Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
I understand that. However the OP
was being limited to a supply that was insufficient to cover his travel plans. That is a problem regardless of what the drug is.
The thing is.... opiods are always limited. It's not due to a pharmacy error or VA error or shipping error. It's due to new regulations.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The thing is.... opiods are always limited. It's not due to a pharmacy error or VA error or shipping error. It's due to new regulations.
In my case the VA only would issue a two week supply.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Hammer
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #46

My wife is on methodone we are from TX and had to find a local pain clinic to get pres filled while in Utah was no real hassle
MikeMerru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #47

I face the same predicament and have applied for and recently received my Maryland certification for medical marijuana. I’ve researched it for years on end and it it so much better for me than opioids! Plus, I can get it and then get more in many many states! The only thing I’ve found that we as RVers have to beware of is that because the fed does not agree with it, crossing any state lines with it in your possession is a federal crime. I forget exactly what it’s titled but it’s basically considered trafficking or smuggling! Crazy!
Scott n Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #48

Quote:
Opiods? Recently?
I don't believe you will get opioid refills beyond 90 days max.
Joneshd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #49
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Any medication, whether it be Opoids or just plain old medicine that defines the quality of life, is a problem for some who are traveling. My posts do not pertain to Opoids but to all other non-opoid medications. We have beaten the Opoid not available except for a 30 day at a time prescription which requires in person screening.

DW uses a facility other than the VA. She does not get "maintenance" supplies but rather order the medication as we travel. She is able to give a temporary location for the mail to be delivered.

I on the other hand, will get a 4 to 5 month supply of all my medications by visiting the VA with a list of my medications, how many of each I have on-hand, and how many more I will need to sustain me through my travels. So far in the last 10 years of extensive travel I have had no problem with maintenance supplies. No Opoids.

Just saying.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #50

Last month I asked my pharmacy how I can get my meds "on the road" The answer was if you are registered with a national company (I am with Rite Aid), just go to a Rite Aid location and it is the same as going to my local location.
Ken
Hetken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #51
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
With the opioid epidemic it is hard to get pain meds even at home. It's nearly impossible to get them filled on the road. It sucks having to plan trips around medication refills! And pretty much limits trips to under 30 days. Just complaining I guess. Anyone else have to schedule travel around medication?
I sympathize with your pain and inability to acquire more than a 30 day supply of medications. When it comes to Opoids federal regulations are what the medical professionals have to adhere to. Unless someone can change the federal laws, those on Opoids are left out in the woods.

A few have posted how they are also trapped in the mire and have to plan their travels around the 30 day time frame.

It's the nature of the Governement, or bureaucracy if you wish.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #52

Use Walmart, CVS , Albertsons or any of the national chains as they can follow you. Our plan lets us get 90 day supply.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:24 PM   #53

Pain meds on the road

I would suggest you meet with your doctor again before the trip. Possibly he/she would be willing to give you a couple postdated, hand written scripts to take with you to be filled as needed. It sounds as if you have had these issues for some time so the doctor must know that you are not abusing the pain meds. Or you can usually get a 90 days supply for vacation with other drugs but not sure about pain meds. Possibly you could take your medical records & a letter from your doctor & go to an ER to have them issue a scrip for another 30 day supply? Not sure if that is feasible but would seem your doctor should have some options available for you.
jkkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #54

Most states now will only allow a doctor to prescribe opioids for a 30 day supply with no refills and only can they be filled in the states that they are licenced in..
j35bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #55

A classic over-reaction by our politicians. I have spinal stenosis and have had my right knee replaced twice. I use to take Tramadol periodically to help deal with the pain. When I went in for my last physical, my doc asked if I wanted a script for some since it had been awhile since I have had one filled. I said yes, and he comes back in with a six page pain agreement for me to sign. This “pain agreement” said I would be subject to drug testing, pill counts, and a bunch of other B.S..
I refused to sign it and left their “pain agreement on the desk.
I’ve since learned that there are multiple class action lawsuits being filed to fight this..
Okcmike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Here's another vote for medical cannabis. I've had chronic daily migraine for 27 years now. I've tried everything. I've used hydrocodone, oxycontin, demeral, and was on fentanyl patches for about 4 years. As time went by (as with all opioids) they got less effective. My doctor finally slowly worked me off of them, because long term they were just not effective and the side effects were truly miserable. I live in a medical marijuana state. I've found it is just as effective as opioids with much fewer side effects. And I haven't found that it gets less effective with use over time. I know some people are opposed to cannabis, but used as medication it does what other pain meds does - it does not stop the pain, it just gives your brain something else to focus on. Since the OP lives in CA, I'd suggest you at least try it if at all possible. (I know it is not possible for people going to the VA) You may find an easier path, and I have found that traveling, it is much easier to access than opioids.
fxblf is offline   Reply With Quote