Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Paper or plastic?

Hi everyone -- I am in the process of setting up the kitchen in my motorhome. We plan to take a local trip to the beach for our first outing. I was wondering if I could get advice on what type of dishes do most people use in their RV's. I figured that we would stay away from glassware for obvious reasons, but was not all that excited about paper plates. The hard plastic plates I've seen at Target are not microwave-able. What advice can you give me?
Thanks, Tamara
AppleValley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #2

We have a set or corel dishes and they work just fine. We stack them but separate them with some foam to keep them from noise and damage. We also have a set of really cheap plastic dishes I use for transporting food from the grill to inside. Plastic drink cups, some insulated.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I use a little of both kinds. I have a few corelle dishes for when we are inside eating and want something I can put a knife on without scratching. I use some hard plastic dishware that I got online from Amazon that are microwavable for when we have lots of folks or eat outside. If I had one choice I would go with the plastic set as we use that most of all.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #4

KZ RV Club
Ditto with the corelle. When we bring our teenaged daughter and her friend with us, we tend towards paper plates, but they can be a pain. The paper plates, not the teenagers. We don't even separate the individual corelle dishes in transit, but do separate them by type (using rubber padding between the plates and bowls for example).
Old 08-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a set of corelle that has served us well for over 10 years. We also use el cheapo paper plates for microwave heating, sandwich serving etc., and use some styro foam bowls for use with cereal and soups, they work well and don't require washing. We rely on plastic drinking glasses, except for a set of glass wine glasses, (hey, some things you just gotta have the real thing). We use travel cups for coffee, and also carry a set of mugs for when we are at our destination.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We keep a set of Corelle dishes on the trailer as well as a set of SS flatware. We do keep some paper or foam plates for the rare occasion we do not want to mes with doing the dishes.

One thing we do to keep camping more fun for me as well as the wife is to share kitchen duties. If she does most of the cooking, I clean up the dishes. If I do most of the cooking, she does the dishes. But generally, we both work at it and share duties and makes camping fun for both of us. And YES, I can cook.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #7

We use Tupperware hard plastic dishes, cups, bowels, and glasses. Won't break and microwave safe.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
GPW

Fine China and Waterford crystal for us ... just keep it well padded for travel ...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
Fine China and Waterford crystal for us ... just keep it well padded for travel ...
You bet, why spend $150K or more for a home and eat out of paper plates.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
You bet, why spend $150K or more for a home and eat out of paper plates.

Jim E
To avoid washing dishes.

At home and for myself, I use paper plates. For guests, I would use the good stuff. I'll do the same when I start full timing.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #11

We full time so while some may think folks are joking about china, we are not.
We carry a full service for 8 of Blue Danube china as our everyday eating ware, cut crystal carafes for our liquor, silverware for our silverware and real wine glasses, martini glasses and hi-ball glasses (kept frozen in preparation for cocktail hour). We take care to ensure things are not going to be broken during travels but it's not any extra daily work for the dishes but it does take a bit of pre-planning. We also have paper plates and plastic glasses (need these when we head to the hot tub with a glass of wine or a Manhattan from time to time).
If you live in your RV then you should "live" there! We got cut off by an inconsiderate driver a few years back and we had to slam on our brakes to save ourselves from a nasty accident. This cost us 4 dinner plates, 2 cereal bowls and 2 salad plates. I guess considering that we have been full-timing for over 11 years that's not a bad record. We do still drop stuff from time to time, but we did that when we lived in a house as well so I don't count those loses!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Paper plates all the way. We use the Dixie plates available at Costco or Sam's Club, the 8.5" size. Tried the plates thing and it is a pain.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We carry both Corelle, nice dinner ware and crystal and disposables. While in route to a location, especially stopping for lunches, or just weekend trips we use paper and try to stay away from foam or hard plastic. Once on site for a stay it's the type dishes and table ware that we would use at home.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #14

Corelle. I just got rid of a set that I'd had for at least 35 years and I think my mother has had her set several years longer than that.

It's lightweight and sturdy.

liz