Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #1

Over 45 Resort

I discovered this week there is an "over 45 only" campground/resort south of my town. It's out in a rural setting, so definately not a "resort destination". Thankfully, it's not also one of those "clothing optional" places.

Frankly, I didn't know such places exist, except maybe in Florida. Looks like a nice place, but can't see really why a family would even want to go there when there are several state parks in the area, some on nice lakes.

There was a lively discussion thread on the "class A only resorts" with many opinions pro and con. Suspect the same on this subject, but I expect more in favor of it, knowing this crowd.

My opinion is that I really don't see the point of this, other than to keep all the cranky old people in one place so we can keep an eye on them.

It ain't exactly cheap either - $33 a night.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It's probably to keep kids out or down to a minimum.
And I know quite a few clothing optional resorts that are very family friendly and have very strict rules on things. They are some of the nicest and cleanest places I have stayed yet.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I discovered this week there is an "over 45 only" campground/resort south of my town. It's out in a rural setting, so definately not a "resort destination". Thankfully, it's not also one of those "clothing optional" places.

Frankly, I didn't know such places exist, except maybe in Florida. Looks like a nice place, but can't see really why a family would even want to go there when there are several state parks in the area, some on nice lakes.

There was a lively discussion thread on the "class A only resorts" with many opinions pro and con. Suspect the same on this subject, but I expect more in favor of it, knowing this crowd.

My opinion is that I really don't see the point of this, other than to keep all the cranky old people in one place so we can keep an eye on them.

It ain't exactly cheap either - $33 a night.

"Getting It" is not necessary, if that rule doesn't fit your style, don't go there.

Personally, If I used RV parks, which I don't, a place with that rule would suit me as I cannot tolerate screaming tot's nor inconsiderate youngsters.

Just my way!

Ed
Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #4

You think that $33 is expensive. We are staying at a state park in Virginia and with fees and taxes, it right around $29 per night. And of course, there is no sewer hookup. Now the ambiance at the state park is great but we can get much better deals at private parks. And yes, sometimes we like it when fewer children are around and like it even better when their are no dogs. That is why 55 and older parks are so popular in snowbird locations.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is pretty simple.

Florida, Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona,
California, all cater to a diverse clientele much of it is older (most folks get there sooner than they think) so they have differing acceptances at private RV parks/resorts. Private means just that, people go there to enjoy the atmosphere they prefer when in their RV and they are willing to pay for. It's marketing.

Elderly people who already have raised their children and have a passel of grandchildren sometimes seek the solitude of time together in their RV. We for instance love children but now that we can we like to visit on our terms not theirs. Our motor home is our respite not a cave.

Currently we are in a public facility (very well managed) and the temperament changes when there are children about, not in a bad way they are just having fun, but in a preferred way we tire of going to the pool and having the spa marked for adults only choked with kids. So during this spring break we will just avoid the pool.

Public facilities are different and less restrictive of course because they serve the broad range of public interest. We understand and accept it when we stay in a public facility.

Clothing optional? Well private does not generally mean nude. But nudity is generally considered a private interest. I believe that is the naked truth.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #6

I wonder if people would feel the same if there was a "no over 50" park in a desirable location. Actually I think that could be illegal, wouldn't it? Funny how the reverse is not.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It would not be illegal, Augusta National Golf Club a private golf club has restrictions as an example, no women. They may have relented by now but many private organizations restrict legally.

But it would be financially disastrous because old folks have all the money.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #8

Believe me, if I thought it would make money, I'd build an RV park for 18-29 year old, female, aspiring models with a relaxed sense of morality. Clothing optional.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We enjoy the adults only RV parks. They cater the activites to that crowd, We also enjoy state and national parks. Its just a choice of free enterprise. No discrimination intended. There are also many 55+ active adult communities such as Dell Web.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Believe me, if I thought it would make money, I'd build an RV park for 18-29 year old, female, aspiring models with a relaxed sense of morality. Clothing optional.
Awesome idea!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
As a dog owner and lover, I would almost prefer a no pets park to a no kids park. Been annoyed so many more times by loose dogs and barking dogs than I ever have by nearby kids.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
It is pretty simple.

Florida, Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona,
California, all cater to a diverse clientele much of it is older (most folks get there sooner than they think) so they have differing acceptances at private RV parks/resorts. Private means just that, people go there to enjoy the atmosphere they prefer when in their RV and they are willing to pay for. It's marketing.

Elderly people who already have raised their children and have a passel of grandchildren sometimes seek the solitude of time together in their RV. We for instance love children but now that we can we like to visit on our terms not theirs. Our motor home is our respite not a cave.

Currently we are in a public facility (very well managed) and the temperament changes when there are children about, not in a bad way they are just having fun, but in a preferred way we tire of going to the pool and having the spa marked for adults only choked with kids. So during this spring break we will just avoid the pool.

Public facilities are different and less restrictive of course because they serve the broad range of public interest. We understand and accept it when we stay in a public facility.

Clothing optional? Well private does not generally mean nude. But nudity is generally considered a private interest. I believe that is the naked truth.
Golly, old age creeps up in a hurry. I was only 55 when I HIT 55. Lord all mighty. How could this happen. And a few days later I was celebrating my 71st BD.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We stay a couple of months each summer in a small park (28) sites, no pool, no playground, it suites our senior lifestyle just fine. The management doesn't discourge kids, there's just nothing for them to do.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #14

If somebody has a good business model and it works, and anybody has druthers about it, they can go elsewhere.
I only complain about things I can change

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote