Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #1
Overbilt Motorcycle Lift Experiences

I hope this is the right forum for this. I am taking delivery on a 2016 Itasca Solei 38R pusher in a few weeks and want to put an Overbuilt motorcycle carrier on it rather than towing a trailer. The lift plus my Gold Wing tags in a 1,300 lbs. Overbuilt says it's no problem for the frame to handle and the dealer says the unit can handle it also. BUT, here's what I'm looking for.

What happens to the control characteristics of the coach? The math doesn't change ... the rear wheels are a fulcrum and the more weight you put behind them, the lighter the front end becomes. The question is how much? Does this negatively impact control or are the effects negligible? I've checked a variety of forums and what I am looking for but can't seem to find is someone who owned a motorhome, drove it for a while and then put one of these things on. Lots of opinions and generalities but no hard facts (at least that i could find).

Long story, simple question: did the installation of this unit make your diesel pusher noticeably "lighter" in the front end?

BigGuy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 03:12 AM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To determine the weight difference, first with the bike off, weigh the front axle alone and then the rear. Repeat the process again with the motorcycle on. This will tell you how much weight was taken off the steering tires and how much weight was added to the rear tires. Good info to know to determine proper tire pressures.

Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:46 AM   #3
Your rear wheels are so far back that I doubt you will notice. The main thing to worry about is the stuff that will get on your GW while you drive. Anyway, if you use this form to figure the weight added to your rear tires - it will be more than you stated weight of 1300 pounds - the extra weight over the 1300 comes from the front end from the fulcrum effect you described.

Getting there is half the fun - take your time and enjoy the scenery.
2012 Thor Outlaw
2000 Heritage Softail
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:55 AM   #4
I have the same concerns since we don't have a tag axle either.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote