Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #1

Owning and using two different RV's

I just had a thought......Does anyone currently own/use two different RV's? ....perhaps for different purposes....
For example.....a 45' MH for extended travel and then a small TT or similar for local state parks, etc.
Just food for thought..........I'm trying to come up with a length that may be the most accommodating for all situations.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #2

Why stop at just two?

Old 09-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #3

I've own a 1998 28' Class A and as we were nearing retirement we bought a. 20' Class B. we kept the Class A because in the RV market it's probably not with much even though its like brand new kept in a Garage. We have taken 3 big trips in the Class B including a 10 week Alaska vacation. For traveling , sightseeing , being able to park and pull over anywhere at a moments notice is priceless. We instantly adapted to the smaller confines and love traveling in it. We really liked it at the gas pumps too. Granted its not for everybody but Photography is my hobby and being able to stop, turn around etc really sealed the deal for me. We still use the Class A when going somewhere to stay for longer.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtales View Post
I just had a thought......Does anyone currently own/use two different RV's? ....perhaps for different purposes....
Yes, I have 3 RV's that I use for different purposes. My 36 ft class A MH which is my primary RV for extended trips. My 39 ft Teton 5th wheel, and HDT to haul it, were bought when I was fulltiming and used mostly when parked for months at a time during winter trips to the south. Now that I no longer fulltime, its mostly used as guest sleeping quarters at my winter ranch. The newest RV in my garage is a Raptor toyhauler used for trips involving the ATV's and/or Harley.
I seem to have a thing for 3's, I also have 3 homes and 3 trucks, but thankfully only 1 Ex.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #5

Thanks, TdogKing. Maybe the idea is not so crazy afterall. I suspect there may be many others who are doing the same for a variety of reasons.
Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #6

I have my 5th wheel for my wife and I and a 24 foot pull trailer for hunting,keep it in the high country.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post

Yes, I have 3 RV's that I use for different purposes. My 36 ft class A MH which is my primary RV for extended trips. My 39 ft Teton 5th wheel, and HDT to haul it, were bought when I was fulltiming and used mostly when parked for months at a time during winter trips to the south. Now that I no longer fulltime, its mostly used as guest sleeping quarters at my winter ranch. The newest RV in my garage is a Raptor toyhauler used for trips involving the ATV's and/or Harley.
I seem to have a thing for 3's, I also have 3 homes and 3 trucks, but thankfully only 1 Ex.
HOW do you have 3 homes and 3 trucks WITH one EX. You got lucky........... J/k Lol
Old 09-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #8

There was a travel blog a few years ago from a family doing a multi year travel through North, Central and South America. They actually towed a Class C, I think, behind a big DP. They would use the C for extra living space sometimes, and when they went to Central and South America, they stored the A and took the C. I guess if you have the means, you can do anything that makes sense to you.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #9

I recently upgraded from a 2002 Terra 31H to a 2004 Seabreeze 8321LX. Most of my RV trips are offroading in the Mojave desert. I was unwilling to expose the Seabreeze to the same harsh conditions as the Terra, so I bought a cheap toyhauler. So far, the plan is working.
rlancast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #10

Ran across some folks this past weekend who had a motor home but also had a Casita travel trailer. Sounded as though they used the Casita more than the motor home.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #11

We did that, a 30' TT and a 27' class C. Pain in the posterior.

We were traveling and found a CG we liked a lot but the class C was a bit small; a buddy made us a great deal on the TT. The idea was to use the TT as a home base.

That worked fine until the CG went south. We're in Florida in the class C, the TT is in Tennessee in mid-winter in snow and ice and no way we can tow it anywhere and no way our buddy can do it safely. So we spent some time telling ourselves that a potential $5,000 loss was neglible.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For years I had a class A and class C. The C was the hunting/fishing rig and the A was the Summer resort and travel rig. When I became a Winter Texan bought a 5th wheel for travel and winter, and a Truck Camper for hunt/fish. I have now retired from hunting and just have the class A for travel. 2 homes WA & TX. As stated in another thread the MH is the CAT HOUSE!

Besides camping, what uses have you found for your motorhome?
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:35 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are currently looking into buying a small class C my wife could drive and that we could get into some small campgrounds in the Sierra mountains that are near us.

Actually looking at some of the old Toyota's with the 4 cylinder engine. We have room next to our house were we keep the 36 foot rig so it wouldn't be a problem storing it.

So your idea isn't too crazy. Or perhaps I'm crazy too.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #14

We own a 23 ft. Born Free Class C on a Ford 450 chassis and a V-10 gas engine. We also have a Lance 1191, slide-in camper on a Dodge 3500, DRW, 4X4 with the Cummins diesel. The rig we use at any given time is driven by what we intend to do.

If we want to be tourists and see the sights, attend events and just generally get away for relative short periods of time, we take the Class C. It's small size allows us to travel without the hassle of a toad and we get a respectable 10mpg. We've had no problems finding parking spaces in urban environments.

If we want to go fishing and tow our small Tracker boat, or travel in remote areas where we will probably boondock a lot, we take the Lance camper. It is equipped with remote controlled jacks so is easily removable from the truck, has an Onan LPG generator, slide-out, shower, satellite TV system, etc. We've taken it on trips to Alaska and Newfoundland. We have another trip to Alaska scheduled for next summer.

We love both of our rigs and enjoy the ability to make choices and tailor our mode of transportation to our travel purpose and destinations.

Tags
rvs