Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
Panic averted, problem solved

I just closed the entry door. The wife and i were both outside. When I tried to open the door it would not open. In a panic I asked the wife if she had the keys. Thankfully the answer was yes. I tried the dead bolt key which we normally use to lock the door. No luck. In a panic I thrived the other door key and it opened.

Turns out that closing the door hard can cause the red quick lock level to lock itself. The new rule in our house is never, never, never go outside without the door keys!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #2

Carry an extra set of keys to the coach the toad, carry an extra set of keys to the toad in the coach.

Selah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:59 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Indeed. DH has one set of keys and I have the other, and I will not walk out the door without confirming I have my set with me. A bit obsessive, perhaps, but it keeps my mind more peaceful...

Great photo of Tux, Paul! Ginger and we hope you are okay.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another idea and one that saved us one time is to leave a window unlocked while you are around camp. Then if the unthinkable happens, just retrieve a small ladder, raise or slide open the window and crawl inside to unlock.

If, like me you are too big or old to do this, get a neighbor child with their parents permission to climb in and open the door.

burfurd
burfurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use a key safe. https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-5...words=Key+safe
Old 10-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had a set of keys in a magnetic key box attached somewhere on the frame. Had to use it a couple of times.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
Some great ideas. I had thought about leaving one window unlatched. We will place an emergency key somewhere for sure. I like the key safe idea. We do not always pull our toad so that idea will not always work. Thanks to all.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have spare keys duct taped to the frame in a plastic bag.

Magnetic box falls off, leaks and won't hold all my spares.

Drivers window is always unlocked.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Key safe in propane compartment.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You dodged a bullet on that one for sure!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I know the feeling. I went down to a dumpsite after returning home from a trip to dump our tanks . It was very cold out so I left the coach running. I got out and left the door open but a gust of wind blew it shut and when the door shuts it locks when the coach is running. We have key less entry but the fob was on the key chain. After a 3 block walk I phoned DW to come down with extra keys. My cell phone was inside the coach.
I now have extra keys.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #12

If you have your ERS with Coachnet they will pay for the "Delivery of locksmith services to your vehicle and assistance in the opening of your locked vehicle, and/or obtaining a replacement key".
(I hide a key anyway).
Old 10-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #13

Glad this worked out well for you!

And yes, thru the 'School of Experience' - we always have a set of keys to the coach, and the toad. And hidden in the toad, another set on top of that! Why?

Well, we became rapidly unpopular at the very busy thee lanes to the dump station at Denali. Station 2. Wife walked over to the park info center with the dog. I went out to dump and refill the water tank. We'd agreed that I would pull down when done, and meet her at the info center. Walk around to get into the coach when done, and the door would not open. Not locked, but something shook loose (Well, it was later determined that a C clamp had popped off, and the handle mechanism would not work from the outside.)

I went back to let the three people behind me know that I could not get into my coach. Two out of the thee, of course had toads, and the front one had to unhook. The back gent had his wife sit in the toad, and he backed up about 5' to make the cutover to the other dump lane. And yes, all the people in lane 1 and 3, allowed these three to cut into line where it made sense to do so. So that was really nice. I put my orange caution triangle up in the lane 2, far back as I could, to keep others from getting behind me...

Borrowed a piece of paper and a pen from a person, wrote a note about not being able to get into the coach, and that I had gone to the Ranger info center to ask for help to call a locksmith. They called a person in Park Maintenance that they thought might be able to help, and he was 20-30 mins away.

Found my wife, who was becoming a bit miffed that I was taking too long at the dump! We walked back together.

We walked the coach, and I observed the driver side toll booth window was not locked. Had the key to the basement with me. Pulled out my ladder, got up and was able to slide the window open. Reached in the window, tilted the steering wheel as far up as possible. Seat is always back as far as it can go, for my hight. Now the fun begins. I'd broken my hip just 6 months earlier, and admit, I was not as 'nimble' as I had been just a few decades earlier. Wife held the ladder stable, and I on so non gracefully 'Squirmed, wiggled, gasped, a few choice worded my way - into the coach. Then did what my wife said sounded like a 'One Thud Landing' on the floor between the drivers and passenger seats. (After a few glasses of vino, I claim that I 'Stuck the landing!'). Inside the coach, I got my tools, and got the inside cover off of the door. And was able to manually open the door from the inside... Total time from when I found the problem to when we pulled away to park, was just under 50 minutes. Just as I walked over to tell the Info Center Ranger that we had got into the coach and it was moved. The Park Maintenance gent showed up...

We McGivered the door assembly to work most of the time, but for the rest of out trip to Alaska, the door would work it's way from closed, even with the deadbolt engaged. We strapped the inside door handle hold, securing it the base of the passenger seat... But, with some bungie cord, and a few zip ties - the jury rig of the door mechanism never left us stranded outside for the rest of the trip.

THIS IS THE REASON WE ARE ANAL ABOUT HAVING EXTRA KEYS. And yes, even with a new full door assembly installed - we keep a window unlocked.

Be safe, have fun, and be prepared for when things to South!
Smitty
Old 10-15-2016, 03:35 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Key safe in propane compartment.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote