it up pretty well. The bigger the rig, the more limited you'll be on site choice, especially in state or federal campgrounds that were established decades ago. That said, it's not slowed us down much. We've always been able to find a suitable site somewhere near where we want to be from which it is still convenient to explore those parks.

We're full time and wanted to bring as much "house" with us as we could. As pretty much everything we own now has to travel with us we also wanted to maximize available storage. While we've met a couple that spends 6 to 9 months each year in a small pop-up, we wanted a more residential experience. If we were still using the RV for the occasional week or two vacation and a few odd weekends we'd have something much different and more flexible.

It's a personal choice. I doubt whatever you end up with will be the last. Having now lived in it for 4 years we've come up with small list of things we want in our next coach, you will too.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #18
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
My buddy has a same brand, year and model coach and we both agree that mine handles better. Must be the longer wheelbase.
Same brand, year and model but yours is longer wheelbase? I thought they were the same brand, year and model.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #19
May or may not get extra storage underneath because of the tag (extra set of wheels) where another bay would be. I guess a 42' tag would equal a 40' single axle as far as bays are concerned.

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel
U320 4010
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #20
We full-timed for 16 years and volunteered in many national and state parks and our 40' motorhome fit in just fine in the volunteer spots.

In addition, we've stayed multiple times in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, Zion, Grand Canyon, Bryce and other national parks and also many, many national forest campgrounds and state parks throughout the country. Public parks were also our first choice.

There's no reason to say that a 40' motorhome cannot fit in these kinds of parks. I will say, we wouldn't have wanted to go bigger. We loved driving mountain roads and secondary highways and stayed off interstates unless absolutely needed to get from one secondary road to another.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #21
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
A 45-footer does take more real estate to turn, but it just requires more caution.
Our 45' tag axle rig turns just as well as our 40' no tag rig did. The secret is the lifting tag.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:33 AM   #22
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by AndySally View Post
What will the advantages and disadvantages be will the over 40' long coaches. I will be going full time larger coaches seem to have better floor plans. Can they carry more weight or STUFF?

Advantages: More stuff! More Living Area.

Disadvantages: Limited access to State and National Park campgrounds. They were made before RVs had slideouts and needed pad lengths over 30'. Limited public parking at times.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #23

A lot to be considered when getting a coach .... how will it be used .. what are your priorities ... living space ... storage, etc ... as you can see from all the remarks posted, it's certainly not a one size fits all situation.
For us ... full timing ... meant we would have everything with us so storage was important (and believe me the trailer helped with that). Living space right up there at the top ... which of course included floor plan. We basically do main roads & hiways and not a lot of state/fed parks ... so we could get as big as we could, with as many slides as we could find. Yeah, we watch very closely where we take it, plan as much in advance as possible as the biggins are a bit more to maneuver.
Good luck with your search .... take your time .... and you'll find the right one !!!
Hal & Jackie .... 03 TS Select 45DS01
02 Haulmark 20' Edge .... 02 Corvette Rdstr

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #24
Great comments. Real important that you check the CCC ratings of any coach you're looking at. Some coaches left the factory with a front axle already at full rating for weight - without any of your personal stuff added to the mix. A few, even worked to have the chassis ratings increased 'on paper' after the fact - as they were pressured by dealers. (These all are the exceptions, but good to know before purchasing.)

Suggest you pick your budget. Go kick many tires and walk thru and sit in many rigs. Come up with a list of Must Have's and Nice to Have's. Both of you sit down and determine a short list of manufacturers and models that meet this list the best. For fluttering, I always recommend to 'Drop years to remain within budget, and buy the highest quality rig that you can find.' (That meets your needs.) Quality lasts, and provides a good foundation to modify to 'what you two want' - vs what may have rolled out of the factory.

One other advantage, important to me, was by going with an older good quality rig - you can get engines with less 'smog stuff' on them. KISS can make a difference over the years ahead!

Others, prefer buying new, and could careless about what makes the rig go or stop, just taking it into the shop to have them 'handle it, handle it'! And that is for sure OK - it comes down to personal choice.

We went with a 40' tag. Have over 11K lbs of CCC. Can turn in an area tighter then our previous T28' Bounder, as the tag usually means the drive wheels are mounted a bit forward, allowing a tighter turning radius. We also went with two drivers side only slides, deep slides, not shallow slides. No moving kitchen plumbing, and more cabinet space above (Kitchen slides you can lose from 4-6" of upper cabinet storage.) If we had found the right coach with a third slide, with the third slide being the bedroom, we'd have been OK with that too. But, have not felt cramped with two drivers slides. And yes, I did get my KISS engine, as it was a 2004 era engines, before all of the wave of multiple years of smog changes started kicking in.

If I had found a 42' before the 40', I would have gone with that - as you usually pick up another half bay of storage under neath (Three full, vs many 40' coaches have 2 1/2 bays.)

We plan accordingly, and admit that we've had a few places we'd have liked to have gone to that we could not fit in, or could not have leveled in. But very seldom here on the West side of the country, and you just work around those times as they come up. (Wish I had kept our Bounder as our Toad!)

Best of luck to you, and have fun along the search,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #25
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not a full-timer, but I am exploring the option of going full-time. I recently purchased a 40ft (40' 9") and a couple of my priorities were:

1) Driving stability: tag axle and comfort drive
2) NCC: 11,000 lbs
3) Quality reputation: Newmar
4) Bath and 1/2
5) Washer/Dryer
6) Storage: Inside - good, outside - marginal (If I was full-timing, I don't think this would meet my needs. It looked large when it was empty ).
7) 40 ft: Due to my current RV storage location.
8) Power to weight ratio: I have the 450ISL which I thought would be great, but right now, I haven't been impressed with the performance on 6% grades pulling a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (45mph). Since it has low mileage, my understanding is that it will "loosen" up.
9) Independent Front Suspension
10) Good Insulation

Here's my NCC information, just for a reference point (4018 floor plan).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NCC.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	99652  
2015 Newmar Dutch Star - 4018 (ISL 450hp)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Cody (Australian Shepherd puppy)
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #26
one huge disadvantage some rv parks can't fit a larger rv mine is 40 ft and times it is a problem
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #27
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our 45' tag axle rig turns just as well as our 40' no tag rig did. The secret is the lifting tag.
Wheelbase and front axle turning angle determine turning radius. Not all coaches of a given length have the same wheelbase. My 45-foot coach's wheelbase is 314" while the longest wheelbase of any 45-footer I'm aware of is 334". Lifting the tag may help but it can't overcome wheelbase and steer axle angle.
99 Country Coach
Prevost XL 45 Conversion
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #28
yes but lot of rv parks can't fit you in.my years of rving I have a 40 ft would not go bigger,just my opinion

lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote