Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2009, 04:44 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jack, off of the subject but who is that cutie on your picture? I know it is not you. Surly not your DW, maybe your granddaughter. Had to inject some humor.
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackm View Post
Lets face it. Bad driving isn't limited to RVers. In Germany, you get fined if you get caught tailgating (driving too close to the next car). In Europe, you immediately lose your license the first time you're caught driving under the influence. My point is that the U.S. isn't exactly the gold standard when it comes to enacting and enforcing tough driving laws.

Sure, it would be nice if RVers had better driving and parking skills. But I wonder if this is the best place to put our limited resources. Since nearly half of all fatalities are caused by drunk drivers, unskilled RVers are probably a pretty low priority these days.

That being said, there sure are a lot of people that have trouble getting into a site. Sometimes, it's outright bizarre. My wife and I witnessed a situation in which a man got so angry at his wife (who was trying to help him back up), that he tried to run her over. Luckily for her, he lacked the necessary skills to get the job done.

Jack
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:47 AM   #16

It is true that there are many apparently under qualified RV drivers. It also remains true that the vast majority of on road vehicles are of the four wheel variety with far too many exhibiting their lack of common driving skills.

Considering the current climate for governmental interference in all aspects of civilian life nowadays I too will opt for no more government and more personal responsibility i.e. practicing with your RV before hitting the road.

I can't seem to comprehend the motives of those who seek more government interference in our lives. I try to be responsible for my actions and accountable for them. On the other hand there are those, some here, who seem to want more regulations, all for best interests of course. For me, Less is More when it comes to the loss of individual rights and further governmental interference in our day to day affairs.

Just an old guys' opinion of course.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
wildblue, from another ol' guy, well said, I totally agree with you!

Dieselclacker
Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
tmh462: There had to be a lot more to that dually story. Florida hasn't even had CDL's all that long and you do not now nor have you ever had to have a CDL to drive you own dually truck. It may of been way back before CDL's when Florida had Operators and Chauffeur's licenses?

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #19

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I have to agree with the less government crowd. I do not wish to live in a nanny state. And for those that ask what if was one of your loved ones was in a tragedy caused by an incompetent RV driver, I say we face many dangers every time we get on the road and I am willing to face that risk rather give up my freadoms.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #20

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh462 View Post
There was an issue a few years ago in Florida where a man towed his 5er to the campground, unhitched, and got pinched for speeding while going for supplies. I'm not sure what happened during the traffic stop, but the end result was the man was arrested for driving his duallie without a valid CDL. His wife had to call a tow truck to get the duallie towed back to the campground, because neither of them had a CDL. I remember legislators were trying to get that law changed, because, IF IT HAD BEEN A 40,000 POUND MOTORHOME, HE WOULD NOT HAVE NEEDED A CDL! But, since it was a pickup TRUCK, with a GVW of over 10,000 pounds, he was required to have a CDL to drive it, even though it was his own truck. Also, if he had been renting the truck, he wouldn't have needed the special license. This was something that was pretty widely covered by the media at the time.
I think a person should be required to demonstrate ability to operate a vehicle that, for example, weighs more than X pound, or tow a trailer that is over X feet long, or weighs more than X pounds. My opinion is a single axle utility or travel trailer being towed by a regular half ton pickup would not need a special license, but anything much bigger would.
Florida Class C NonCommercial Driver Licenses HAD a 8000 lb GVWR. You needed a Class D above that. When Police started stoping pinkup trucks for invald license the state chanced the law to 26000 lb GVWR for Class E and did away with the Class D. Anyone can drive a noncommercial vehicle up to 26000 lb except CLASS E-Learner: Motor vehicles less than 8,000 LBS. You can't learn to drive on a 1/2 ton pickup.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #21

From the article the 72 year old was pushing on the gas to slow down.I don't think the length had much effect under those conditions.
Bob
Old 11-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
From the article the 72 year old was pushing on the gas to slow down.I don't think the length had much effect under those conditions.
Bob
I believe the point is, should something happen, then the overlength situation gets cited.

Rusty
Old 11-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #23

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

At one time I thought that the 70's was ancient...now that I'm 66 does'nt seem that way. I'm a lot more cautious now than teens, 20's 30's 40's 50's. I'll know when to hang the keys up.
I agree that a skill test and written/walk around exam would be beneficial not only to the general public, but to the driver also. I would further suggest that the license experience four the general public needs to be more tightly controlled. A periodic behind the wheel test every 8-10 years might be a good idea. In the meantime right foot for accelerator and brake, left foot for clutch...watch out for the other guy and know the behavior of the vehicle you are driving
Old 11-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
I have to agree with the less government crowd. I do not wish to live in a nanny state. And for those that ask what if was one of your loved ones was in a tragedy caused by an incompetent RV driver, I say we face many dangers every time we get on the road and I am willing to face that risk rather give up my freadoms.
The problem with that statement is that it assumes driving to be a "right". I do not believe the founding fathers were contemplating giving us the "right" to drive our motor vehicles. Driving is, and should remain, a privilege for the folks who demonstrate the responsibility to do so safely and within the law, that's why we have license requirements to begin with.

I don't want a "nanny" state either, but I sure as heck want to make sure the yahoos driving 30,000lbs missiles down the interstate are qualified to do so when when my family is sharing that road with them. If I have to get a endorsement to drive a 400lbs motorcycle, I think the same should apply for vehicles over say 10,000 lbs or 25".

Lastly, I am sure you would not be saying anything about your "freedoms" if you were staring at your critically injured wife and children in a hospital bed.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
All too many of the RV drivers do not have a clue to the towing laws and requirements of their home state, let alone the laws in other states.

I know this will start a war, but I am all for an endorsement on the license to qualify for driving a motorhome and/or pulling a trailer.

Ken
I'll vote for that! Most states require a motorcycle endorsement, yet no special test for driving 30K#, 60' long @70 MPH???
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 11-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #26

I don't care how many endorsements, tests, reviews and on and on you people want on your freedoms. None of these will stop the daydreamer, the drunk, the wrong pedaller, the cell phone user, the bee swatter, the speeder, the lane changer, the agressive driver, the heart patient, and countless other types from having an accident and hurting others. If YOU can drive your rig as safely as you know how, thats all I expect from you. Just stop handing over my freedoms to the bureaucrats; got it!!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If folks do not want "government intervention" in their life, let's just drop all licensing. No drivers license, no Doctors exam or license, no engineering exam or license and no license for pilots.

The purpose of licensing is to see that the person has minimum knowledge and skills to perform a certain task. You certainly do not want an unskilled Doctor cutting on you or an unskilled engineer designing the freeway bridge you drive over. This easily extends to the fact that no one wants an unskilled person driving that 20,000# plus rig down the road at 70 mph.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 11-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm View Post
tmh462: There had to be a lot more to that dually story. Florida hasn't even had CDL's all that long and you do not now nor have you ever had to have a CDL to drive you own dually truck. It may of been way back before CDL's when Florida had Operators and Chauffeur's licenses?
That's funny, I've had a Class B Florida CDL since 1993. It even says "Safe Driver" on it...
Oh, and the "duallie story" was in 2004. Near Plant City, the arrest was made on MacIntosh Road, near I-4.
Closed Thread