Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-10-2015, 09:26 AM   #57
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I really don't miss the high cost of license plates. Now that my coach is twelve years old, they are much more reasonable.

dieselclacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #58
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post

Not all used coaches are based on how much one can afford, it may also be based on what someone wants to invest based on it's limited use.

To me to use a RV a few weeks a year didn't justify a $300K investment, but I could afford it if I wanted to.

Well said Jimbo, couldn't agree more!

dieselclacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #59
Winnebago Owners Club
Rather than list what I am missing, I'll list a few things I have that I wouldn't have with a new coach.
  • 19' boat with 115hp Yamaha
  • More trips to more places with no concern for budget
  • A few extra bucks to help feed my photography hobby
It is all about your particular priorities and means. Our focus is on experiences, not things. As two retired school teachers we just can't have it all, so a used coach is our best alternative.
Don Simmons
2006 Winnebago Voyage 33V Pushed by a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva
Visit us at Travels With Linda
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #60
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our number one reason for purchasing an older unit was cost. Not purchase cost, but annual taxes and fees. Here in New Hampshire, we have no income tax on wages, and no sales tax. Property taxes are huge. The cost to park a new MH in the driveway is higher than we pay for our 3200 sq. ft. house.

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freightliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #61
We bought a 10 year old Newmar 4011 DSDP with 30K miles for $80K. Before we purchased the 2004 we drove a 2015 (new) Newmar. The ONLY difference we could find in the two was the 2004 was $200K less money!!!

Buy a good quality used MH and NOT a new one. 10 years old is nothing for a DP if it has been taken care of.

We always buy from the owners and NEVER a dealer. You can find out exactly how it was maintained that way.
Rick and Lynda Smith
2004 NEWMAR DSDP M-4011-SPTN 8.9 Liter Cummins
2011 GMC SLT 1500 4WD CREW toad
vapor3000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #62
While budget did play a part in my selection to some degree, we still went with a 20 year old Winnebago on a Freightliner chassis. We could have purchased a newer gas coach for the same money and picked up a slide, however I really did not want a slide and the ride on this thing is smooth and oh so quiet. The only thing we really don't have is a modern LED TV up front. If we had a few years newer diesel coach we would have gained the Quiet Diesel genset, but I don't know if the first gen of those were really that great anyway. Disc brakes up front would be nice, but we haven't noticed not having them so far. So I guess I am in the camp of Quality over flashy. And I really do think that overall quality of many brands took a hit when the economy went in the toilet in 07. I would rather have a 00-05 American Eagle or Ultimate Advantage than a 2015 comparable coach.
1996 Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour 35WQ-P
5.9 6bt 12 valve MD3060/6
Vectraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #63
After reading all the forums and something I didn't see in these five pages of posts are

When buying new instead of used you get to make new friends. Like the mobile mechanic that comes to your site because the swintech slides won't operate, and you miss having to leave the wife at home because the front end is overweight if you fill your fuel and water tank to name a few. Oh and I have no axe to grind as i have a fiver and not a MH but those are what I see a lot on here.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #64
Winnebago Owners Club
IMO the most important thing about buying a coach is to buy one the fits your needs.

Sit down and determine the features and options that you require or would like to have when you are camping.

We went to several (more than 5) large dealers and spent time wandering through their inventory (ditched the salesman). Both used and new. We were looking for the floor plan the would fit our needs.

We wanted:
- residential fridge
- all electric
- bath and half
- king bed
- comfortable chairs with high backs
- Aqua Hot
- TV across from couch (nothing above windshield)
- stacked washer/dryer
- no dishwasher

When we saw a coach we liked we would sit down and discuss what or how we would stay in it when we encountered inclement weather for several days.

Once we determined the floor plan the fit our needs we looked at various manufacturers who had the design or something really close. We looked at used and new.

We finally decided on new for several reasons:
- we picked the options we wanted
- we picked the colors we wanted
- we dropped the dishwasher option
- we got a coach that we knew how it had been driven and maintained since it had no miles.
- any issues we had were covered by warranty while we learned about maintaining the unit.

There are many coaches for sale out there. If you buy used be aware that there are numerous threads that talk about users dissatisfaction with their unit and trading it off for another. I think most of them will tell you it is a wonderful unit with no issues.

Good luck with your search.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #65
I notice no one mentioned the extra headroom from about 2005 and later. I am 6'5" and the 6'6" ceiling with air conditioner panels, ceiling lights, antenna cranks ( I hate those the most) led to many knots on the old melon! We are in a Teton fiver now, but are shopping 2005-07 DPs. Leaning toward Monaco/HR with RR8R chassis. That extra few inches should lead to less use of bandaids.
mmhailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:36 PM   #66
Buying a new coach comes with warranty, the smell of new and all the bells and whistles. It has status and promises of a long life. It is not such a bad thing if you can afford it and most of us, with the means, would make such a purchase. Nothing wrong with wanting an unused toilet, a new bed or an unblemished couch. A walk thru an RV Show is seductive and surprsingly well attended and not all patrons are just looking. There are those who buy the million dollar rigs and it goes down from there, nothing wrong here, your money, your choice. There are those of us who do not have as fluid of a cash flow, need to face the finance man and anwser all the intrusive questions to qualify for a new or used coach and to that person the used coach is a gold mine awaiting discovery. I purchased my old coach with cash and have never really looked back. I will move up as I think slides are a very worthy consideration IMHO. It will be used, older and solid and hopefully I will be able to pay cash but for the right package but I would consider a loan sufficent to pay off the difference and be paid off in a very short period of time. We all approach a major purchase like this differently and there are advantages to used or new.
Phil & Carol & Ariel, Grey Lady
2016 Ram CTD 4X4
2009 Carriage Cameo F35SB3:dance
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #67
In 2008 we started looking for a class A went every year to the Fl Tampa show and all the smaller RV shows. We knew we wanted a used gasser but looked at everything. 2014 we went to A Camper world in up state NY found an 04 Fleetwood Flair. Love at first site and brought her home.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #68
Probably a big difference in who buys new and who buys used is the God-given skill sets you were born with. I buy used because I can. If something breaks I have the skills needed to repair it myself and I do take pride in a job well done. Other people arenít able to repair things, they just donít have those skills, but they have other skills such as making and accumulating a lot of money in various ways, so they buy new. So whatís the problem here, we all make decisions for different reasons that suit us. Whatís wrong with that?

If someone wants to look down their nose at me for my 21 year old RV I feel sorry for them and am just happy that Iím me and not them .

Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #69
I have used up I don't know how many #2 pencils try to figure which is better gas or diesel I'm sure you could do the same on old or new. By the way I figure gas is the way to go all the way around. I drive a diesel. Its just what you want
Raving is a hobby hobbies cost money
halftimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
My limited experience suggests to me that coaches built before 2008, generally speaking (which means of course there are always exceptions) were better made. My 2005 has had the usual maintenance issues with installed equipment, but the build by Newmar has been flawless.

TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote