Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph1217 View Post
... couldn't find any other solid colored fabric to pair with my patterned Roman shades at any fabric stores (sometimes they just suck!).
Steph ~ What do you mean by the above statement? Do you not like the fabric you used on the roman shades or is it something else? I agree with your thoughts regarding solid color fabric on the sides of the slide and some kind of print for the top of the slide. We love the look of the wood on your slide so we're also considering installing wood rather than reupholstering the existing fabric sides but I think the fabric would be faster to install. I'd love to see some pics of the black incorporated into your MH.

TarheelGal ~ I agree with your comment regarding too much brown. Our MH has too much blue, the blue is EVERYWHERE! The MH companies definitely need to hire new, competent decorators to get rid of the brown/blue and other (in my opinion) hideous colors.

Rockman ~ great job on the cabinet handles/pulls! It's amazing what a little paint can do. I've removed all of the doors, drawers and all of the hardware and we have 47 pulls and 56 (28 sets) of hinges. I found a great place for replacements that I'm going to use because I don't like the pulls in our MH and not even spray paint will correct how I feel about them! The website is ~ Cabinet Hardware, Kitchen Cabinet Pulls, Knobs & Hinges - PullsDirect.com

Here are our current ugly discolored brass pulls (3" center to center) ~

This is what I'm going to order as replacement pulls. They are also 3" center to center but the overall length is 6" ~

I went shopping for fabric again yesterday (and will go again today). I found several that I like but haven't yet purchased anything. JoAnn currently has 50% all Waverly fabrics and Hancock has all upholstery fabric on sale until the 20th (I believe it's 40% off).

I found the following two fabrics online ~

Thanks everyone for your input. Please keep the posts/ideas/photos coming!!

Happy Sunday everyone!

Gina in Dallas

Gigi817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #16

Hi Gina,

I absolutely LOVE both those fabrics. Such modern designs and they look great together!

I also agree with you replacing the pulls. That older style is very dated. We had them (in plastic) in a house we built in 1989. You're right that sometimes replacement is the best option, depending on the style. Really like the ones you're going to replace them with.

This thread has got me kinda gung-ho about buying an older BROWN interior MH just so I can renovate and decorate! DH is not going to like that -- he'd probably rather buy newer (and they're still flippin' brown inside! ) for the mechanical aspects, but I would feel kinda funny buying newer and then ripping a bunch of stuff out, not to mention that buying newer would eat up our budget. We'll see...

Cheers,
Emily

Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #17

I really like the upgrades everybody is doing to your RV's. I would like to change the color of my cabinets also but I don't think I am up for that. I found a web site where this person put Briwax on there cabinets to darken them. I can't see how it would penetrate finished wood but it may be worth a try. I will try and post a link.A Stroll Thru Life: Dark Paste Wax-Questions Answered
Old 02-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #18

Rockman- Great job on your hardware! I just bought my hardware from Home Depot, we had about 50 knobs and 50 pulls! We did spray recessed lighting, fireplace trim, and shower trim though!

Gigi- I'm adding some photos! Excuse the ugly brown foam sack, my hubby decided he wanted one for gaming and put it on the RV. I told him it was ugly and why did we renovate it to put stuff like that in it!! I lost the battle as you can see, so our nice pretty leather recliners are currently in storage I put black with it because our back wall is full of windows, three right next to each other. It didn't even occur to me that it would be too much design in one space until I started hanging the curtains up! So I wanted to put a solid color next to it but couldn't match any of the other colors in the curtain. So black it was! I also put up a pic of our appliances so you can see the black sort of goes since we replaced our fridge with a black one! I didn't even think about us having the wood on the slide outs until you pointed it out lol I guess I'm just so used to it! But looking at it now I do really like it! And I LOVE the green and black fabric very modern!! I think I saw that at Joanns too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	499.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	33308   Click image for larger version

Name:	501.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	33309  

Click image for larger version

Name:	504.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	33310  
Old 02-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Steph ~ Thanks for sharing the additional pictures! I love the black accents you added, including the new refrigerator. The black ties all of the areas of your MH together.

