Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #1

Park model trailer floor stability for wheelchairs

Hello,

I have never owned an RV or trailer, but I am considering purchasing and modifying a park model trailer as a permanent home.

I use a motorized wheelchair that weighs just over 500 lbs. with me in it.

I'm concerned about the long term stability of the floor.

Do folks here with experience know if I should reinforce the floor somehow?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
rva2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

When you set the trailer in it's spot, support the frame with multiple jack stands or blocks. It should be plenty stable and secure that way.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

When you set the trailer in it's spot, support the frame with multiple jack stands or blocks. It should be plenty stable and secure that way.
Great advice, thank you
Old 09-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

There's is not an active Park Model community on iRV2, but you might start a change there.

I would submit that the flooring of all HUD compliant built Park Model homes would have no problem with a 500 lb loading on the average footprint of a wheelchair.

The obvious problems would be doorway widths and fixture heights (sinks, countertops, etc.)

It might be less expensive in the long run to just start with an ADA approved/compatible floorplan. The large makers (Athens, Delta, etc.) offer these floorplans. Changing doors and fixtures in these prefab units (similar to RV modifications) could get expensive.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

I can't speak to wheelchair, but a friend uses a three wheel Rascal in his with no problems.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

There's is not an active Park Model community on iRV2, but you might start a change there.

I would submit that the flooring of all HUD compliant built Park Model homes would have no problem with a 500 lb loading on the average footprint of a wheelchair.

The obvious problems would be doorway widths and fixture heights (sinks, countertops, etc.)

It might be less expensive in the long run to just start with an ADA approved/compatible floorplan. The large makers (Athens, Delta, etc.) offer these floorplans. Changing doors and fixtures in these prefab units (similar to RV modifications) could get expensive.

Best luck
Well, park model community or not, I'm already impressed with how responsive and helpful this group is, and its much appreciated.

I won't be able to live within a standard interior of any RV with my particular needs. Even ADA models won't really work for me. My plan is to either gut a used one or see if I can talk a manufacturer into selling me an empty shell.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rva2112 View Post
Well, park model community or not, I'm already impressed...My plan is to either gut a used one or see if I can talk a manufacturer into selling me an empty shell.
Exciting idea

Buying used and gutting it would probably be very affordable. And, with the floor exposed, any reinforcement desired would be so easy.

Buying a new empty shell is surely an option...this builder even offers it...see "They only look expensive"
Home - Rich's Portable Cabins & Tiny Homes

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would think that manufactures have ADA compliant models, accommodations for wheel chairs including flooribf, etc. Given much of the targeted market segment.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I would think that manufactures have ADA compliant models, accommodations for wheel chairs including flooribf, etc. Given much of the targeted market segment.
I have found a few ADA models that have some of the features that I need, but I will still have to do quite a bit of renovating. Also, after reading through this forum and learning more about the RV vehicles, I'm beginning to consider a class A RV as an option. Since I am unable to drive, I had dismissed the RV option before, but if I find one large enough it might actually work out really well for me and be more portable. I also think that the floor will be more suitable for my wheelchair (as per this thread). Right now I'm looking at all of the possibilities.

FYI, I do not want to post a link in the forum, because I assume it is against the rules and I don't want to be one of "those" guys anyway, but this morning I decided to take a chance on a gofundme page for this project. If anybody is interested in at least seeing the details just for the sake of seeing what I'm trying to accomplish feel free to pm me for the link. I'm sure I will be back on this site frequently to get advice if I ever get this off the ground.

Thanks all!
Old 09-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #10

Check this out:

Canyon Star, wheelchair accessibility | Newmar
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rva2112 View Post
I won't be able to live within a standard interior of any RV with my particular needs. Even ADA models won't really work for me. My plan is to either gut a used one or see if I can talk a manufacturer into selling me an empty shell.
Park models are often made buy small volume manufacturers. They could easily custom build one with wider door faces and a handicap bathroom/kitchen facilities.

The modern park models are very nice inside for minimal square feet. They're equipped with normal bathrooms and kitchen appliances, and should work fine for you.

The only problem I see is finding a place to put tiny homes as housing regulations of most cities prohibit them, RV's and mobile homes in nicer parts of town.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Park models are often made buy small volume manufacturers. They could easily custom build one with wider door faces and a handicap bathroom/kitchen facilities.

The modern park models are very nice inside for minimal square feet. They're equipped with normal bathrooms and kitchen appliances, and should work fine for you.

The only problem I see is finding a place to put tiny homes as housing regulations of most cities prohibit them, RV's and mobile homes in nicer parts of town.
Thanks for the advice, I'm still leaning toward the park models because of these very reasons.

The target location for the home is the Florida Keys and there are numerous places where I could put the unit.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
wow! that looks roomy!

the bathroom is almost perfect too
Old 09-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #14

If you're unable to drive I don't think a Class A would be a good option. They are meant to be driven.

Gutting an older Park Model and redoing it could also be just as costly by the time you hire a carpenter and purchase new materials.

Have you considered a regular mobile home already set up in a community? It would give you a lot more floorspace and they are built better than Park Models and better insulated for the Florida heat. Your air conditioning bill would be more reasonable. There have to be lots of them in Florida with all the retirees down there. You could even do a search for one that's already been modified for a wheelchair as I assume there would be many users of such in Florida.

....just more to think about. Best of luck to you whatever you do!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheelchair