Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #1

Parking at WalMart ? Still allowed ?

I read on another discussion board that WalMart was cracking down on RV's spending the night in their parking lots. I realize that some WalMarts never have allowed parking overnight, but this mentioned that it was a "corporate decision" due to liability problems and that they were eliminating overnight RV parking. We occasionally will spend the night at a WalMart when the other options are limited. Have anyone experienced any new restrictions ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2019, 07:43 AM   #2

Depends on the town and the store. Best bet is to ask the store manager.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Some cities and towns have local ordinances that don't allow overnight parking in parking lots, it is not a corporate policy. The people saying it is are the same folks claiming that Camping World is going out of business they call them trolls. Allstays app is pretty up to date on where it is allowed an where it is not. It's always best to check with the store personnel to make sure. Remember too that you don't have to limit it to Walmart. Cracker barrel is another option and most big box stores have that option.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #4

I'm having second thoughts about overnighting at Walmarts close to the southern border.
I'm going to ask them if they're planning security measures.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbucking View Post
I understand that some WalMarts have never allowed overnight parking and I understand the other options. The article I read said that it was a corporate decision from Walmart and that ALL Walmart stores were going to start to not allow overnight parking. Has anyone read this or experienced problems lately with parking at WalMart ?
Please post this article. Thanks
Old 08-05-2019, 08:10 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZinke View Post
Please post this article. Thanks
From the horses mouth not some crackpot article. https://corporate.walmart.com/freque...sked-questions

"can I park my RV at Walmart store"
Old 08-05-2019, 08:12 AM   #7

In the past month, I have stayed at Walmart on four occasions. It has not been a problem for any the stores, in fact they were very pleasant and helpful in sharing where to park. I do not stay in larger cities, so avoid most of the places where ordinances become an issue.

I read recently in a review of a Walmart store, that the store employee informed the RV owner to ignore the city ordinance signs, because they were open 24 hours a day the ordinance could not be enforced. I don't know that to be true, but have I never been contacted by anyone in a Walmart parking lot or any other store parking lot.

Although I understand Cracker Barrel encourages RV overnight stays, I have yet to eat at one that has enough room in their parking lot for me to get in or out. Maybe I have just not visited the right one yet.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On a recent trip, I was too tired to drive on with the fifth wheel.

Found a Home Depot off the highway, noticed a motorhome in the rear lot against the back. I inquired with the manager and they said it would be ok to overnight back there out of the way of shoppers.

Very well lighted and safe, so we stayed overnight.

No generators, no awnings or chairs outside they mentioned. Slides out ok.

Never hurts to ask where ever you are.

The problem locally here with Walmart's that allowed it, was they became overun with beater trailers and motorhomes owned by the homeless. It got out of control so the cities and management shut it down.

Another example of some ruin it for everyone.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Someone mentioned not being able to get into a Cracker Barrel. I got my 45 ft. pusher into one just the other day. I called ahead to make sure they had RV parking. We were only there to eat and did not stay overnight but could easily have done so. We were not, however, towing a vehicle. I still think we could have done it but it would have been a bit tighter.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #10

Depending on location, if it is near a collage or race track more than likely it is not allowed do to over crowding taking away from the business and too much tailgating
Old 08-05-2019, 08:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbucking View Post
I read on another discussion board that WalMart was cracking down on RV's spending the night in their parking lots. I realize that some WalMarts never have allowed parking overnight, but this mentioned that it was a "corporate decision" due to liability problems and that they were eliminating overnight RV parking. We occasionally will spend the night at a WalMart when the other options are limited. Have anyone experienced any new restrictions ?
If you read it on the internets it must be true, right? Was there a post of Chicken Little? The sky might be falling, too!!

The link in spdracr39's post above gives the official WalMart policy - it's the towns, cities and counties that are passing laws to regulate the use of private parking lots.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #12

Our local Wal-mart used to allow overnight, but the municipality passed an ordinance banning overnight parking. Police do enforce, but on occasion you still will see an RV parked overnight. This ordinance also impacted 18-wheelers.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtrailtrim View Post
Our local Wal-mart used to allow overnight, but the municipality passed an ordinance banning overnight parking. Police do enforce, but on occasion you still will see an RV parked overnight. This ordinance also impacted 18-wheelers.
Same here. There is a national RV park owners association that actually put out a packet on how to get local authorities to pass ordinances ourltlawi parking at Wal*Mart. The owner of a local RV park followed the info and now it is illegal here.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #14

A summary of the article I read (It was a few weeks ago, I wish I could find it, but I watch various news networks and subscribe to numerous RV discussion boards) was that Wal-Mart, per say, did not have a problem with parking overnight, but pointed out that Wal-Mart does not actually own the property or the building that they occupy. A third party owns the property and the building, and Wal-Mart leases the property from that third party. (This is a fairly common practice in today's retail world) and the it was the lease holders who were concerned about the liability which could actually fall back on them since they physically owned the property. It was well written and seemed factual. I hope this is not the case, but it gave me something to think about. I am just wondering if anyone could offer any intelligent insight.
Closed Thread