Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Parallel Flow Restrictors

Has anyone tried putting a Y on the park supply line, then putting two flow restrictors on it, then combining the two outputs into your supply line. Seems that while limiting the PSI as they should there is considerable flow restriction.
Just wondering before I actually try it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I attach my water regulator with gauge to the faucet and then attach a Y to that and attach two hoses one for my fresh water hose and the other for a hose I use to rinse my black water tank. Works pretty well.

Nick

Old 08-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A flow restrictor is nothing more than a washer with a small hole, Why would you want to go to all that trouble when you can simply drill a larger hole?

Now if you are talking PRESSURE REGULATORS.. That is a whole nuther kettle of beans.

SUR-FLO (The one that is often combined with the city water inlet) sells an in-line, identical the the aforementioned city water inlet model, and WATTS (Who, as I recall own Sur-Flo) maake very nice regulators that are not as restrictive.

The Camco one with the wings on teh cylinder is not bad either.. Not the best (That woudl be Watts, at least 1/2 inch) but not bad.

The standard inline one made of brass or plastic that is a cylinder about the size of a female hose fitting with same on one end and a male fitting on the other.. JUNK, that restricts flow way too much.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, I was referring to pressure regulators, as I do notice a flow rate decrease compared to my city water connection. Was wondering if dual pressure regulators in parallel would, while keeping the PSI acceptable, would increase the flow to the coach.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Seems to me that ought to work, but a better regulator is an easier solution. The Watts whole-house type that wa8yxm described is a good one. It's what I use when I need a regulator (I don't use one unless the pressure is real high).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
yes, it should keep the pressure at the set-point and allow double the flow. i have a pair of the original brass regulators. i have not had a chance to go anywhere that has city water, so i dont know how well a single one will work, but i will make up a dual rig just in case it is needed.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #7

Try a house pressure reducer it has been on the forem with pictures, I made one works great reduces pressure with all the volume. I will send you a picture if interested.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just buy a real whole house regulator and stop messing with the little junk.

Ken
Old 08-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
I attach my water regulator with gauge to the faucet and then attach a Y to that and attach two hoses one for my fresh water hose and the other for a hose I use to rinse my black water tank. Works pretty well.

Nick
Curious, what you do to prevent potential cross contamination in this setup? What would happen if the check valve on the black tank were to fail or stick open? Do you only connect that hose when rinsing and then disconnect?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Gerall.......Do as others have stated......buy a good water regulator with gauge. I mounted mine in the utillity bay and connect the fresh water hose to it. You can safely set the pressure regulator to 55-60 psi and not blow your water lines apart. This will give you plenty flow.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
Curious, what you do to prevent potential cross contamination in this setup? What would happen if the check valve on the black tank were to fail or stick open? Do you only connect that hose when rinsing and then disconnect?
I don't know how Traveler does it but on my system

1: The "Y" has valves, and I only open the valve for the "Rinse" hose when I need it open.

2: The outlet end of the "Rinse" hose has both a vacuum breaker and a spring check valve.

3: The motor home tank flush inlet has a vacuum breaker and the "Tornado" rinser has a spring check valve.

Kind of belt, belt, suspenders and suspenders protection against back flow.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I don't know how Traveler does it but on my system

1: The "Y" has valves, and I only open the valve for the "Rinse" hose when I need it open.

2: The outlet end of the "Rinse" hose has both a vacuum breaker and a spring check valve.

3: The motor home tank flush inlet has a vacuum breaker and the "Tornado" rinser has a spring check valve.

Kind of belt, belt, suspenders and suspenders protection against back flow.
I hope everyone is as thorough about that arrangement as you are wa8yxm. You've obviously thought it through so that you've got some protection there. Being in the piping business I can tell you that we never like to see potable water and waste water connected at any point. I'm actually amazed that there aren't more problems since we all use the same spigot for drinking and then other less savory duties. Who knows what that last guy hooked up to that spigot before you got there! Be careful everyone! (And sanitize that spigot before you hook up)
Old 08-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
I hope everyone is as thorough about that arrangement as you are wa8yxm. You've obviously thought it through so that you've got some protection there. Being in the piping business I can tell you that we never like to see potable water and waste water connected at any point. I'm actually amazed that there aren't more problems since we all use the same spigot for drinking and then other less savory duties. Who knows what that last guy hooked up to that spigot before you got there! Be careful everyone! (And sanitize that spigot before you hook up)
I always carry a spray bottle filled with a bleach solution to disinfect the faucet. Then I let the water run a while before hooking up. As you say, who knows how the person before you used that faucet.

Not only that, but most spigots are installed low to the ground, especially in the north, to prevent freezing. That makes it just the right height for some dog to use as a substitute for a fire hydrant.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great feedback, ty to all. I do think I will go the route of purchasing a high quality pressure regulator as opposed to those ten dollar brass ones. In the long run it will save a lot of pressure issues.