Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Park your rv

I was considering buying a class c
Rv ,23 feet long. Does anyone know the laws
Can you park it on your property
Miller place 11764
In driveway or side of house
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #2

Every jurisdiction (sometimes even the neighborhood) has its own rules. I would contact your local government and see what they say.

AngliaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #3

Just thought someone would be familiar with Brookhaven long island
Old 05-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #4

If you live where there are HOA fees then most likely you will not be permitted to park it on your property. Most other areas allow you to park an RV on your property if it is in your back yard behind a gate or fence. Like Anglia mentions, it would be best to simply contact your city code department and ask them.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytes View Post
Just thought someone would be familiar with Brookhaven long island

Even if someone thought they knew the rules, I would never rely on that for such critical information. If this is your community, you should investigate it yourself.. Geeeesh.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #6

I don't own an rv never had one,but was considering a class c around 2010 low miles to drive to Florida and stay on site diff places each year like vero beach etc. Rather then buying a townhouse. If we go down for winter Jan,Feb,march April and may then back to new York for seven months it will be idle.
If I buy a townhouse , it cost nore and would also be idle for many months.
So just thought someone around me has an rv and knows all about it.
My wife likes the idea of it and bring dogs with us rather then on plane
Maybe this is stupid idea.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not a dumb idea. Many RVers use their RVs just as you describe. Allows them the freedom to winter in different places rather than feel obligated to stay in the one place they bought. But most still use them for trips after they've returned home from the south. But that's a choice. You just need to find out what your regs are before you spend the money
Old 05-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #8

Thanks
Will call and find out what I can as far parking in driveway or on side of house
Old 05-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #9

Check with the local Building Inspector. Or just park it in the driveway for a bit. You'll find out real quick whether it's ok or not. My neighbor claims I can't park mine on the property but the Building Inspector seems to care less, just that I keep it registered.

Bill
Old 05-10-2016, 11:14 AM   #10

I would go to the town hall and talk to someone and you want to see it on paper and get a name of whom you talked to. I used to live on L.I.
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:39 AM   #11

Call the code office with specific address as zoning can be different across the street or next door.

The code office are the folks who respond to a complaining neighbor so if code office states driveway okay then good in driveway.

Many places also consider federal "guidelines" that may not be rules but apply them when someone complains.

Biggest one is said vehicle must be parked in a "parking place" meaning parked in dirt or grass is considered in the yard and not a parking place...but put down a pad to make it a parking place and you are good...but then setbacks may apply.

BTDT... Had "one of those" types in the past that called on everything.

Was on a first name basis with code officer.

One time it was for tinkering with car in driveway.

Was told that based on federal guidelines you could not raise the hood to check your oil in your yard if visible from the street.

This was when we lived in an area of town NOT known for great housing...

These things are extremely wacky so you cannot assume anything nor take advice from anyone except for local code enforcement office.

So before investing check code enforcement first then get it in the purchase agreement as condition of sale.

Real estate folks here can provide much guidance regarding that.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #12

As others have said, it all starts with a complaining neighbor. Every little burg and subdivision has their own flavor of rules and regulations. My community only allows an RV to be stored on the property if it is behind the front of the house, at least 10' from a side or rear property line and surrounded by a 6' privacy fence. Kinda silly to surround a 12'-6" RV with an 6' fence but no one has said the rules need to make sense.

I keep mine at a storage facility about 20 minutes away and usually bring it home a couple days before a trip, then a couple days after a trip to clean it up before heading back to storage.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #13
KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
As others have said, it all starts with a complaining neighbor. Every little burg and subdivision has their own flavor of rules and regulations. My community only allows an RV to be stored on the property if it is behind the front of the house, at least 10' from a side or rear property line and surrounded by a 6' privacy fence. Kinda silly to surround a 12'-6" RV with an 6' fence but no one has said the rules need to make sense.

I keep mine at a storage facility about 20 minutes away and usually bring it home a couple days before a trip, then a couple days after a trip to clean it up before heading back to storage.
Im with Tim, I keep my RV in a covered storage area, I like the idea of covered storage to keep the sun and weather off the RV. We park our at the home a few days before and after we take a trip or if Im working on the coach.

KC
Old 05-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #14

I called the town and in Brookhaven county (miller place) long island
I can't park an rv over 18000 lbs in my driveway, but I can park it on the side of my house behind 6ft fence