Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Owners of older MH's. What are you missing compared to newer ones?

Seeing I a champagne taste on a beer budget, what would I miss either functionality, drive-ability, features (safety/bells and whistles) if I was to purchase a 2007 or so MH compared to a 2014/15/16? I am wanting a DP 40+ with good amount of room to swing a dog over my head :-)

Thoughts?
ssignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Please don't fling your dog over your head! Maybe a hotdog would suffice the urge....
Old 12-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not missing a thing in my 2006 Safari Cheetah 40PMT. I was rather adament against the front door, wanted the door midship, and this beast has that and alot more. Air ride was verry important, got that too. Bells and whistles up the wazzoo!!
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hello:

Welcome to iRV2!

In a well-built class A, I don't think you'll see many changes in function or driving in a 2007 vehicle v. a newer one.

As far as bells and whistles, you may want to consider the entertainment electronics - TVs and the like have changed a lot in 8 years, but they are usually simple to upgrade. You may not find an integrated GPS unit in a rig of that age, but you may not want or need one. There are new gadgets that are fun - electrically controlled blinds, etc., but only you know what's important to you.

There are definite benefits to buying a well-kept, well-maintained older rig. Someone else took a big depreciation hit when it was new, and many, if not all, of the new rig bugs will have been addressed. Know that many people recommend changing tires out at seven years old, so look for that, as well as good maintenance records when checking out a used rig. Also, when shopping for a used rig it makes good sense to me to take an RV mechanic/inspector with you to make sure that all the systems are in good working order and that there are no hidden surprises (i.e. water damage).

During the winter is a good time to go to RV shows to see what the newest ones have, as well as checking out floor plans. You may want a bunch of slides, just a few, or none at all. Floor plan for me is the first check point - if I don't like it, I move on.

Happy Hunting!
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #5

Consider a Blue Bird because they will never be a throw away coach. They were last made in 2009 so a late 90's or somewhere before 2009 will be a well built coach as are all the vintage birds still out there.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #6

I agree with virginiamtns. I recently purchased a 2002 class A. The stereo had a cassette instead of CD and the TVs were old CRT. Easy fixes on both. Meanwhile, I got a great coach at a price that was much easier to swallow. Most bells and whistles are neat, but not necessary.
GrumpyOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:28 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamtns View Post
Hello:

Welcome to iRV2!

In a well-built class A, I don't think you'll see many changes in function or driving in a 2007 vehicle v. a newer one.

As far as bells and whistles, you may want to consider the entertainment electronics - TVs and the like have changed a lot in 8 years, but they are usually simple to upgrade. You may not find an integrated GPS unit in a rig of that age, but you may not want or need one. There are new gadgets that are fun - electrically controlled blinds, etc., but only you know what's important to you.

There are definite benefits to buying a well-kept, well-maintained older rig. Someone else took a big depreciation hit when it was new, and many, if not all, of the new rig bugs will have been addressed. Know that many people recommend changing tires out at seven years old, so look for that, as well as good maintenance records when checking out a used rig. Also, when shopping for a used rig it makes good sense to me to take an RV mechanic/inspector with you to make sure that all the systems are in good working order and that there are no hidden surprises (i.e. water damage).

During the winter is a good time to go to RV shows to see what the newest ones have, as well as checking out floor plans. You may want a bunch of slides, just a few, or none at all. Floor plan for me is the first check point - if I don't like it, I move on.

Happy Hunting!
You make some good points. I do know what I want as far as floor plans/slides etc.. We really like the Newmar Dutch Star($$$$) or Ventana($$$) 4369 floor plan, so we are looking at ones close to those (Bath and 1/2) and opposing slides in the living room. "it makes good sense to me to take an RV mechanic/inspector" that is a very good suggestion, noy sure how to find one yet.

Also a lot of the older ones have ridiculously low miles from what I see, just barely broken in :-)

Thanks
Old 12-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOleMan View Post
I agree with virginiamtns. I recently purchased a 2002 class A. The stereo had a cassette instead of CD and the TVs were old CRT. Easy fixes on both. Meanwhile, I got a great coach at a price that was much easier to swallow. Most bells and whistles are neat, but not necessary.
I agree about the Tv and stereo upgrade is way cheaper then buying a new one for those types of things. Also switching out the lighting to LED lights.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Please don't fling your dog over your head! Maybe a hotdog would suffice the urge....
Old 12-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #10

We aren't missing a thing and our rig is 15 years old.Basic electronics are in need. We have replaced to TVs and will replace the stereo soon. We don't have surround sound built in but that's easy to add as well. We actually like not having a ton of fancy upgrades. Ours is easy to maintain on our own. I do wish the original owner had upgraded to air leveling but we do fine with pour jacks
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #11

Gee, let's see, nope, the only thing I'm missing is those pesky monthly payments. LOL
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy older high quality coach vs a newer lesser quality coach. IMHO.

In each model line there will be design and appointment changes, sometimes reflected

As others have said, the electronics are improved but this can be be updated. Older engines will have less emission requirements, such as not needing DEF.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #13

The MH in my signature has served us well since we purchased it in 2013. When we bought it, with 23,6xx miles on odometer, we now have nearly 40,000 on it.
It has factory surround-sound with a 2,000W amplifier, and a switch to play the TV, radio, or CD's through the system.
I swapped out the CRT's for LED TV's, is the only modification I've made.
I did replace the OEM remote door lock unit last year, not a hard job, just time consuming in cramped quarters.(at least for my old bones) I replaced the plastic Stemco hubcaps 2 months ago due to age and becoming brittle @ $35 ea.
We have been throughout most of the lower 48 in the MH, and caravaned through the Candian Maritimes last year without any problems with the MH.
I
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe having to add DEF.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote