Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Parking at friends

I'm posting this here instead of in the TT forum to hopefully get more coverage. I have a 26 foot TT that I am considering taking to job site. I have a friend who lives 3 miles from there and I can use his standard 15 amp electric and park at his house for free but I am guessing my AC (15,000 BTU) will not work on this? Also, could I make it 10 days with careful use of my water and holding tanks?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #2

AC takes approx. 10-12 amps, as for you holding tank mine will hold about 4 showers and daily water for 2 days on grey tank. About 3-4 days on black for 2 people and I'm pretty sure you have smaller tanks. If you use his toilet and water his yard with your grey water you will be fine.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lots of areas have laws against dumping grey water, even on private property.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would shower at his house or even at work, really just need a place to sleep. I eat dinner out a lot and breakfast and lunch are served at work. It gets in the 90's most of the time in summer - I would need to run the AC all the time, that is my big worry.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Forgot to say Grey and black are 33 and 33.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I think you will pop his breakers...
and that's before you tell us how far you are from the electrical box and what gauge cord you are using...

a small gauge cord and a 100 foot run would lose even more...

now could you run two cord from (and for) two different circuits ?

maybe.... but 10 days @ a plan vanilla rv site would probably be easier...

good luck.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #7

That's ok I should have said dumping in friends yard was a JOKE.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You could probably get by with a 20 amp circuit....but probably not in the summer on a 15 amp. Additionally, what else does the friend have running on the 15 amp circuit? All of the amps add up.

You can reduce the amp draw in the RV by running the frig on gas, water heater on gas and disconnect the 12 volt converter.

Ken
Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dave--I think you should be able to run your A/C with no problem. We can run one unit when parked in our own driveway with no problem...as well as a TV and lights. Just make sure your friend doesn't have other power draws on that circuit if possible.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #10

You can run your ac on a 15 amp breaker, but any other loads - like a water heater, refer, lights, coffe pot or toaster could make it pop.

If you use gas appliances like other's suggest, you could get by. Also, you need not run the AC all day - usually a trailer can cool down in 20 to 30 mins since it's such a small space. I'd crack open a vent or window to ventilate during the day.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #11

You may be trying to keep from spending money, but if you don't mind spending and/or would have a use in the future, you could consider an Evaporative Portable Air Conditioner (just Google it). For around $300 you could get an 8000 BTU unit that pulls around 8.3A. We have one in the house bedroom and it is fantastic and very effective. Keeps us from cooling the whole house. Maybe cool the whole TT during the daytime, and close the door at night and just cool your bedroom. It is somewhat noisy but we got used to it quickly, and now we actually like that it drowns out traffic and other noises.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Dave--I think you should be able to run your A/C with no problem. We can run one unit when parked in our own driveway with no problem...as well as a TV and lights. Just make sure your friend doesn't have other power draws on that circuit if possible.
I'm with SarahW, when I'm parked at home I run the AC on my 15 amp breaker when needed. I never have popped a breaker and actually lived in our Motorhome for 18 months using same breaker.
If you are diligent water cop you can easily make 10 days. You can always drain off the gray into a 5 gal bucket and water the , yard, flower beds etc. It doesn't not hurt a thing. When I was a kid we lived on Septic and my Dad ran the washing machine water out on our lawn in the backyard. The area that the water ran was always twice as green as the rest of the lawn.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #13

You should really have 20 amp to run a 15,000btu A/C unit. Even at that all other electric draw should be zero until the A/C has been running for a minute or so. Your black tank should be ok but your gray tank will be an issue. Maybe dump gray water into buckets and dump down house drain.

I could not run my 15,000 btu A/C unit off my house 15 amp outlet but was able to run it from my house micro wave 20amp outlet.

I like the idea of just biting the bullet and staying in a nearby campground.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #14

+1 on 15 amp being OK for A/C only. Everything else, including charger/converter off while using.

Gray water dumping is fine if it's only soapy water. You don't want to attract critters by dumping water that has food in it (from kitchen sink).

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote