Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Costco has great prices but the styles and colors are limited. Here are the two tile styles currently available at our local Costco ~

There is an * in the upper right hand corner of the price card which means that this is an item that Costco will no longer carry after the current inventory is depleted. The price per square foot is $4.99 (not $5.20 as I stated earlier). I wanted something neutral so the Casablanca White works for us. Funrover, I hope you and your wife are able to find a tile you both like at a great price!

Gina

Gigi817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi817 View Post
Here is another possibility for the fabric for the top portion of the slide ~

Selection 6 (Houndstooth)

This swatch of fabric is on the color board I posted earlier (page 1). We're SEC football fans and my DH, Jay, and Bear Bryant are cousins (Jay's great grandmother and Bear's grandmother were sisters) and Bear is remembered for the houndstooth hat he wore (and also his great coaching ability!).

I'm still wavering on which fabric to select for the top of the slide. I need to make a decision within the next week or so so I can purchase a fabric while Hancock and JoAnns are both having great sales.

Emily ~ I agree, everything I'm selecting now that is "in style" will be, I'm sure, very dated in 20-30 years. Brass lighting fixtures, brass faucets and shower surrounds and mauves, blues and greens were in style in the early to mid-90's and now they're all very dated.

Thanks for your input/thoughts/comments!

Gina
I like the houndstooth as well. Maybe that would be better since you're still planning to use the green/white dandelion fabric. The #2 fabric above also has kind of a flower motif, and maybe that is too much of that?

That's great that you got those tiles for such a fantastic price!

Yes, I certainly remember when brass was all the rage! I was SO excited when we bought a house with brass chandeliers and bathroom fixtures in the '90s. I felt like we'd really "arrived". I got tired of it fast. By our next house (2000), which we built so got to pick everything ourselves, I didn't have a trace of brass in it! Our very first house in 1985, I chose mauve carpeting for the upstairs! And the next house we built in 1989, I picked out pickled oak floors! It's fascinating to watch the styles change over the decades, especially for someone like me who has always loved home decorating.

Emily

Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi817
Costco has great prices but the styles and colors are limited. Here are the two tile styles currently available at our local Costco ~

There is an * in the upper right hand corner of the price card which means that this is an item that Costco will no longer carry after the current inventory is depleted. The price per square foot is $4.99 (not $5.20 as I stated earlier). I wanted something neutral so the Casablanca White works for us. Funrover, I hope you and your wife are able to find a tile you both like at a great price!

Gina
How did you stick the tile to the wall?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #32

Oh... and one more question... how heavy is this stuff. Is it real cut glass (heavy) or some sort of lighter plastic?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #33

This is the tile I installed from HD. It was $4.99 for one sheet. I think it was a 12x12 sheet. To install the tiles to the walls I got Bondera from Lowes. I found this was a better than using thinset on rv walls.Shop BONDERA 12" x 10' Tile Mat Set Wall at Lowes.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Backsplash.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	33449  
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post

How did you stick the tile to the wall?
We sanded the wall and used a normal tile adhesive and then put grout on. Its stayed put so far
Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman1 View Post
This is the tile I installed from HD. It was $4.99 for one sheet. I think it was a 12x12 sheet. To install the tiles to the walls I got Bondera from Lowes. I found this was a better than using thinset on rv walls.Shop BONDERA 12" x 10' Tile Mat Set Wall at Lowes.com
That looks great, Rockman1!

Thanks for sharing the photo.

Emily
Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Rockman1 ~ Your tile looks fabulous! How did you handle going around the window frame? Can you post a picture with the blinds pulled up? The tiles I purchased at 1/4" thick and I'm concerned how they'll look around the window above the kitchen sink. The Bondera looks like a great product but the area I'm going to tile is fairly small so I don't believe the cost/benefit of that product works for us.

We purchased a foreclosed home in 2008. We got a great deal on it because the previous owners had trashed the house and it wasn't livable so we basically gutted the entire house, including the kitchen. When I put up the back splash in the kitchen I used a product in a tube and applied it to the back of the tiles with a caulk gun. I don't remember exactly what product I used but it was so simple to use. I will probably use the same technique when I apply the tiles in the MH. DH says there is a product that comes out of the tube white but dries clear. Because I'm using glass tiles this is the product I'll need to use.

vtwinwilly ~ The tiles are a little heavy. According to my postal scale one tile (12 x 12) weighs approximately 3 pounds 10 ounces.

TGIF everyone!!

Gina
Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #37

Emily and Gina thanks for you comments on my tile. Gina I will get a more detail picture of the window today. What I did around the window was, I removed the inner trim piece around the window, installed the tile and replaced the trim. My tile was glass tile and I think is was 1/4 in. and it worked fine.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelGal View Post
I like the houndstooth as well. Maybe that would be better since you're still planning to use the green/white dandelion fabric. The #2 fabric above also has kind of a flower motif, and maybe that is too much of that?
Emily ~ Thanks for your feedback re: the houndstooth fabric! You make an excellent point regarding too many flowers and different types of flowers in one area. I hadn't even thought about it that way but you're absolutely correct.

Rockman1 ~ Thanks for letting me know how you handled tiling around the window. I look forward to seeing the photo of the tile around your window.

Gina
Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #39

Gina...Here is a pic. with the blinds open...hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tile.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	33522  
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Rockman1 ~ Thank for the pic. Beautiful tiles and beautiful work on the tile installation!

I've been afraid to take the trim ring off the window above the kitchen sink for fear the window would fall out. Is there any risk of that happening? Did you have purchase longer screws to reattach the trim ring?

Gina
Old 02-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #41

I was also a little concerned about the window falling out, but figured the sealant holding the outside would hold the frame, which it did. I reused the same screws and they were long enough. I am just telling you how what I did, so use your own judgement on removing the window trim. Your situation may be different than mine.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #42

iRV2 No Limits Club
Putting some tape on the outside will ensure that the window won't fall out.