Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #1

Overnight Parking with Toad

We are traveling from the East coast down thru Texas, Missouri, and back thru Ohio next month. This will be our first time towing a Toad. When we stay for several days I do plan on disconnecting the Toad to get around. My question is- If there is room do you disconnect each night or leave the Toad attached overnight? I am practicing hooking and unhooking the tow bar so I will not be playing around too much getting it ready to go each day. The Toad is a 2013 Eqinox LTZ with a Roadmaster towing setup. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You do not have to disconnect every time you stop for the night. Tractor trailers are longer then you and you are not taking up anymore room then they are.

Have fun and wave when you come thru TX.

FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use pull though's while in transit. When we call for a parking spot, we specify a pull through long enough fit both without disconnecting.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We never make reservations unless it is a holiday weekend or some place like fort wilderness. We usually decide on a campground and call ahead and see if they have room for us, when we are about an hour or so away. (gotta love that cell phone.) If we are not going out to eat or sight see, we ask for a pull thru site. 90% of the time it works for us. If we have to unhook, it is no big problem. I can unhook in a couple of minutes.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #5

I do the same as the rest. If I can not get a pull through and the site is big enough I will disconnect the the car and back it into the spot and then back the rig into the spot . I can then hook the car back up at my leisure.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #6

If you choose to stay connected don't forget to turn off key to save the battery.I clip the key to the steering wheel so I will not forget to put it back in the morning.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had one occasion where I parked for the night and had to unhook due to length considerations.. Normally I only unhook if I need to drive the beast Or if it's a back in site.

One thing.. on my coach if someone disconnects the towed an alarm will sound inside the RV.

On my old towed due to the modification I made to tow it it was a true trailer (no power to the wheels) so iuf a thief tried to do a bit of midnight car shopping....He would be going no place very very fast.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing to watch for when stopping overnight and leaving the toad connected is the motor home rear end lift required to level it. The toad can roll forward some when the rear end of the motor home is raised but it needs to be in neutral. If the rear end has to be raised too much it will be necessary to unhook it.

That didn't happen often to me but it did happen a few times over the years.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #9

I toe a Equinox with a Roadmaster toe bar with ready brake. It is an easy hook up unhook. As others have said if in a pull through I leave it hooked up. I would never leave the key In the car, even when stopping to eat. That would make it to easy for a thief.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #10

I want to thank everyone for their sound advice and ideas. Especially about the Toad keys, battery, and height when leveling MH. For starters I think I will try and park in pull thrus if possible. We have 5 stops planned before we reach our first layover destination in Texas.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #11

Practicing attaching and disconnecting is great. I made a procedural checklist when we bought our MH and had DW's Jeep modified with base-plate and M & G engineering braking system. We checked each item as we accomplished it, and it soon became a routine. We allow NO-ONE to interfere or stop us midway.
One time we were traveling with a group, one member was interrupted while hooking-up. He forgot to put his car in neutral, pulled it about 3 miles before anyone noticed. That cost him 2 new tires!
We leave the "valet" ignition key in all the time while towing because the remote will lock/unlock the doors, and it and chipped ignition key is on a disconnect from the valet key. One time DW spotted a man close to her car,(rear camera) she pushed the alarm button on the remote, the man did a quick backstep and walked away.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveht View Post
You do not have to disconnect every time you stop for the night. Tractor trailers are longer then you and you are not taking up anymore room then they are.

Have fun and wave when you come thru TX.
Sorry! I wrote my answer on that you would be staying in a parking lot like Wal-Mart. For a overnight parking I don't use camp ground. Few days yes!

Dave
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll just add this to the good info posted already... every time we stop for a break or gas or for the night, we do a quick "walk-around" of the entire rig before getting underway again. We look at all tires and check the tow setup. It only takes a minute and gives a little peace of mind.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad