Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
One of the strangest nights DW and I spent in our unit was on a trip back east last year. We got delayed getting off the Island by the ferry service and were about 2 hours late leaving the boat slip for our planned night time stop.

When we got to Merrit BC we find the place that we were planning to stay at had closed for the season and we were at a loss for a place to stay. While heading back to the main highway we saw the local RCMP detachment and there was a young officer standing by her car so I pulled into the parking lot and asked her if she knew of an open RV parking lot close by as I was too tired to drive much further.

She said "What's wrong with where your sitting right now." so we stayed in the front parking lot of the police building for the night. We even had a security check happen a couple of times during the night. Felt very safe there.m
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #30

We overnight in rest areas or in large enough turnouts all the time. One of my favorite spots is along Hwy 101 a ways north of Ukiah; a beautiful view of a valley, fairly level, and large enough that cars aren't whistling by your windows.

I think these days, especially with the advent of cell phones and E911 locators, "desperate people" know that engaging a vehicle that is occupied is not just dangerous (since occupants often have lots of ugly implements even if they don't have firearms) but likely to end up with them in jail. I'd say that, despite the recession, I've seen far fewer "questionable" characters floating around rest areas and such than back in the 1980s and 1990s.

These days, though, most of 101 doesn't allow you to just stop and overnight against some of the prettiest views of the world; instead, they try and force you to spend money to sleep in a glorified parking lot. If I wanted to do that, really, I wouldn't own an RV; I'd just stay in hotels.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #31

Church Parking Lots, Masonic Lodge, Elks Club, etc. if you are a member. I also like to stay in State parks, at lakes, and ski areas year round.
When on the road from point A to B I just find a place when I am tired. I will not pull into a RV park after dark and hate to leave before sunrise (its rude to those staying there) so if I am traveling I usually just drive till I stop and use a roadside park or rest area. I perfer rest areas on parkways, more secure.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
A druggie will kill to get a fix: That said; I don't get paranoid about staying at wallyworld or a flying j overnight.
Had someone come in my garage(broad daylight when we were home and stole my leaf blowers) bad guys are everywhere; If you are fearful, lock your doors, put bars on the windows and never leave your home.
You have nothing to fear, but fear itself.
Well said!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
I do speical event parking from time to time. One of the best events I have ever done was a blue grass festival. People showed up in every thing from class A's to tents and by night fall small groups of entertainers had formed and played late into the night. In the morning I was greated by the smells and sounds of breakfast from our small settlement getting ready for the days events.
David and Teresa,

That sounds Great! That is what RV'ing is all about! Continue to enjoy the lifestyle for many years to come.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are more adventurous than we are...I have been tempted to do exactly what you've done, until I think about the guy needing the cell phone, or a stranger pulling up behind you, and I don't feel I want to arm myself-yet. I just want to park in a nice secured rv park or be around others in a group environment.

Signed...fraddy cat!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #35

We almost always stay at Flying J, our most memorable experience was waiting in the MH for DH to use the facilities before we left. A truck with a TT pulled in to gas up, the driver got out to pump gas and a lady got out of the trailer without him seeing her. She went into the store and as she was walking out the driver got in the truck and pulled away...right out the driveway! She ran across the parking lot screaming but he never looked back. I don't know if she called his cell phone or the police but he eventually came back...she jumped in the cab and away they went. I don't think I would have wanted to be riding in that truck!
Casey NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
It used to be that way here in the USA until it became so popular and common for others to impose their beliefs on others via the courts.
?????
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When on the road we almost exclusively stay in Flying J's. I can only think of 3 times that we have stayed at a WalMart. Rest areas are also a NO NO for us for overnighting. I feel those should be left for the truckers. If they get tired they need a place to stop a sleep. During the day I will stop at one but not usually there more then 15 minutes. Pulling off a roadside area would NEVER happen. The way things are today I wouldn't trust that at all. As you probably can tell we like the Flying J the best. We feel more secure there and being we always buy our gas at one it's convenient to get off the highway by at 5:00 pm get the fuel, any things we might need in the store or even a bite to eat if the DW doesn't feel like making something. Well that's our story and we're sticking to it.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #38
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a big safety issue in a rest stop or a wal mart in a neighborhood you are not familiar with , this is 2011 not the 50's. If you have to look outside every time you hear an engine running its not worth it. Not to mention the convienance of plugging in at a campground. I find it strange that I see some folks with a 300k coach in flying j's or shopping center parking lots trying to save a few bucks.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
A druggie will kill to get a fix: That said; I don't get paranoid about staying at wallyworld or a flying j overnight.
Had someone come in my garage(broad daylight when we were home and stole my leaf blowers) bad guys are everywhere; If you are fearful, lock your doors, put bars on the windows and never leave your home.
You have nothing to fear, but fear itself.
YUP - BIG difference between preparing and alert to trouble, and just plain ASKING for it...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
There is a big safety issue in a rest stop or a wal mart in a neighborhood you are not familiar with , this is 2011 not the 50's. If you have to look outside every time you hear an engine running its not worth it. Not to mention the convienance of plugging in at a campground. I find it strange that I see some folks with a 300k coach in flying j's or shopping center parking lots trying to save a few bucks.
Well, think about it from the "bad guy" point of view. He doesn't know who is inside. He doesn't know if they are armed. He probably thinks they do have a cell phone. Why would he even bother? OK, just think about it as if it was you and you pulled up next to an RV with a need to knock on the door. Aren't you the one going to feel uncomfortable?
I don't see any convenience to plugging in at a campground. I have the RV because it's self-contained and THAT's what is convenient. I don't need anything from anybody. 10k coach or 300k coach, I think it's about convenience, not about a fee to spend the night, although that is a nice side benefit.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
When on the road we almost exclusively stay in Flying J's. I can only think of 3 times that we have stayed at a WalMart. Rest areas are also a NO NO for us for overnighting. I feel those should be left for the truckers. If they get tired they need a place to stop a sleep. During the day I will stop at one but not usually there more then 15 minutes. Pulling off a roadside area would NEVER happen. The way things are today I wouldn't trust that at all. As you probably can tell we like the Flying J the best. We feel more secure there and being we always buy our gas at one it's convenient to get off the highway by at 5:00 pm get the fuel, any things we might need in the store or even a bite to eat if the DW doesn't feel like making something. Well that's our story and we're sticking to it.
Thanks, Steve, I'm going to be actively looking for Flying J's on our next trip to who knows where. Sounds like it would be right up our alley!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #42

Quote:
I think it's about convenience, not about a fee to spend the night, although that is a nice side benefit.
Sounds grand in print - but I'd bet that if there were a bunch of FREE full service CGs surrounding the usual free spots, the "usual" free spots would be empty...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote