Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
Painting the inside

I am seriously thinking of doing a renovation on the inside of my coach. This will include removing ALL carpeting (bedroom and under couches) and replacing it with either wood flooring or porcelain tile to match what is in the living area and both bathrooms. I will be replacing all the furniture in the living area.

What I would like to know is, has anybody painted the inside walls? I hate the stuff that is on the walls now.

I am open for suggestions.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I haven't but a while back I saw pictures of several rv's where the owners had painted the whole inside cabinets and all. The pictures looked really good but I don't know what close up in person really looked like. I can't see that painting inside your rv would be much different than doing it in a house.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would contact some professional RV Remodelers. As a potential customer ask them questions, probe their minds, and discuss recommendations they may have.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #4

If you paint the cabinets think about what kind of paint you use. A neighbor painted the inside of their old Winnie with latex based paint. The old cabinet finish was oil based and the latex just chipped and peeled making it worse than when they started.
You can put oil over latex but never latex over oil.
scouserl41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #5

We went to Lowe's bought Kilz base paint and house paint than to auto parts store and bought auto masking paper and tape. We went home and taped the woodwork and painted everything that didn't move. Looking good after 4 years.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I think the key will be to use a good base coat on clean walls. I've seen several RV remodels where the walls have been painted and turned out great.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have spent the past 10 months doing a top to bottom, front to rear remodel. For the walls, I followed the directions of others and washed the walls down well with TSP, then rinsed them well, the painted them with oil based Kilz, then painted with a qood quality interior paint. It looks really nice, has been on for about 5 months and so far, so good. There were a few places where even after I did the above, the paint didn't want to stick but after it dried well, it is on good. I removed all the lower furniture and some of the lower cabinets to do this.

I also replaced all flooring throughout. I removed all cabinet doors and drawers .. did a light sanding and then put on a coat of lacquer (it originally had nice cherry cabinets finished in lacquer).

While I was at it, put in a residential refrigerator.

The paint project was a pain.. taping all the little corners takes a lot of time.. bet I went thru 10 rolls of painters tape. There will be a few places behind the overhead cabinets you can't get to easily.

I still have to re-make the window treatments and install new day/night shades.

I'm am almost done and ready to hit the road for the summer.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
One thing you hae to make sure that the wall are not wall paper because alot of motor coaches are. the cabnites are wood but some of the facing are paper coating
Floor It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floor It View Post
One thing you hae to make sure that the wall are not wall paper because alot of motor coaches are. the cabnites are wood but some of the facing are paper coating
You can paint paper coatings with proper primer and prep- household drywall has paper faces too! No reason you couldn't do it the same way.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:44 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The inside panel walls on my Allegro are vinyl coated instead of paper. The vinyl has worked itself loose and wrinkled in several places where it makes contact with the window frames, and around the perimeter of some of the cabinets, where they attach to the walls. I have been considering painting the interior also. I know there is paint available that will adhere to vinyl, but I am worried about future wrinkling and adhesion of the vinyl to the paneling. I believe I will have to strip some of the vinyl from the paneling at certain locations. I would not hesitate to paint over paper that is well adhered to to the paneling. I have painted over regular household wall paper on several occasions with good results.

Tags
paint