Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Putting some tape on the outside will ensure that the window won't fall out.
LadyFitz ~ Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely do this when it's time to install the back splash.

Rockman1 ~ Thanks for your input re: when you installed your back splash.

I've been out fabric shopping again ~ well, I guess it's fabric hunting because I haven't actually purchased any fabric yet. What are your thoughts on putting black on the two side panels and this fabric on the top panel (span of 12 ' 6")?

I've thought about putting the white all the way around the slide but I'm afraid the side panels could possibly get dirty/grungy with hands touching it. I still like the houndstooth for the top panel but can't decide which fabric to use.

I purchased paint today at Sherwin Williams. White for the cabinets and Melange Green and Exclusive Plum for the walls.

Have a great week!

Gina
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #44

I like that fabric too and think it would look good for the top. Definitely too risky to put anywhere that might get grubby, though!

Emily
TarheelGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #45

National RV Owners Club
I found a video on YouTube of a remodel of a class C. This RV had LOTS of pink that the owner did a great job of eliminating. Kudos to this couple on a job well done!

Motor Home Remodel.wmv - YouTube
Old 02-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #46

National RV Owners Club
I found a blog post regarding a MH renovation. I love what Lesli did in her renovation. Check out her blog at ~ RV REMODELS | Ideas for Remodeling or Redecorating Your RV or Motorhome.

One of the ideas I really like is the credenza she uses for her TV.

Lots of great ideas on this blog so be sure to check it out.

TGIF!

Gina
Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi817 View Post
I found a video on YouTube of a remodel of a class C. This RV had LOTS of pink that the owner did a great job of eliminating. Kudos to this couple on a job well done!

Motor Home Remodel.wmv - YouTube
Thanks Gigi! I watched the whole thing. I did not care for the colors or textures they chose (corduroy is HOT), and I would have changed out the brass pulls and old bathroom sink as well, but it was still interesting. And they did a LOT. I don't think my husband would be up for quite that big a project.

One thing I've been thinking about. As I look at used motorhomes for sale online (most by dealers, some by individuals), most look like the owners didn't change a THING from the original. I'm not looking older than 2000, though, so it may be that most people don't start redecorating until they are in a much older model. I'm wondering how much harder it might be to sell a redecorated, non-standard motorhome, especially using some of the more modern bright colors instead of the boring browns that most come with. I guess that's one reason to redecorate "boring" -- for resale.

I wonder if dealers will even accept creatively redecorated units on a trade? Any idea?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Emily ~

I also watched the entire YouTube video. I liked that they removed all of the pink but, like you, don't care for brown and I personally would not put those colors in our MH. I was impressed by their repair of all of the water damage/rotted wood and the way the ceiling looked after the repair. I agree about the pulls and sink. Those seemingly small changes make a HUGE impact on a renovation.

Here is another MH renovation I found online. I think it's very elegant looking but it's not my style (too brown!).

DIY Glam RV Remodel with Tufted Wall - Other Space Designs - Decorating Ideas - HGTV Rate My Space

I just found this bumper pull renovation done in white. I like this renovation but it's a little too white for my taste. I think it needs a punch of color somewhere (other than the dark floor and one pillow on the bed).

RV Reno - Other Space Designs - Decorating Ideas - HGTV Rate My Space

Here is another renovation (done by fellow Kansans). They use green (not a shade I prefer) but the color certainly pops. Personally, I would have painted the walls in the back room (with the map) some other color than white ~ maybe a lighter shade of the color used by the bed above the driver's area.

Trippin with Stanley » Blog Archive » Renovations Pt. 1

Trippin with Stanley » Blog Archive » Renovations Pt. 2

Regarding resale ~ I'm not sure how a renovation would affect the trade-in and/or resale value. We're not worried about resale/trade-in because we of course don't plan to sell/trade-in Dolly any time soon. We joke that we'll probably own her so long our kids will eventually inherit her! My thoughts regarding our remodel ~ the blue HAD to go and we want her to be a comfortable place to be while we own her.

While we were looking to purchase a MH I found a HGTV decorator renovated MH on eBay. I looked for it again today on eBay and couldn't find the listing. It was listed in late November/early December. I'll check my computer later today and see if I saved pictures of this remodel. I wish I would have watched that listing more closely to find out what it eventually sold for.

I'd love to hear from others that may have some insight on the resale/trade-in issues associated with renovations.

I'm off to work on Dolly. Happy Saturday everyone!

Gina
Old 02-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #49

Thanks for that site, Gigi. I absolutely LOVE her credenza. Her whole remodel is really my style.

I have bookmarked it to read thoroughly as I'm short on time at the moment.

Thanks!
Emily
Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #50

Quote:
Emily ~
Here is another MH renovation I found online. I think it's very elegant looking but it's not my style (too brown!).
I totally agree. It's gorgeous but way too formal and dark for me. Plus my DH would never, ever agree to anything like this, since it's very feminine. I'm also sure it's just too personalized and would affect resale, big time.

Quote:
I just found this bumper pull renovation done in white. I like this renovation but it's a little too white for my taste. I think it needs a punch of color somewhere (other than the dark floor and one pillow on the bed).
Again, I totally agree. It's stunning and looks like something you'd see in an architectural magazine, but I prefer more color. And all that white just would not be practical. We have a dog (who's primarily black and sheds), and we cycle, hike, kayak etc. We'd get that rig grubby in a matter of weeks!

Quote:
They use green (not a shade I prefer) but the color certainly pops. Personally, I would have painted the walls in the back room (with the map) some other color than white ~ maybe a lighter shade of the color used by the bed above the driver's area.
Yes, I like some of what they did, but the colors don't really seem to "go" together. The valance colors do not go with the kelly green in the other areas. Seems that more of a gold or acid green would have worked better -- or a different valance and comforter/sham set. And the Kansas Jayhawks stuff doesn't go well either. I would have done gray, white, and chosen just one color of choice to use throughout, perhaps with a few accents of black. It certainly looks better than before they started, though, and I *heart* their floors!

Quote:
Regarding resale ~ I'm not sure how a renovation would affect the trade-in and/or resale value. We're not worried about resale/trade-in because we of course don't plan to sell/trade-in Dolly any time soon. We joke that we'll probably own her so long our kids will eventually inherit her! My thoughts regarding our remodel ~ the blue HAD to go and we want her to be a comfortable place to be while we own her.
Totally understandable! Since we are going to be looking for our very first MH, though, I am not kidding myself that it will be our last. It certainly might be, but I know a lot of folks end up deciding they want a different type or size once they actually start using their rig. So I do have to keep resale in mind to some extent. And we have no children to leave it to!

Thanks for sharing all these interesting links! I love looking at them. I still like the one with the shabby chic credenza best. I wish I'd studied to be a interior designer instead of a software engineer. But I'm retired now, so it's all good.

Where are you from in Kansas, by the way?

Emily
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
Emily ~

I also wish I had studied interior design because I feel like I flounder when I attempt to put things (design, color, etc.) together. I love HGTV and DIY! I had a great interior decorated when we lived in Oklahoma but because of the distance and her health she's not able to assist me with the Dolly makeover.

We may also purchase another motorhome at some time in the future but until then I guess I'm not going to worry too much about resale and just enjoy the time with have in/with Dolly! I know it could possibly hurt our resale by painting all of the woodwork white and removing the manufacturer window treatments. If we do sell Dolly I would paint the walls a neutral color and possibly change the window treatments to something neutral. We will at some point (in the hopefully not too distant future) replace the carpet with hardwood and I believe that will increase our resale value.

I installed the backsplash this weekend and will do the grout and install a boarder next to the door in a few days. The trim piece around the window is down and will go back up after the tile is grouted.

I have the woodwork above/around the sink area prepped and will prime (hopefully) tomorrow.

I ordered fabric online (Fabric.com) and it should be here by the end of the day Tuesday. So excited to see it in person! I hope I'm not disappointed in the fabric I selected.

I'm originally from Hays, Kansas ~ a small college town (Fort Hays State University) of approximately 20,000 in NW Kansas. I grew up on a farm 12 miles outside of Hays. Hays is off I-70 almost halfway between Denver and Kansas City. A lot of people know Hays because they've either stopped for food on their way through Kansas, been snowed in there (when they close the gates on I-70) or been broken down there! Hays was in the news this past week because of the 17" of snow they received.

Are you from NC (Tarhill)? Do you still live in the part of the country? My son (US Navy sailor) is currently stationed in Norfolk, VA. He has been to Kitty Hawk and had to go somewhere on the VA/NC border for Navy training. I've been to Norfolk twice in the last year to see Blake ~ beautiful country!

Happy Sunday everyone!

Gina
Old 02-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelGal View Post
I totally agree. It's gorgeous but way too formal and dark for me. Plus my DH would never, ever agree to anything like this, since it's very feminine. I'm also sure it's just too personalized and would affect resale, big time.
I showed my DH this renovation and he agreed that it was too dark, too brown and too fufu for his tastes. The lights in the bedroom are very elegant but too feminine for my DH (and me also!).

Quote:
Yes, I like some of what they did, but the colors don't really seem to "go" together. The valance colors do not go with the kelly green in the other areas. Seems that more of a gold or acid green would have worked better -- or a different valance and comforter/sham set. And the Kansas Jayhawks stuff doesn't go well either. I would have done gray, white, and chosen just one color of choice to use throughout, perhaps with a few accents of black. It certainly looks better than before they started, though, and I *heart* their floors!
I totally agree with this assessment. The valences/comforter set seem out of place with the kelly green color they chose. I love college football but I'm not sure I'd put my favorite team "stuff" in such a small place. We do, however, have a restaurant style booth area in our house with our favorite team logos on the wall but there's a HUGE difference between the space in our house and the small space in Dolly. I also *heart* their floors!

My DH created (out of Styrofoam) and painted the OU and Razorback logos. The OU is very straightforward but the Razorback he freehand created and painted is awesome. Okay, I'm partial. I draw stick figures and he makes things like this!! We know this type of decorating isn't everyone's style but it's a little bit of whimsy in our house. The wall color looks "golden" on my computer screen but the color is actually Fresco Cream by Sherwin Williams.

Gina
Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #53

Hi Gina,

Your backsplash looks great! So when you removed the window frame to tile, did you tile under where it will fit back on so that you didn't have to make perfectly curved cuts around the frame -- did it give you a bit of wiggle room for slop? Curious as to how that would work.

Hope the fabric you ordered is as nice as you hope. Exciting! I can't wait to see photos as you continue to do your renovation.

Yes, I'm a Tarheel gal, born and raised in North Carolina (Raleigh area) but not living there now. Have family there, though. I'm currently in Belize, which is why I can't look at motorhomes just yet. Returning to the US next month, though, and will be establishing domicile in Florida. Hope to start the MH search this summer or fall.

Even though I am not a big fan of sports-logo rooms, I like what you and your DH did with the Razorbacks cutouts and retro booth area. Very cute! And your DH is definitely talented! He could sell those on ebay or etsy, I am sure.

Keep those photos coming!

Emily
Old 02-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #54

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Your backsplash looks great! So when you removed the window frame to tile, did you tile under where it will fit back on so that you didn't have to make perfectly curved cuts around the frame -- did it give you a bit of wiggle room for slop? Curious as to how that would work.
Emily ~

Thanks for the compliment!

I wasn't too careful with the cuts for the tiles that would be hidden under the frame.

I used these clippers to cut and snip the tiles. For the tiles that would show (not hidden under the frame) I smoothed the cut edges using my DH's belt sander turned upside down and lying on a bench. Make sure you wear safety glasses while doing these things (cutting/snipping tiles and smoothing the tiles on the belt sander). I purchased these nippers at Lowe's in 2008 when we did a complete remodel of our house and I installed the tile on the backsplash in our kitchen.

This is what the tiles look like that will be hidden under the frame. Fairly ragged and not pretty!

This is what the tile looks like with the frame attached. I'm not sure I like how far the frame sticks out but once I get the grout on the tiles and smooth out the edges under the frame I may like it better. I also may need to purchase a longer screws but that shouldn't be a huge expense.

Gina
Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #55

Great job!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
Great job!
Thank you!

I'll post additional pictures after I grout which may be several days because it's cool here in DFW and I want to make sure the mastic sets well before I grout.

Gina