RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

pa class b license

can anyone tell me how hard it is to get a class b license in pa how hard is it are the questions hard any help would be great

kejy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #2

I got mine about a year ago. Here are the details.
#1. I went to Lancaster to get permit, talked to 2 different people and got 2 different sheets to fill out. Both were wrong.
#2. Went to reading, talked to two different people, again 2 different forms to fill out. Lucky the last one worked .
#3. Got permit, took test at Lancaster . I got the book to read and was confused what to study. At test, no questions were asked. Only a driving test of about 30 minutes around the area. You must have a class b or CDL licensed driver with you
when you go for the test. Talked to my road exam guy about the run around to get permit. He said since state police stopped
doing the testing the new people don't know much about a class b license.

Pain in the butt to get, but now I am legal. Good luck

gabeears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #3

Class B

I recently got my Class B in Md. I am a native Pennsylvanian however. I would not think there would be much difference. The law test was 20 multiple choice questions taken from the CDL study guide chapters 1,2,3 & 5 plus the air brake chapter if you have them. It wasn't hard but you need to read the book. The driving test was easier than I expected. The Pa MVA wed site should have plenty of info. I also visited Md MVA test site. Although no RV'rs were taking the driving test, it helped to see where I had to park and check in. I discovered that I needed the B license after upgrading to a DP this year and driving it for 6 months without it, "Trust Me" you will feel so much better having that endorsement on your license. Good Luck!
USNRET85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #4

It's too bad that the state can't get its act together and have a specific plan of action for issuing non-comm CDL's. Frankly I wish all states required some form of examination before a person gets behind the wheel of a mega monster with 600 hp. Comparing the CDL vs the non-com CDL, I wonder what they leave out?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:33 AM   #5

Pa Class B

I agree! The states should get there act together. I visited my local MVA to ask questions and couldn't get straight answers. The web site was certainly confusing. I called the State MVA - same thing! Couldn't get a person on the phone. Emailed the state 3 times before I got a reply to what I thought were simple questions. I took the Law test at my local MVA but had to take my walk around and driving test 40 miles away. I had a hard time finding someone with a CDL to accompany me to take my test. Yep, you need a CDL holder with you anytime your behind the wheel with only a learners permit. My previous class A MH was just under 26k. The dealers, the states and law enforcement all need to get up to speed as well. Do I think licensing is a good thing? Absolutely! That's why I worked so hard to get the answers.
USNRET85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #6

In Pa, and I presume all states, you need a current physical card to hold a CDL, so that is one of the differences between non-cdl class B, and CDL.
A CDL class A allows for tractor trailer, and then you need added endorsements for has-mat, tanker, or doubles. Each requiring more written test.

Cant remember exactly when, but about 25 years ago when new laws were passed, all CDL license holders were required to take a written test to keep your license.
I needed class A , with air brake and tank endorsement. Seems like it was around 90 questions total. I am sure things have changed since then.

It should be mandatory for RV dealers to provide buyers with a copy of the law requiring a non cdl class B. Also , as a courtesy, where and how to obtain it.
It would seem to me that possibly some of the larger RV dealers could offer that service ? Not saying it needs to be supplied by them for free, but it is a needed service, and mostly needed for the RV's they sell.
Boyd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
PA Class B License

Took the test a couple years back. Like everyone else DMV had no idea what was required. Called three different locations and received three different answers even a friend of mine who was a State Trooper did not know about the requirment. Finally went and applied for paid a fee and received the permit. After a week I scheduled the test at a facility that handled CDL testing. Was told to bring someone with a Class B license or higher with me to the test. Showed up with a friend with a CDL license. No written test only a driving test. That's it 45 min. Later walked out with the required Class B license. Easy Peezy.

fbanko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class b