Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Painted interior and cabinets ~ let's see your pics

Last month we purchased our first "new to us" MH ~ a 1995 36' Dolphin with one slide. In my opinion, the interior of our MH is tired and dated. Has anyone painted their interiors and/or cabinets? If so, can we please see pictures?

I found this RV remodel online and am inspired by what this owner did to her 5th wheel ~

[IMG][/IMG]

More photos of the this renovation can be found here ~

http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-spac...i?oid=21149839

And ~

http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-spac...i?oid=21153350

And ~

http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-spac...i?oid=21152841

Thanks!

Gina

Gigi817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #2

This is our Camper, it took us about 3 months working on it during weekends and nights to complete! These pictures are before we moved everything in and stuff really still wasn't complete (i.e. new Oil Rubbed Bronze faucet we've installed, all the Roman Shades I've made completed). But you can get the jest of it I was in a purple-y mood during the remodel if you couldn't tell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	32176   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120930_161825.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	32177  

Name:	20121014_155649.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	32178   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121014_155654.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	32179  

Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

Renovating pictures!! This is the link to the thread that shows before and after photos of the remodel, we pretty much changed everything (as much as possible, and even getting ready to install a bigger nicer refrigerator )
Old 01-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Boy! Talk about a facelift!
Looks great you guys! Nice work.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Steph ~ Thanks so much for sharing your renovation pictures!! I also looked at (and love!) all of the pictures and information you posted on the thread you referenced.

I'm also going to use SW paint ~ love their paint and colors and that's what we use in our stick house. What colors did you use? My favorite color is purple (any shade) and the colors you used are beautiful!

Where did you purchase the fabric for your roman shades? Do you have the Pinterest link for the roman shades with the blinds behind? I think I like the idea of 1" wooden blinds behind a roman shade. I, like many, do not like the valence surrounds that come with all RVs. I know they serve a purpose (to hide the strings of the day/night shades and/or edges of the MDC shades) but I think they're ugly. My DH and I went to a RV show last weekend in Fort Worth and they are still using these (to me) hideous surrounds, even in the $700,000+ MHs. Ugh!

Thanks!

Gina
Old 01-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #6

It really makes it look like a S&B home! What a lovely renovation. I, too, am inspired. Also love purple ... any shade. I just put purple steaks in my hair! Better than all that gray. : ? )
Old 01-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
Am I correct, that you can pain the walls made out of that thin wall paper looking stuff, just like at the stationary home?
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #8

Thanks you all! I love being in it now, it really feels personal as opposed to living in something that was not my taste at all! I really have no idea what carriage was thinking with the decor they put in our RV My husband thought I was crazy when I told him I wanted a back splash (he was POSITIVE it wouldn't stay up, which it most definitely has stayed!) now he's really happy with it! In the living room and kitchen area we used Dutch Cocoa, and really the only reason my husband let me get it was it looked more brown than purple on the sample. It's a good mixture of the two! My mom is very into interior designing and was sure I was picking a color too dark, but I wanted the camper to feel warm plus we have all light cabinetry which I've grown to love since the renovation, before I hated having the light golden colors. I know now that was a result of ugly green and brass hardware it was paired with! I found the fabric at Jo-anns on a HUGE sale. I have probably 15 yards of fabric left over, it's ridiculous! I had no idea how to measure the windows to figure out how much fabric I would need and I didn't want to run out. I think I got 25 yards I googled no sew roman shades (I have never sewn before, I've never tufted before, I've never upholstered before or done anything with fabric! So if I can make Roman shades, reupholster seat cushions, and make a tufted headboard ANYONE can!) 365 Days to Simplicity: Easy no sew Roman Shades I followed this one really but used glue instead of the heat and bond strips. I tried several different glues and ended with fabri-tac by beacon it was the only one that seamed to hold! I used the cheap mini blinds as opposed to the wooden slats, although the wooden probably would've worked a lot better it was $30+ per shade and I needed about 13 of them seemed silly when I was disassembling them anyway!
The bathroom and bedroom area was done in nomadic desert which turned out too light so we took the can back to them and had them darken it. They said they added 200% of whatever to it which made it look like the next shade down on the paint sample (I believe it was latte). The bedroom slide out I wanted to be my "accent wall" and a deeper warmer color I think if correct it was expressive plum we used, basically a dark rich color purple that had the right undertones to pair with nomadic desert!

I can't wait to see photos! Are you refinishing cabinets too? We considered it but had SOOO much of it it would've taken weeks to do! Plus like I said above I love them now with the new colors and hardware!

Maxturner- yes we painted right over the wallpapered walls (or whatever that stuff is) we just sanded the sheen off of it and used an oil based primer first (I had read to use that to help with prevention of mold/mildew) then followed with sherwin-williams emerald line (good for mildew as well)

P.S. Gigi- I've heard the window valances and lambroqueins (sp?) serve a purpose, as far as helping with the draft that our single pane windows leave us with. But I would rather wear a scarf in my house during that winter than look at our ugly old ones
Old 02-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Steph ~ Thanks for your reply. I love the tufted headboard! Our bed has a mirror on the wall above the bed and I'd love to remove it and replace it with a headboard like yours! I may make that headboard and, if I make it tall enough, maybe it will hide the mirror so I don't have to remove it. I cracked the mirror in the bathroom when I removed it. Ugh!

I finally decided on paint colors (all Sherwin Williams colors) ~ Melange Green 6710, Exclusive Plum 6263 and Extra White 7006 for all of the woodwork. I'll use black as an accent color.

I finally figured out how to remove the fabric panels on the sides and top of the slide and the wooden accent piece on the top panel (it hurt when it hit me on the top of the head after I pried it off and before it hit the floor!). The side panels will be easy to re-install but the top panel will be a challenge. It appears National stapled the white membrane to the upper wood area (on the outside) of the slide and then mounted the top fabric piece and screwed in from behind and then they laid the white membrane down over the slide. As you can see from the pictures, the screws are still sticking out and can be removed after I pull the staples, lift the membrane and can get to the screws. I can then re-staple the membrane. I'm not sure how to connect the top fabric panel after I recover it. If I had to do it over again, I would not have removed the top fabric panel but would have tucked in the new fabric around the existing fabric. Oh well, too late now. Any suggestions on how to reattach the top panel without drilling through the white membrane?

Also, I would appreciate color suggestions. Attached are pictures of the "before" with the original blue, two photos showing what the sides look like after I removed the fabric side panels and top panel and a picture of my color palette. Remember, my inspiration was a great 5th wheel remodel (see pics above).

Do you think putting black fabric on the panels would be too dark? Should I do solid black on the side panels and then a patterned fabric on the top (black/white combo) or vice versa, a patterned (black/white) fabric on sides and top or something else? I've gone to Hancock Fabrics, JoAnn Fabrics and another commercial/discount fabric store and I'm not finding any fabric that I love or that "speaks to me." I was a little rushed when I was at JoAnn so I'll got there again tomorrow and also to Hobby Lobby to see what fabrics they offer.

Thanks!

Gina

Old 02-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #10

Love these renovations!

How inspiring -- these renovations are gorgeous. I am so happy to find this thread as it gives me hope. We don't even own an RV yet, but I find they are all UGLY inside -- so much brown. Ick! I love color, and it's wonderful to see what can be done to make these homes on wheels our own.

I'll definitely bookmark this thread for future reference. Thanks so much for the inspiration, ladies.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #11

DW tells me shiny gold hardware is not in anymore so she asked me to paint the pulls and hinges. For once I think will have to agree with her.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-02-08_14-09-46_863.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	33218  
Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #12

Gigi- First I want to say I LOVE your color palette, seriously that will be so awesome pulled together! Now for everything else I actually have black in our fabric in our RV too. I had major reservations about it at first, but couldn't find any other solid colored fabric to pair with my patterned Roman shades at any fabric stores (sometimes they just suck!). BUT it ended up being a good thing because we really love the black in here! All of our appliances are black (just replaced our fridge with the standard wood panels to a solid black fridge and it looks awesome!)so it fit in with the decor! On our panel in our bedroom slide out that had the fabric inlay we used hot glue believe it or not and it's worked great! That is what was holding it on before along with those little nails we have no idea how they got in there without ripping the fabric so obviously we couldn't use the nails and just stuck it up with hot glue! Not sure if that would help you or not! I also think patterned fabric on the top with the solid on the sides, that way your eyes are pulled to the center?! I can't wait to see photos!

Tarheel- I'm not a fan of all that brown either! At least not with some modern color patterns blended in!

Rockman- Ugh brass
Old 02-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman1 View Post
DW tells me shiny gold hardware is not in anymore so she asked me to paint the pulls and hinges. For once I think will have to agree with her.
Looks good Rockman1! I don't think I would have thought to paint them; I probably would have spent a lot of money replacing them with polished chrome. Great job and idea.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #14

I got some more painted hardware installed today. I should have taken before pictures. DW and I are both amazed in the difference it made. You don't realize how many pulls and hinges you have until you remove them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new pulls.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	33251