Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #1

Overweight issues,...have you had any problems?

I registered my F350 truck and later found out it is only good for 8000 pounds. I may be at 9600 pounds with the truck camper and trip stuff.

Do they hassle TC'ers over 1600 pounds or so overweight issue?

Do you big class A and C guys deal with weight issues like this?
slackercrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Most states won't hassle RVers. I have heard of RVers being turned away from the PA turnpike due to overweight ...not hassled, but not allowed on the turnpike either. A much bigger concern is tire and braking safety, and unnecessary wear and tear on the rig due to overloading.

And yes, Class A's and C's do have to be weight conscious. Many of both class are overweight or nearly so out the factory door before the buyer puts any stuff on board ...less so now than several years ago, but it still can happen. It is less likely to be a problem for diesel rigs than for gas, but some diesels have problems there too.

Class A's and C's ...like ALL RVs ...should be weighed as loaded for travel (both "stuff" and fluids), and unloaded until they are within the weight ratings of the rig, individual axles, and tires. And then the tires should be inflated per tire mfg'er charts to support the weight they are carrying.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You may have an issue with the state on what weight you registered the truck for. A sharp officer might note that a TC will put you over your tag rating...presuming Ohio is one that you buy your tag fro the weight, regardless to what you are hauling. Texas does not.

What is the GVWR shown on your data plate on the door jamb.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #4

My rock has a rock collection from all 48 states. Try hauling that around.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You may have an issue with the state on what weight you registered the truck for. A sharp officer might note that a TC will put you over your tag rating...presuming Ohio is one that you buy your tag fro the weight, regardless to what you are hauling. Texas does not.

What is the GVWR shown on your data plate on the door jamb.

Ken

GVWR is 10,700

Figure I'll be at 9600 or so with TC.

Registration says 8000 pounds unless I buy add ons.

Most of the time will be at 6554, empty truck wt. Only over limit according to registration with TC and gear. Not overlimit according to GVWR.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If your gvwr is 10,700, why does your registration only say 8000?

Sounds like a paperwork snafu to me. you are certainly not overloaded...
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
In some states you buy a weight reregistration...more weight = more $$$$. So theoretically, you can register the truck for more weight than is on the data plate and the stupid lawyers and politicians are happy that you can haul more weight.

How much more would it cost to get the tag rating fro the GVWR?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
In some states you buy a weight reregistration...more weight = more $$$$. So theoretically, you can register the truck for more weight than is on the data plate and the stupid lawyers and politicians are happy that you can haul more weight.

How much more would it cost to get the tag rating fro the GVWR?

Ken

Yes, that explains it.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercrust View Post
Most of the time will be at 6554, empty truck wt. Only over limit according to registration with TC and gear. Not overlimit according to GVWR.
What year is your truck? What body style? I know that the Superduty line, when it came out in 1999, ran heavy. The F350 Crew Cab, long bed, diesel hit the scales at over 8000 lbs empty - contrary to what most people thought. They were a sturdy truck - I don't know if they've shed much weight since then but I don't think they'd shed close to 2000 lbs to get down to your stated 6554 lbs. Maybe a trip to a scale is in order?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
What year is your truck? What body style? I know that the Superduty line, when it came out in 1999, ran heavy. The F350 Crew Cab, long bed, diesel hit the scales at over 8000 lbs empty - contrary to what most people thought. They were a sturdy truck - I don't know if they've shed much weight since then but I don't think they'd shed close to 2000 lbs to get down to your stated 6554 lbs. Maybe a trip to a scale is in order?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #11

They dont care, they dont look, and you have no reason to worry , IF you prepare your truck to carry the load. All they can get you for is reckless driving, are you gong to do that?
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #12

We owned a 1999 F250 7.3 and it tipped the scales at 7900 lbs. with fuel. We had a 9600 lb tag. The thing that I don't understand is that our 1997 GB Pursuit weighs about 300 lbs. less than the GVWR without water. How can a manufacturer get away with that? I know that in PA the higher the weight sticker the higher the insurance cost. We don't have a choice,we are maxed out. I hope Karen does not gain any more weight.
tomkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
They dont care, they dont look, and you have no reason to worry , IF you prepare your truck to carry the load. All they can get you for is reckless driving, are you gong to do that?
There is nothing that, you, the owner can add or have added that will increase the GVWR or GCVWR UNLESS the rig is recertified by the original manufacturer. That's Federal law
Now, you can add items to make it safer to haul the GVWR and GCVWR BUT NOT increase it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #14

Your GVW is somewhere around 11,500 Lbs. It may just be registered for 8,000 Lbs.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote