Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Paint or Vinyl Wrap Old RV

So I bought this older RV, (see pic to left) but would like to update the outside look. Has anyone had any experience with Painting or Vinyl Wrapping an old RV?

ErikDaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
Vinyl wraps only last a few years before they fade from exposure to the sun and weather. Painting is the better choice in the long run.

92' Holiday Rambler 1000
The wife, me and two furry kids
If you have it, a truck brought it.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
As stated above, Wraps are vinyl and in the southern states they may look nice for 2 yrs but will begin to crack and peel soon after. Metal, fiberclass, aluminum and vinyl all expand and contract differently. Paint with clear coat will last far longer.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
If painting make sure to sand prior. Our friends didn't and now their paint is peeling off. We sanded and then used an oil based prior with latex paint over that and so far so good!
steph1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
For painting, use some primer first, it makes a difference! There are some really good primers out there, one I've used recently is Zinsser's Bullseye primer, used it on our houseboat before painting with Sherwyn-Williams industrial enamel. It sticks like glue, and paint sticks to IT like glue. And for that matter I have nothing but good to say about the Sherwyn-Williams paint we used. I sprayed it on our steel hull, and rolled it on the sides of the boat. Even the rolled paint flowed out so smooth it looks like it was sprayed on. Good stuff!
2000 40' Tiffin Allegro Bus \ 2003 Chaparral 260 SSI
1988 53 x 14 Skipperliner \ 1995 32' Party Cruiser
1984 Goldwing Aspencade \ 1976 Harley Sportster
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
Thumbs up

Good advice! Thanks.

Anyone have any pictures to post of paint jobs they have done?

I am working in Photoshop to come up with a design like the new RV's have.

Would love see some neat designs.
ErikDaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
I can't really see in the pics but is that an Allegro 35? We have a 1989 Allegro 35 that I just painted with Sherwin Williams Dimension 4 paint right in my driveway. I will try and post some pics here for ya. No bragging but it looks like a pro job. I used 31/2 gallons of paint and a gallon and 1 qt of clearcoat. No prime paint required. Cleaned it with TST cleaner first and thats it.
Mduell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
painted graphics

Hi Follow this link RV Paint and Comestic Repair
We found these people when looking for new paint for our Rv they are awesome.
They have a huge gallery of samples and ideas you can visit in there web site.
They gave us a price to remove all our old vinyl graphics and paint them back on using top quiality materials for $2,500

I know this to be a good price as I have rebuilt and restored many cars and hotrods over the years.

Love your classic RV im sure you will enjoy it.

Rusty & Kelly
2000 Bounder 43ft >silverado 1500 toad
honkytonkinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club
Dimension $4 paint

Here some paint pics. Still have side design to paint on, and all trim was replaced. final pics will be posted soon....
Attached Images
Mduell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
A painter friend of mine painted my old 93 Bounder for me about 10 years ago and it still looks good today. He removed the old stripes first, then applied a sealer, then primer, and finally a base and clear coat. As said above, sanding is important (400 or finer grit). You can also scuff it up with a 3M type scuffy pad. Wipe everything down with cleaner to get the surface ready for paint. BTW, if you do the paint yourself you need a compressor that can keep up with the paint gun's cfm requirement, or use and electric spray gun.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Good info here - thanks all!
1987 Fleetwood Bounder
- Chevy 454 V8
- Chevy P30 Chassis
87bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
1. remove any easily removable parts, trim pieces etc.
2. tape the remaining obstacles that shouldn't be painted
3. Prep surface by sanding thoroughly with an 800grit wet send until all surfaces to be painted have lost any hint of shine to them. Clean with wax/grease remover (prep-sol). Tack Cloth entire surface.
4. Spray primer - repeat steps 1-3
5. Spray base coat, 3 coats waiting 20 minutes in between.
6. after base coat dries, tape off new graphics using a low tack automotive masking tape and then mask off any other surfaces not to be painted.
7. Spray graphics, 3 coats waiting 20 minutes between each.
8. After graphics have dried, unmask graphics and surrounding areas.
9. Clean entire surface with wax/grease remover and then tack cloth again
10. Shoot clear coat - 3 coats consisting of a tack coat, followed by two wet coats, again approximately 20 minutes in between each depending on the clear coat used (consult your paint supplier for specifics.
11. Wet sand entire surface using first a 1000, then 1500, then 2000 grit.
12. buff entire surface using a high speed buffer and 3m polishing compound.
13. Wash/Wax entire RV 30 days after step 12.

This pretty much gives you the complete overview.
Network Engineer/Airbrush Artist in Tampa, FL
2006 Pilgrim Open Road 357RL & 1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
airbrushguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
When I looked into getting a small Chevy Astro van vinyl wrapped for my business the cost was $4,000. they told me 6 years lifespan, I can't imagine the cost for a coach. A very good friend who paints cars said he would paint my 34' for $1,000. shops that do full body paint seem to average around $6/10K. we have a great shop up in the corner of my state next door to Tiffin/Allegro, Red Bay Body Shop & Motorhome Repair - Red Bay, Alabama
The main problem I see is over the years people would use silicone to seal up window frames and seams, all that stuff has to come off for paint to stick well, the prep work is the hardest part, and finding a place to park it while painting.
I wanted a 6" orange stripe around my coach, one vinyl shop said $375. and another $850. I thought they were nuts, it's just a small stripe, so I bought a 150' roll of orange vinyl online for $63. and did it myself, have a bunch leftover but still saved a lot.
Airbrushguy has it covered very well in his post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9666.JPG
Views:	1100
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	38978  
1990 34' Hawkins Motor Coach, Oshkosh/460 Ford EFI. '97 Subaru Impreza 5 speed towd, NorthEast Alabama.
Manuel B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
iRV2 No Limits Club
Question for Manuel B....
You said "so I bought a 150' roll of orange vinyl online for $63. and did it myself".

Could you outline the procedure you used?
Such as type of vinyl and source, as well adhesive?

That looks good.

We are K&K for Kathy & Ken - Both retired.
She accounting, he Law Enforcement
Oldme is offline   Reply With Quote