Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

Paint coating

When I bought my used RV they also sold us a sealant called extreme Pro Tec. It was $1200 and I can find NOTHING on the internet about this stuff. Did I get ripped and since I purchased from Camper World, do I have any recourse ?
tfl9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfl9211 View Post
When I bought my used RV they also sold us a sealant called extreme Pro Tec. It was $1200 and I can find NOTHING on the internet about this stuff. Did I get ripped and since I purchased from Camper World, do I have any recourse ?
tfl9211
Here's a thread on another forum about "Extreme ProTec".
Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Dealer wants to apply Extreme ProTec on Paint

That question should have been asked before you paid out $1200.
IMO, since you bought and paid for it at Camper World, you have no recourse.

BTW, even at a reputable dealer, I don't think you would have any recourse....(but then, a reputable dealer probably would not have sold you on the idea in the first place).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome! Since you have already bought the RV, I'm thinking that the time for "recourse" is past. When we bought our Bounder we were told that the paint protector stuff had been applied; when I balked at paying $1200 for something we didn't ask for, they "cut us a deal" for $300. Knowing what I know now, we would not pay that again--though whatever they put on our RV has a 5-year warranty (against what, I'm not sure ). Hopefully it will keep the paint finish from fading.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #4

$1200 will get your new rig washed and waxed about 10 times. So twice a year for 5 years covers that... if you pay someone else.
All it is, is a silicone based spray wax. Pretty much like RainX or any other instant spray on detailer.
Tell him to do it for free, and you'll pay him in 5 years if it works.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you are purchasing a paint protection program, you are purchasing a warranty. In reality it doesn't matter if they put a wax on the coach or a layer of chicken fat. Its not the wax your paying for, its the warranty. Most protect against chalking, fading, acid rain bird droppings ect. If you see value in it purchase it, if you think its snakeoil then stay away. The warranty will pay for environmental damage to the paint. Just had to repaint a hood on a brand new car in my inventory due to bird droppings etching a nice pattern in the hood. On motorhomes there are really no horizontal painted surfaces to be damaged by things falling on them (bird droppings ect.) Not worth it on the motorhome in my opinion.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #6

"ADP" Added Dealer Profit.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think mojoracing pretty well nailed it. You got what you paid for - some kind of protection for the finish that may be little more than a coat of wax and [likely] a vague promise to do something about it if you aren't satisfied with the shine within a 5 year period. You paid way too much for it, but there is nothing in civil or criminal law about prices having to be a good value. You apparently thought it was a reasonable thing when you bought it, so it's a little late to complain about the price (buyer's remorse). About the only thing you would have recourse for is if the "paint protection" doesn't in fact keep the finish OK in the promised time period AND the dealer refuses to do anything about it. Since the paint would almost surely last 5 years even if nothing was put on it, you aren't likely to have a viable claim anyway.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Since the paint would almost surely last 5 years even if nothing was put on it, you aren't likely to have a viable claim anyway.
The 3 color body paint on my coach has lasted 17 years with only 2 applications of Protect All and 16 wash jobs.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Mine is 4-color and 10 years old and has likewise survived well. Looks like new with just regular washes and a coat of Protect-all every spring.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #10

Do you like the rig? Does it shine? It is not the first pile of cash you are going to lay out. Forget it and move on.

Tags
paint