Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #29

IMO, folks use Correlle because it is less expensive than China. When I refer to China, I'm not talking about "fine China", that goes for a $1,000 or more, just informal China at a couple hundred bucks.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2011, 04:43 AM   #30
GPW

Why not use the "good stuff" ... Saving it for a special occasion ? I'm Old , yet still alive , so Today, as is every day, is a special occasion ...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #31

Corelle and paper(chinet from Sams). But I really like the heavy acrylic for my wine and highball glasses! Almost like glass!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Some folks prefer silk hankies, while others prefer Kleenex. Both do a good of what they were designed for, just like fine china or Corelle ware. Just a matter of preference.

Dieselclacker
I understand your point but i do not understand why anyone would prefer Corelle over china. I don't think it is a matter of preference. There has to be another reason.

When i go to a restaurant and get my water in a "plastic" glass, i think cheap.

Jim E
Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
Pairajays,

I used Corelle at home and in the FW. I have fine china (and sterling silver) but I don't use them because they're too hard to take care of. Used to use the sterling every day, every meal. Think I've used the china fewer than five times in over 30 years.

I like Corelle. It's durable, lightweight, and practical. The new pattern I got for my house dishes makes me happy every time I use a piece of it. I like the pattern I got for the FW, too.

If I break a piece, it's easy to get a replacement and it doesn't cost five arms and three legs.

And I can wash the Corelle in the dishwasher at home...

That's why I prefer Corelle and stainless to china and sterling silver.

liz

P.S. Corelle is glass. Can't tell whether you are lumping it with plastic or not, but it's definitely NOT plastic or plastic-like.
LibbyLA,

You are going from one extreme to another, I don't mean "fine China" or sterling silver. I'm talking about China as everyday use dishes and stainless steel.

Jim E
Old 08-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsjao View Post
Corelle and paper(chinet from Sams). But I really like the heavy acrylic for my wine and highball glasses! Almost like glass!
That's funny you would refer to the acrylic glass as "Almost like glass". That infers glass is better, so why not use glass?

Jim E
Old 08-12-2011, 05:29 AM   #35

Jim,

In my literal and precise world, "China" refers to the real thing. Always has and always will.

So now I really don't understand. What sort of everyday dishes are you calling "China" that you think is superior to Corelle? Stoneware? Something else?

liz
Old 08-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays

That's funny you would refer to the acrylic glass as "Almost like glass". That infers glass is better, so why not use glass?

Jim E
I am on the road alot, not in one place for very long. Less breakage! :-)
Old 08-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #37

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz...

To avoid washing dishes.

At home and for myself, I use paper plates. For guests, I would use the good stuff. I'll do the same when I start full timing.
We use Waterford and Fine China and throw them away after use to save on having to wash them and put them safely away. Only kidding of course! Love reading all of the posts and looking forward to getting out there with all of you awesome people.
NuB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #38

If we were full timing I would have something like Correlle, but we don't use the RV enough, so we get the better heavy duty throw away plastic. Plates and bowls.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
Jim,

In my literal and precise world, "China" refers to the real thing. Always has and always will.

So now I really don't understand. What sort of everyday dishes are you calling "China" that you think is superior to Corelle? Stoneware? Something else?

liz
OK, first of all, I did not say that Corelle was inferior to anything. I was giving my impression of that particular brand of dinner ware.

IMO, "China" is a generic word for dinner ware. There is "Fine or Formal China" and there is "Casual China", neither of which come from China. There are several companies that market both kinds. Noritake, Lenox and Mikasa come to mind. I am most familiar with Noritake and have a set of both Formal and Casual. The Formal set i bought in the 1950s, in Japan, when i was in the Navy. I don't remember the exact cost, just that it was relatively expensive. The Casual set, i believe, is stoneware. It was relative inexpensive.

Todays cost for a 4 piece setting of Noritake Fine China will set you back $150 to $200, and this is not really expensive stuff. I have a 12 place setting. At $150 per setting, that amounts to $1,800. Add the serving dishes and you are at $2,500 or so. That is my definition of fine China.

The casual set we have, referred to as stoneware, which we use every day, is a 4 piece, 6 place setting with some serving bowls. We bought that set in 2001 at a cost of $250.

So, that pretty much sums up my interpretation of China. IMO, Corelle would be in a casual dinnerware category and, I believe it is a Melamine product.

Jim E
Old 08-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
We have a set or corel dishes and they work just fine. We stack them but separate them with some foam to keep them from noise and damage... ...insulated.
I use paper plates between Corel -- perfect fit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Corelle

Agree, Corell is best. Nothing more annoying than trying to eat a nice steak off a foam or paper plate. I use paper for burgers, dogs, and anything that doesn't use a steak knife.
Gerall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
IMO, Corelle would be in a casual dinnerware category and, I believe it is a Melamine product.

Jim E
Corelle is made of an extra durable glass. it bounces rather than breaking most of the time. It is about the thickness of Melamine, which is a plastic product. One advantage is that Corelle takes up very little space.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote