Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 10:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedarock View Post
================================================

This is an excerpt from PA Title 75, Chapter 15...

...(b) Learner must be accompanied.--A learner's permit entitles the person to whom it was issued to drive vehicles and combinations of vehicles of the class or classes specified, but only while the holder of the learner's permit is accompanied by and under the immediate supervision of a person who:
(1) is at least 21 years of age or, if the spouse of the learner's permit holder, is at least 18 years of age; or, if a parent, guardian or person in loco parentis of the learner's permit holder, is at least 18 years of age;
(2) is licensed to drive vehicles of the class then being driven by the holder of the learner's permit; and
(3) is actually occupying a seat beside the holder of the learner's permit unless the vehicle is a motorcycle.

I'm proceeding assuming the worst case scenario is true; ie, you need a licensed driver with you in order to drive and to take the test. Does anyone know (aside from the obvious suggestions; please spare us) how to go about finding someone who is licensed and can be available on the arbitrary date the DMV sets for the driving test? Also, what happens if you show up for the test without a licensed buddy?

Joe
Joe,

I was informed by PennDot that I DID NOT need to have anyone accompany me. Alone, I took the test about 18 months ago. A few basic air brake system questions, in a large parking area I had to do a basic and simple parallel park and a back up test between cones. Short test drive eon local roads and done!
Most difficult portion was helping PennDot provide the correct permit and then scheduling a test which took many, many weeks. I tested in Hazelton.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Joopy,

I've heard others say that, but the dilemma is, "what if you fail the test" ? Will they let you drive off unaccomlanied in violation of the law, or will they require you to find alternative tramsportation? Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding and misinformation being diseminated by DMV, so I feel compelled to probe deeply.

Joe
Joedarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Joopy,

I've heard others say that, but the dilemma is, "what if you fail the test" ? Will they let you drive off unaccomlanied in violation of the law, or will they require you to find alternative tramsportation? Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding and misinformation being diseminated by DMV, so I feel compelled to probe deeply.

Joe

I took the driving test and passed cuz I studied and practiced the maneuvering techniques in the CDL manual.
It ain't a difficult test. Just don't hit anything.
Happy Trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Joopy,

Joe
Joe,
If you fail you still have a learners permit which is still valid for driving. As CAMPDAVEN mentioned, it honestly isn't that tough if you spend a little time studying and comprehending the air brake section in the CDL manual.

Go for it

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:32 AM   #19

The issue isn't the difficulty of the test. The issue is the legality of driving there unaccompanied with just a learners permt.

Read the rules above again.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:17 AM   #20

PA Drivers License Non-Comercial "B" Test

I drove to the Hazleton office for the test. Had called ahead to let them know when I would be there. No long lines. Tested, passed, and drove home.
Nobody questioned how I got there.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:39 AM   #21

CampDaven

This gets back to my point, which seems to have been missed:

What if you had been stopped driving to the the test center illegally on a learner's permit with no accompanying licensed driver? What if you had failed the test; would they let you drive back? Which all goes back to my original question: How do you find a licensed buddy to drive with you on an hours-long outing on an arbitrary date/time in the distant future which is set in stone by DMV?
Old 10-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #22

PA Drivers License Non-Comercial "B" Test

I simply took the chance.
Read the test manual. Know how to buttonhook turn. Know the air brake stuff, practice until you can drive confidently, then drive the easy test course.
I bought it in AZ, and drove it to PA. It was good practice.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I took the driving test and passed cuz I studied and practiced the maneuvering techniques in the CDL manual.
It ain't a difficult test. Just don't hit anything.
Happy Trails

campdaven where did you take your test?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 10-14-2016, 03:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
campdaven where did you take your test?

Didn't read far enough down, I need to get one in NorCal. Anyone taken the test?