Emily ~ I hope you're able to get a MH soon so you can freshen/renovate and remove the brown! I'm really enjoying the renovation process including some of the stress of attempting to pick out fabrics/paint colors. Make sure you post lots of before/during/after pics of your renovation.

Rockman ~ I love the look of the cabinets after the Briwax was applied. The cabinets shown in the blog post have a nice sheen/glow to them. Our doors and drawers are wood but the cabinet carcasses are covered in fake oak "stuff" (not sure what the printed oak looking overlay is called) and that's why I've decided to paint all of the cabinets, drawers and cabinet carcasses white. You are fortunate that your cabinet pulls are a good design and could be painted. Ours are just ugly!!

I went to Hancock and JoAnn's again yesterday (Sunday, 2/10/13). Here are my selections for the top portion of the slide (the sides will be done in solid black). I've selected the fabrics below because they are a heavier weight fabric which I think will work better than a lighter weight fabric. The fabric will span the top of the slide and be 12 feet 6 inches long and approximately 7 inches wide. I will not be reinstalling the wooden accent piece which, by the way, also has blue on it (two blue metal pieces running through it ~ see picture previously posted). Thoughts on fabric selection?

Selection 1

Selection 2

Selection 3

Selection 4

Selection 5

Have a great week!

Gina
Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman1 View Post
I really like the upgrades everybody is doing to your RV's. I would like to change the color of my cabinets also but I don't think I am up for that. I found a web site where this person put Briwax on there cabinets to darken them. I can't see how it would penetrate finished wood but it may be worth a try. I will try and post a link.A Stroll Thru Life: Dark Paste Wax-Questions Answered
Wow, that looks really good -- who woulda thunk it. I have a feeling it doesn't actually penetrate through the finish but just sits on top of it, darkening ever so slightly and adding shine. This is a great idea for older, light cabinets that need refreshing, I think. Thanks for posting!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi817 View Post
Emily ~ I hope you're able to get a MH soon so you can freshen/renovate and remove the brown! I'm really enjoying the renovation process including some of the stress of attempting to pick out fabrics/paint colors. Make sure you post lots of before/during/after pics of your renovation.
I went to Hancock and JoAnn's again yesterday (Sunday, 2/10/13). Here are my selections for the top portion of the slide (the sides will be done in solid black). I've selected the fabrics below because they are a heavier weight fabric which I think will work better than a lighter weight fabric. The fabric will span the top of the slide and be 12 feet 6 inches long and approximately 7 inches wide. I will not be reinstalling the wooden accent piece which, by the way, also has blue on it (two blue metal pieces running through it ~ see picture previously posted). Thoughts on fabric selection?
Gina -- assuming we do buy an older MH, I will definitely do that. I showed my DH this thread yesterday, and he didn't freak out, so that's step #1, right? He doesn't want to buy another sticks & bricks home for many more years for a variety of reasons, so he has to let me have some fun since I won't have a home to decorate!

As for your fabrics, I immediately gravitated towards #1 or #2 for the use you mentioned. #4 kinda made me dizzy, and the #3 and #5 are just not as appealing/interesting to me. Are you still thinking about using the pretty white/green dandelion fabric you posted before somewhere? I am in love with that one, but it wouldn't be right for this top valance (or whatever). Better for pillows or some other accent, I think. I also love the geometric black/white/green you posted along with the dandelion fabric -- that would be nice for this top area as well, I think!

Can't wait to see what you end up with. What fun!

Emily
Old 02-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
This is what I'm going to order as replacement pulls. They are also 3" center to center but the overall length is 6" ~

Those are nice looking pulls. I wouldn't be able to use them in my MH because I'm a klutz and I'd be catching my clothes on them all day long.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
RedWing Nut ~ I had not thought about catching my clothing on the pulls but I can certainly see that happen. As I sometimes say when I wear high heel shoes ~ fashion over function!

Emily ~ Thanks for your thoughts. I agree 100%. I'm leaning toward #2 for the top of the slide as it is so elegant looking in person and the fabric weight I what I want/need. I'm definitely going to use the green dandelion fabric as I absolutely love it! I'll make some pillows with it and possible use it to cover the seats on the dining chairs. I'm thinking about using the geometric fabric with a solid black border for the window coverings in the living/dining room. I'm hoping it won't be too busy of a pattern for the roman shades I'm going to make. The fabric is 54" wide and the largest window is the one by the dining table (58" wide) and the window above the sofa is 54" wide. I don't want a seam in the center of the roman shade so I'll add black fabric (a few inches wide) around the outside of the fabric. I hope what I'm envisioning in my mind looks good once complete.

I found tile for the kitchen back splash at Costco. It was approximately $26.00 per box and each box contains 5 tiles/5 square foot total ($5.20 per tile/square foot). I found a similar tile at Lowe's for almost $12.00 per tile/square foot!

Gina
Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Emily ~ Thanks for your thoughts. I agree 100%. I'm leaning toward #2 for the top of the slide as it is so elegant looking in person and the fabric weight I what I want/need. I'm definitely going to use the green dandelion fabric as I absolutely love it! I'll make some pillows with it and possible use it to cover the seats on the dining chairs. I'm thinking about using the geometric fabric with a solid black border for the window coverings in the living/dining room. I'm hoping it won't be too busy of a pattern for the roman shades I'm going to make. The fabric is 54" wide and the largest window is the one by the dining table (58" wide) and the window above the sofa is 54" wide. I don't want a seam in the center of the roman shade so I'll add black fabric (a few inches wide) around the outside of the fabric. I hope what I'm envisioning in my mind looks good once complete.

I found tile for the kitchen back splash at Costco. It was approximately $26.00 per box and each box contains 5 tiles/5 square foot total ($5.20 per tile/square foot). I found a similar tile at Lowe's for almost $12.00 per tile/square foot!
Love the backsplash tile! Everyone is using that skinny tile now for
backsplashes. I really like it. Interesting how the designers keep coming up with new ideas to keep things fresh. In 20-30 years, that tile will look dated just like we think things from the '80s and '90s look dated now!

All your fabric choices are great. I can't wait to see photos of the finished product. Love fabric #2; it's really unique and modern. And heavy is important for any kind of upholstery, of course.

It's great that you can do all the work yourself! What a savings that will be.

Thanks for sharing with us. I'm having fun following along!

Emily
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Here is another possibility for the fabric for the top portion of the slide ~

Selection 6 (Houndstooth)

This swatch of fabric is on the color board I posted earlier (page 1). We're SEC football fans and my DH, Jay, and Bear Bryant are cousins (Jay's great grandmother and Bear's grandmother were sisters) and Bear is remembered for the houndstooth hat he wore (and also his great coaching ability!).

I'm still wavering on which fabric to select for the top of the slide. I need to make a decision within the next week or so so I can purchase a fabric while Hancock and JoAnns are both having great sales.

Emily ~ I agree, everything I'm selecting now that is "in style" will be, I'm sure, very dated in 20-30 years. Brass lighting fixtures, brass faucets and shower surrounds and mauves, blues and greens were in style in the early to mid-90's and now they're all very dated.

Thanks for your input/thoughts/comments!

Gina
Old 02-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Sherwin Williams paint sale through February 25, 2013

I just looked at SW's FB page and SW is having a 25% off sale from February 7 through February, 25, 2013. I was hoping for 40% off (as they've offered previous holiday weekends) but I'll take any discount I can get since I have LOTS of painting to do before spring break!

Here is a link to the coupon that must be printed and presented to receive the discount ~

Sherwin-Williams Coupons and Sales. Print a Coupon and Save Today.

Happy painting!!

Gina
Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #27

Great find on the backsplash we paid $13 about $250 for the whole area. We got a GREAT deal on the fabric at Joanns, they were have a sale of 50% off plus an additional 30% off home decor fabrics (ours is waverly) so we saved literally 100's of dollars on it. I had never used fabric before so I ordered 20 something yards I have probably half of it left... I way over estimated! But with the deal that was going on I didn't want to have to order any when it wasn't on sale! $30+ a yard to $10 a yard was too great to pass up! We also bought our paint on labor day I think it was last year and SW paint was 40% off!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Gina
I saw that at the Costco also. Wife didn't like the colors...Darnit....