Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Paper plates make good fire starter. Plus less dishes you have to do. The only bad thing about some of the paper plates, if you're not careful, even the slightest liquid will soak right through them, so you would have to double or even triple up on plates. But I always use fine china when it comes to silverware. Now that can get expensive in a hurry. Plus those are easy to wash

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #16

Corelle or paper plates are ok if you are camping in a tent, but with a modern day RV, ie, MH, TT or 5th wheel, then why worry about washing dishes. A 5 or 10 minute job is well worth the "luxury" of fine China and Crystal. And for you tree huggers, no land fill problems.

Jim E

Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #17

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTblc View Post
Paper plates make good fire starter. Plus less dishes you have to do. The only bad thing about some of the paper plates, if you're not careful, even the slightest liquid will soak right through them, so you would have to double or even triple up on plates. But I always use fine china when it comes to silverware. Now that can get expensive in a hurry. Plus those are easy to wash
The El Cheapo paper plates soak through before the liquid even hits them. The better ones cost little more and are far more soak resistant. A lot times, I will nuke something on a paperplate in the "reactor" then slide it onto another paper plate. Soak through problem solved.

Chinette paper plates are just as bad for soak through. I don't waste my money on them.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #18

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
Corelle or paper plates are ok if you are camping in a tent, but with a modern day RV, ie, MH, TT or 5th wheel, then why worry about washing dishes. A 5 or 10 minute job is well worth the "luxury" of fine China and Crystal. And for you tree huggers, no land fill problems.

Jim E
There has been a debate for sometime which causes more polution; paper plates or washing dishes. For me, I'm just lazy (and have no problem admitting it).
Old 08-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use a mix.. Glass, paper and Plastic, depending.
Plates are paper (used when dry camping or boondocking) or plastic (Used when we have water to spare)

Bowls and other dishes are a mix.. Glass works best if microwaving contents.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have Correll---and have paper plates------and some plastic---so we are prepared for everything. If it is us or just a few guest it Correll and silverware---nice setting. If we are joing the thirty other people down the way for a superbowl party we take paper or plastic. When we host a party with lots of friends we use the plastic

It seems to also depend on whether you are "camping" or "living" in your rig.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #21

We use plastic(melmac type if your young enough to remember that) most of the time. We also carry a set of stoneware dishes. our "silverware" is the type that has the hard plastic handles and metal utensils. For drinking we use plastic tumblers, ceramic coffee mugs, and insulated coffee mugs. We don't like paper plates because you can't cut anything on them without scratching or cutting through then.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #22

Other than cost, why would anyone use Corelle or any kind of"plastic" dinner ware over China in an RV and not at your home? If you use the "plastic" stuff at home it must be a cost issue and that is a different situation.

Jim E
Old 08-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Other than cost, why would anyone use Corelle or any kind of"plastic" dinner ware over China in an RV and not at your home? If you use the "plastic" stuff at home it must be a cost issue and that is a different situation.

Jim E

Some folks prefer silk hankies, while others prefer Kleenex. Both do a good of what they were designed for, just like fine china or Corelle ware. Just a matter of preference.

Dieselclacker
Old 08-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We NEVER use plastic, it's VERY bad for the environment! Those plastic things fill up the landfills and last almost forever! Same thing for foam cups, etc. Of course I'm referring to the throw-away dishes, not the kind you keep.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #25

Pairajays,

I used Corelle at home and in the FW. I have fine china (and sterling silver) but I don't use them because they're too hard to take care of. Used to use the sterling every day, every meal. Think I've used the china fewer than five times in over 30 years.

I like Corelle. It's durable, lightweight, and practical. The new pattern I got for my house dishes makes me happy every time I use a piece of it. I like the pattern I got for the FW, too.

If I break a piece, it's easy to get a replacement and it doesn't cost five arms and three legs.

And I can wash the Corelle in the dishwasher at home...

That's why I prefer Corelle and stainless to china and sterling silver.

liz

P.S. Corelle is glass. Can't tell whether you are lumping it with plastic or not, but it's definitely NOT plastic or plastic-like.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:

Jim E
Not a cost issue, I use Correlle at home and in the RV because I like it. It's light, lasts forever and comes in some really nice patterns. I also use better quality paper plates for sandwiches and such because I'm lazy and hate washing dishes.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #27

I would only ever use paper plates as a last resort anywhere. I have corelle which I use exclusively, good plastic glasses and wine glasses and good ceramic mugs for my coffee. Haven't broken any yet, but if I do, will just replace it.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Love those paper plates from Costco, cheap, never leak through, great for starting the evening camp fire and no dishes to wash. That way my wife and I can both enjoy the vacation without having to wash dishes like we do when we are home. They are also lighter and reduce the payload. And for you environmentalists that means saving fuel which reduces our dependance etc, etc, etc, You get the idea !!

Bottom line : Don't like doing dishes !

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote